brakes for Nimble Crosswinds. cork

Brian Drake

Guest
A buddy let me borry his Crosswinds for IM Germany. When I took the bike
into the shop to get it tuned up before I leave the states, the shop told me
I had to buy 'cork' brakes or the pads I had on the bike (brand new) would
overheat and thus shred the carbon wheels, potentially causing the wheels to
fail and thus crash or ruin the wheels. Oh by the way he added, you cant
ride cork brake pads in the rain.... now another buddy of mine says this is
BS, that he has been riding his Crosswinds for years with normal pads....
should I bag the Nimbles and opt for my normal wheels for the race??
HELP!!!!

borrow.... wow, long day
"Brian Drake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A buddy let me borry his Crosswinds for IM Germany. When I took the bike
>into the shop to get it tuned up before I leave the states, the shop told
>me I had to buy 'cork' brakes or the pads I had on the bike (brand new)
>would overheat and thus shred the carbon wheels, potentially causing the
>wheels to fail and thus crash or ruin the wheels. Oh by the way he added,
>you cant ride cork brake pads in the rain.... now another buddy of mine
>says this is BS, that he has been riding his Crosswinds for years with
>normal pads.... should I bag the Nimbles and opt for my normal wheels for
>the race?? HELP!!!!

Hi Brian,

I used to have a set of Crosswinds and I normally used Koolstop ceramic or
Corima cork pads. I now have Corima and Nisseki all carbon wheels and I
only use the Corima pads. The guy at the shop is partly right. Rubber pads
can damage the rim surface under heavy braking or prolonged usage. Using
them for one race won't hurt the wheels, especially since you won't be using
the brakes very much.

As far as not being able to ride cork pads in the rain.... it sounds like
he's never tried it before. I've been caught in the rain on many an
occasion and they work just fine. There is some initial slippage when you
first try to brake on a wet rim, but the water is quickly shed away and the
brakes begin to grab just like normal.

Use the Crosswinds and go faster! You'll be fine for one race with the pads
that you've got. Make sure you have a pre-stretched tubular on hand in case
you get a flat.

Have Fun!

Alo

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:26:00 GMT, "Alo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Brian,
>
>I used to have a set of Crosswinds and I normally used Koolstop ceramic or
>Corima cork pads. I now have Corima and Nisseki all carbon wheels and I
>only use the Corima pads. The guy at the shop is partly right. Rubber pads
>can damage the rim surface under heavy braking or prolonged usage. Using
>them for one race won't hurt the wheels, especially since you won't be using
>the brakes very much.
>
>As far as not being able to ride cork pads in the rain.... it sounds like
>he's never tried it before. I've been caught in the rain on many an
>occasion and they work just fine. There is some initial slippage when you
>first try to brake on a wet rim, but the water is quickly shed away and the
>brakes begin to grab just like normal.

Is this rain performance with carbon or aluminum rims?

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com