Brake shoes doing some squealing

Calm n Collected

Guest
My front brakes are squealing.
They are touching the rim same as the rear.
Any suggestions on how to stop it.

Thanks.

Calm n Collected <[email protected]> wrote:
> My front brakes are squealing.
> They are touching the rim same as the rear.
> Any suggestions on how to stop it.
>

> Thanks.

The first line of attack w/ squealing brakes is to ensure they are "toed"
in. Check here for a quick primer on brake adjustment:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_linearbrakes.shtml

'Course I've got a set of XT v-brakes that squeal like hell no matter what I
do to 'em. Eventually I figure I'll just swap out the pads and see if that
works. It doesn't bother much so I haven't felt like going through the
effort of swapping pads and adjusting everything again.

Tom

On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
Collected) wrote:

>My front brakes are squealing.
>They are touching the rim same as the rear.
>Any suggestions on how to stop it.
>

>Thanks.

Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
so.

Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a
1/4" length by 1/8" depth or so.

I try cleaning first, though.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:08:43 -0700, Dan Daniel wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n Collected)
> wrote:
>
>>My front brakes are squealing.
>>They are touching the rim same as the rear. Any suggestions on how to
>>stop it.
>>

>>Thanks.

> Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the brake
> pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or so.
>
> Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
> back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a 1/4"
> length by 1/8" depth or so.
>
> I try cleaning first, though.

Can't argue with the basics, but I'll add that some pads squeal more than
others, and in my experience it has little to do with price or quality,
but probably more with the harmonics of your bike and its relationship to
the universe. :p

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
> Collected) wrote:
>
> >My front brakes are squealing.
> >They are touching the rim same as the rear.
> >Any suggestions on how to stop it.
> >

> >Thanks.

> Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
> brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
> so.

Thanks, a light sanding with 80 grit did the job. I think sunlight and ozone
had hardened the pad up and the sanding exposed some fresh rubber.

Now I am trying to find a bike odometer that lasts. I bought the Target brand
and it quit after 10 days. It was nice not having to connect a cable to the wheel
like in the 60's. :)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:07:04 -0700, Calm n Collected wrote:

> Now I am trying to find a bike odometer that lasts.

I've always had luck with the simple Cat-eyes that are usually on sale
somewhere for under 20usd. Their tiny front and rear LED lights are highly
recommended for urban trips as well. Easy to remove, batteries last a
couple months and simple. Best for being seen, not for country lanes. I
think Nashbar sells clones for a tenner. :D

Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
> Collected) wrote:
>
> >My front brakes are squealing.
> >They are touching the rim same as the rear.
> >Any suggestions on how to stop it.
> >

> >Thanks.

> Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
> brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
> so.
>
> Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
> back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a
> 1/4" length by 1/8" depth or so.
>

> I try cleaning first, though.

I had cantilever brakes squeal like a stabbed pig regardless of
toe-in, cleaning, sanding and new pads. I found some play in the arm
to frame post pivots, so I inserted washers between the arms and the
bolts that hold the arms. BINGO! The washers had to be very thin so
that the arms would not be too tight, or the brakes would not release.
The washer holes had to be just big enough to fit through the frame
posts. No play, no squeal.