Brake upgrade for tourer

[email protected] schreef ...
> Marten Hoffmann wrote:
> > [email protected] schreef ...
> >
> >> Does the bike have fittings for disk brakes? I know
> >> it's total overkill on a commuter bike, but hydraulic
> >> disk brakes are extremely powerful and reliable and
> >> take very little effort at the lever.
> >
> > But alas quite a lot in the maintenance department.
> > Contrary to the HS- 33 or HS-66.
>
> Funny, I've not had to touch my disk brakes in four years
> apart from replacing the pads. Never managed that little
> maintenance with cantis and Vs

Of course there are numerous disk brakes that run without
extra maintenance. What I meant is that there is more to
possibly go wrong on disks than on HS-33s. And the disk
brakes are still very much in development. Meaning (among
other things) that production quality is not always as
"equal" as one would wish. It is for example very common
that if you take 5 Magura Julie disk brake sets, they will
all have a different amount of lever travel before it starts
to brake. And the penetration of air into the system is not
quite uncommon with disk brakes, far more than with you
average HS-33.

Again: disk brakes are the best brakes in terms of raw
braking power under any circumstance. But the most reliable
and fuss-free brake is still the HS-33.

--
Regards, Marten

In news:[email protected],
James Annan <[email protected]> typed:
> Ian Smith wrote:
>

>> (Plus, I can't imaging any hub brake that actually puts
>> the force right at the end - it's always some way up teh
>> blade, surely?)
>
> Well, it's a moment, innit, so there is always a force
> right at the tip, and another force an arbitrary distance
> up the blade...
>
> Congratulations on spelling "the" correctly twice in that
> sentence, BTW :)

Do you know how long I had to look at that sentence to find
both instances of 'the' in it?