brakes upgrade

frenk

Jun 28, 2003
Hi everybody! I've been reading this forums since long time but this is my first post.

Here's the question: I'm riding a student-budget Pinarello cadore, steel frame, Campy Mirage (the old one, Ergopower but still with single-pivot calipers).

For a new complete bike I'll have to wait one year more, so now I wanted to make some "cheap" upgrades.
I was thinking about new dual-pivot brakes, the actual ones are not so efficient...
Is it a good idea?
Which calipers are compatible with my setup? For example Shimano 105? Or the shimano are not at all compatible with campy levers?
Or maybe there are some other more effective upgrade before this?

Thanks, greetings from Switzerland!

Frenk

Any Shimano will work with Campy or vice-versa. Wouldn't get too worked up about a particular caliper being noticeably better than another though - I've used Durace and 105 and found them no different. My daughters bike has Tiagra on it and it doesn't seem any different either. It's much more important that you deglaze the pads every now and then, keep the rims clean and have smooth cables properly adjusted. Like a lot of bike components, most of the difference is just finish and weight with the rest marketing bull****. Forget the brakes and save up for a wheel upgrade instead - then you will notice a difference and get value for money.

Hope that helps.