Brake troubles

Discussion in 'Singlespeed' started by Ajax215, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ajax215

Ajax215 New Member

I am new to the road bike scene and chose to rebuild an older bike making it into a single speed. I switched out the wheels and tires making my tire a lot thinner (700x25). My problem is that now my front brakes, even when fully lowered, will not reach my rim without hitting my tire when I squeeze it. I know this is bad so I disabled my front brake. My front brake is mounted on a bracket that does not allow it to lower as a single unit and my pads are all the way down. A little help?

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What kind of brakes are on the bike? Can you take a picture and post it?

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Quote:Originally Posted by Ajax215 . I am new to the road bike scene and chose to rebuild an older bike making it into a single speed. I switched out the wheels and tires making my tire a lot thinner (700x25). My problem is that now my front brakes, even when fully lowered, will not reach my rim without hitting my tire when I squeeze it. I know this is bad so I disabled my front brake. My front brake is mounted on a bracket that does not allow it to lower as a single unit and my pads are all the way down. A little help?

Whatever the reach is of your current front brake caliper, you probably need one with a longer reach.

If the current front caliper has 39-49 reach then you apparently need a caliper with 49-59 reach. If the current caliper has a 49-59 reach, then you need the next size up.

This is particularly true if your bike originally had 27" wheels before changing to the 700c wheels, BTW.

Tektro makes calipers in ALL reaches.

Check eBay.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

BTW. If your original wheels were 27", then YOU will want to actually measure the REACH between the brake caliper's MOUNTING BOLT & the middle of the rim's BRAKING SURFACE to ensure that you buy a brake caliper which has the appropriate REACH.