brakes placement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gerrit Van Wijk, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. With sleak vbrakes it seems to me a front brake could be behind the steerer tubes and the back brake
    could be in front of the seatstay tubes without getting in the way. It would give panniers more
    room. Could it lead to more squeeling? Or less brake power?

    Tags:

  2. Mike Miles

    Mike Miles Guest

    --On Friday, June 27, 2003 10:57 AM +0200 gerrit van wijk <[email protected]> wrote:

    > With sleak vbrakes it seems to me a front brake could be behind the steerer tubes and the back
    > brake could be in front of the seatstay tubes without getting in the way. It would give panniers
    > more room. Could it lead to more squeeling? Or less brake power?

    I think the problem would be what to mount the brake arms to, for they can't simply be
    free-floating, they need a secure point on the frame to pivot from. At least, this is the only major
    constraint I see.

    -Mike

  3. gerrit van wijk <[email protected]> wrote:
    >With sleak vbrakes it seems to me a front brake could be behind the steerer tubes and the back
    >brake could be in front of the seatstay tubes without getting in the way.

    If the front brake was behind the steerer tube, the arms would foul the downtube when the handlebars
    were rotated.

  4. "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > With sleak vbrakes it seems to me a front brake could be behind the
    steerer
    > tubes and the back brake could be in front of the seatstay tubes without getting in the way. It
    > would give panniers more room. Could it lead to more squeeling? Or less brake power?

    I suspect that cable routing also has a lot to do with it.

  5. NuTz4BiKeZ

    NuTz4BiKeZ New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2003
    I have placed the rear brake on the underside of the chainstays on my homebuilt recumbent... there has been no noticable drop in performance.

  6. Erik Brooks

    Erik Brooks Guest

    > I have placed the rear brake on the underside of the chainstays on my homebuilt recumbent... there
    > has been no noticable drop in performance.

    My 1988 mtn bike, still in use as a rainy day commuter bike, came new with the rear brakes mounted
    under the chainstays. They are plenty powerful ( more so than any of my road bikes) - but they tend
    to pick up lots of grit and such from the road, since they are so close to it. I've worn out 3 sets
    of rims on the rear only, since the rear brake pads so often act like sandpaper on the rims.

    I've recently fitted harder pads on the rear, and using the rear brake less.

    erik Brooks, Seattle commuter