Brakes on Greenspeed

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Elaine, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    Has anyone had trouble with their brakes on their Greenspeed? My husband's brakes locked up on him.
    He was trying to loosen them up and his brake fluid came out. Now he is having trouble finding the
    right brake fluid.

    Elaine

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I am very satisfied with my disk brake equipped 'bent bike. I lust for only a Greenspeed and
    Double Vision.

    I recently watched a gentleman with a new Greenspeed IIRC fretting with his hydraulic disks and now
    your plaint. If you can tell us more then perhaps we can help. Whose brakes and what kind of fluid
    is required. What did he do to lock or unlock them.

    Possibly 'thermal expansion' of the working fluid. Some manufacturers don't have this problem Have
    you corresponded with them?

    "Elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had trouble with their brakes on their Greenspeed? My
    husband's
    > brakes locked up on him. He was trying to loosen them up and his brake fluid came out. Now he is
    > having trouble finding the right brake fluid.
    >
    > Elaine

  3. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Elaine,

    There is a recent thread on this subject on the trike list. subject is something to do with GTE
    brakes in July archives.

    Ian Sims, owner of Greenspeed gave this reply.

    >>>Thanks for the guys who have given Fran advice on this problem.

    I had a similar problem when I put my trike on the train last week.

    I found my lightweight hand brake (rubber band) was not quite strong enough to hold the brake on and
    stop it rolling around in the carriage. So I screwed the adjuster right in to lock the brake on.

    However as the train journey was an hour, and it was much warmer in the train than it was outside on
    a cold winter's night, when I went to get off the train, I could not move the adjuster!

    So after I dragged the trike off the train, I struggled with the adjuster and it would not budge! So
    I took the little rubber cap off the bleed nipple at the bottom of the caliper, and carefully
    unscrewed the nipple with a wrench a fraction of turn untill a couple of drops of fluid came out,
    tightened it up again, and then the brakes were fine - and I could easily adjust them.

    The point I would like to make is the Hope calipers have return springs so that if the pads are
    against the discs, there is always a possitive pressure in the system, so there is no need to invert
    the trike. AND no need to squeeze the lever, which could lead to too much fluid being lost if the
    bleed nipple is open.

    Regards, Ian.

    Ian Sims, GREENSPEED Recumbent Trikes & HPVs, 69 Mountain Gate Drive, Ferntree Gully, VIC 3156,
    AUSTRALIA Phone +61 3 9758 5541, Fax +61 3 9752 4115, Email [email protected] Web pages
    http://www.greenspeed.com.au

    BTW, Hope disk brakes have been used on mountain bikes for sometime and you should be able to find
    help and fluids at a good mountain bike shop.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City