Brakes for road bikes..wich the most powerful?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by zewol, Apr 1, 2004.

1. zewol

zewol New Member

HI all,

I am curently using 105 brakes as part of my gruppo and wanted to know how I could improve my braking efficiency. Is there a major difference between 105 and dura-ace??? or any other brand???

Maybe am I too demanding for wath a normal braking capacity may be on a road bike...I don't have any problems with my current brakes but I wanted to know how I can improve that aspect.

thanks in advance

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Better pads probably make more of a difference.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I agree on the pads.
    Also keeping the rim surface clean. I use 3M Scotch Brite.
    The cable and housing story is also important. See Sheldon's article at:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    Attention to all the details makes a significant difference.

4. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

If the cables are as frictionless as possible (i.e. clean, well-lubed and the housings no more bent than they need to be) and the spring tension in the calipers is as low as possible, that really helps.

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Byrne is right, but I've got to agree with boudreaux and dave -- in the end, it's a pretty simple mechanical process. Squeeze, clamp. The available calipers all function similarly enough that the biggest variables are the condition and make of your pads, and the condition and make of your braking surfaces.

Some combinations or pad and rim are just slipperier than others.

6. steve slator

steve slator New Member

tho' i've only just got them, so far my shimano 105 brakes onto mavic open pro rims are superb: v. powerful and progressive

7. madbiologist

madbiologist New Member

I live in San Francisco, and get to ride some steep slopes. Braking power counts around here. Up and down Mt. Tam, backside of Headlands, even in the city, coming down 15-20% grade slopes means that my brakes better work well, or I might be headed to the hospital (I am a fast descender). I was using a set of 2002 Campy Daytona calipers (identical to 2004 Centaur), double pivot front and rear, and on occasions I can lock up my rear wheel on tight corners because they are so powerful. I just tried a set of 2004 Chorus calipers (which are identical to Record except for no Titanium parts). They are smoother, but definitely weaker. The rear caliper is a joke. On fast descends, no matter how hard I grabed, couldn't lock the rear wheel. That might be a good thing, but they are definitely weaker. It's a controlled experiment because they were on the same bike, same cables, same wheels, same roads, and I even swapped brake pads. With the Daytona calipers, I can brake later before hitting a corner, with reassuring deceleration. It was a little scary with the Chorus. Just my experience.

8. zewol

zewol New Member

thanks for the infos.

but other than campy and shimano, are there any other brands for having a look... miche???zero gravity???any clones more powerful.

maybe am I too demanding in comparison of the v-brakes I was used to on my MTB... and the conditions are not very easy to ride at this time of the year where I live as there is still snow almost everywhere (except for the roads of course!)