Brakeless, To Be Or Not To Be.

oam3292

Jul 15, 2015
I get the whole feng shui mantra of the brakeless fixie riders but at the end of the day its a very risky endeavour, and I would discourage anyone here to emulate that especially in a dynamic city environment. Going brakeless is really more about cred than it is a performance boosting decision.

Meh. Riding without brakes has its advantages when you're out on the open road. It's not that dangerous if you know what you're doing. I wouldn't do it in the city, though. That's a recipe for hitting a very solid object at a very high speed and getting injured or killed.

This is the first time I've heard of a brakeless bike. I've heard of a braless biker but not a brakeless bike, hahahaaa, pardon me for the pun and laughter. What is there for the biker when the bike has no brakes? Risk. The brake has been invented not only for the safety of the biker but also for the safety of the third party. What if you are going to hit a pedestrian and you have no brake of speak of? It's good if you can use your feet to stop the bike.

I do not get the idea of going brakeless. What is the point? Is the feng shui thing you mentioned the real issue for the bike being brakeless? Does it counter the flow of a good chi or something?

A brake-less bike in a non-controlled environment? Natural selection springs to mind...

I've seen kiddies riding around with brake-less BMX's and while they do look nice with less cables everywhere they do look ridiculously dangerous. I know you can stop them by jamming your foot between the back wheel and the frame but that's not really practical is it?

I think one would have to be incredibly mindless and irresponsible to ride brake-less. Brakes are some of the most important components on any road vehicle and can simply not be ignored or be done away with. Anyone caught with bad brakes or without any brakes should be fined to the full extent of the law if they are caught. They are endangering their own lives and those of other road users with this stupid idea.

There's no way I'd ever feel comfortable on a brakeless bike, particularly not in traffic.
There are just too many ways for it to go wrong. Cycling can be dangerous as it is, especially when commuting, so I can't imagine taking brakes out of the mix on top of that.
Obviously there must be some upside if people are willing to do it but I just can't see it.
It seems a bit irresponsible as well, to knowingly commute in traffic with no brakes. At that point you're not just endangering yourself but possibly anyone else you're on the road with. What if you can't stop in time and a driver swerves to avoid you and ends up wrecking?
It just doesn't seem smart.

re talking about fixed gear track bikes, made for racing on closed, controlled tracks.
Percentage of people who might be capable of riding something like that in traffic?
I'd say below 1%........

I have had a brakeless bike when I was younger and it was good and lightweight while traveling long distance but now I as I am living in a city I wouldn't even think of it. It would be too dangerous for myself and the others.

I would never consider driving a brakeless bike, no matter how light it was. My brakes have helped keep me from hitting cars or other people more than I can count. Drivers are so unpredictable regarding when they'll stop and how much warning they'll give you. Riding safely to me means being alert and ready to swerve/stop at any moment.

Not at all. In my opinion, brakeless cycles are dangerous. Riding these cycles can be 'very' risky. It can even cost your life. So, I don't think that the a brakeless cycle is a good choice. I know it would be fun riding a brakeless bicycle but I don't want to lose my life just for 10-15 minutes of fun. :oops:

Anyone of you tried to stop the bicycle momentun with your own foot? Not recommended at least you are fond of bruises. Brakeless bicycles are a recipe for a potential tragedy, specially when going downhill.

I know you can stop them by jamming your foot between the back wheel and the frame but that's not really practical is it?

Anyone of you tried to stop the bicycle momentun with your own foot? Not recommended at least you are fond of bruises. Brakeless bicycles are a recipe for a potential tragedy, specially when going downhill.

Pretty sure OP is referring to fixie riders doing skid stops in-lieu of normal brakes. It's not as safe (and I think very co$tly in terms of tyre changes), but not as ridiculous or dangerous as jamming your back foot between your wheel and frame...

Brakeless bikes is something that doesn't make sense in my head, I mean, we cannot enjoy a good riding experience if the bike lacks breaks right?

When I first saw the thread I wasn't sure if it was a serious one or not, but judging by the replies then I guess riding a bike without brakes is actually a thing after all then.

It's not something that I'd do it recommend anyone else do either, what's next? No seat? No handlebars?

A brake-less bike in a non-controlled environment? Natural selection springs to mind...

I've seen kiddies riding around with brake-less BMX's and while they do look nice with less cables everywhere they do look ridiculously dangerous. I know you can stop them by jamming your foot between the back wheel and the frame but that's not really practical is it?
I remember when I was a teen, I would do that all the time. Now that I'm an adult I realize how reckless I was.

I remember when I was a teen, I would do that all the time. Now that I'm an adult I realize how reckless I was.

As a kid then you could get away with alsorts because...well, you was a kid and just wanted to have fun. Riding without brakes, riding with your hands folded, all good in the name of showing off to your friends. As we get older though our sense of fearlessness goes or to look at it another way, we just get a bit more common sense.