brakes recommendation

RBS

Aug 7, 2003
hi folks

i'm building up a new road bike and have to choose brakes. i want brakes that are quick to respond while riding on the hoods. right now i'm using a pair of coda calipers that i cannibalized from a cannondale. i can lock the wheels only when i'm in the drops where one has greater leverage. i'd like brakes that require less effort when on the hoods ( riding in nyc you need to be ready for the unexpected all the time). i've heard through the grapevine (don't know reliability of such info) that campy records have greater stopping power than shimano calipers. what do you all think?

thanks

bob

Originally posted by RBS
hi folks

i'm building up a new road bike and have to choose brakes. i want brakes that are quick to respond while riding on the hoods. right now i'm using a pair of coda calipers that i cannibalized from a cannondale. i can lock the wheels only when i'm in the drops where one has greater leverage. i'd like brakes that require less effort when on the hoods ( riding in nyc you need to be ready for the unexpected all the time). i've heard through the grapevine (don't know reliability of such info) that campy records have greater stopping power than shimano calipers. what do you all think?

thanks

bob

i dunno i used to ride really cheap no name brakes and when i had to stop they sure as hell stopped me cause they had to or else.

Originally posted by RBS
i can lock the wheels only when i'm in the drops where one has greater leverage.
Locking the wheels is bad business. Clean rims and diferent pads can make as much difference as expepnsive calipers.

IMO the Campag Centaur brakes on my road bike have better feel and are more responsive than the Shimano Tiagra ones on my roomie's bike, FWIW.

Yeah the Campag Centaur brakes on my best bike are far superior to the Ultegra ones on my winter bike. Much more positive, solid braking. They look more beautiful too which is a bonus.

Dual pivot brakes are stronger than side-pulls. Among dual-pivots, campy get lots of positive feedbacks. In fact, Campagnolo brakes for the front and rear are not identical compared to other brands that use identical front & rear brakes. Front campy brakes have a little more material on the arms and therefore more rigid versus rear brakes because the torsional forces at the front are greater than the rear. This attention to detail make them great brakes indeed.