Braking, I need technique

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Bionicbri, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Bionicbri

Bionicbri New Member

Hi, I want to know if anyone can give me some tips on how to practice proper braking technique. I want to be able to wheelie, manual, and even learn how to properly brake on going down a mountain. Is there anything that I can practice to improve my control? If you know any websites or tips, please help me out. Thanks

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

The only way to improve technique is to get out and ride. Then ride some more.

3. Super Otaku

Super Otaku New Member

Well the best way to get a good and easy braking is to be ble to brake with one finger. First of all, make sure your brakes are properly set up. Make sure you are comfortable on squeezing the levers, the length, and the angle. The brakes have to stop you once you lock your fingers on the brake levers, which means you squeeze it with all your strength. If they don't stop you, see your loocal bike shop for check.

Going downhill requires the "feathering" technique. It is just touching the brake levers to slow you down a bit when you feel that you are going faster than you wanted to.

Proper braking techniques for the tricks/techniques you wanted to do is posted on this site:

http://www.bcmbg.com/bcmbg.asp?File=/resources/riding_tech/riding_tech.asp

4. RC2

RC2 New Member

Another key -- pay a lot of attention to the front brake. I rarely use my back brake. For minimum stopping distance in most conditions, 100% front brake is the key. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html for the rundown.

Use the rear brake when there is very low traction (skidding the front means no steering control, a Bad Thing), or on long descents where you want to keep the front cool for better performance in an emergency scenario, and to even out rim wear.

5. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

I agree strongly with RC2. Real braking is accomplished with the front brake, as there is a strong weight transfer to the front wheel during hard braking which
    emphesizes it's role. I still apply back brake moderately, mostly because "I feel" that it tends to stabilize control and direction.

Try not to brake in a turn, as this applies additonal forces to your already hard working tires, and could cause loss of control. Hard breaking in a turn tends to force you upright out of you lean, a very bad thing!

6. Bionicbri

Bionicbri New Member

Thanks alot you guys, I'm going to try all these things. I've found that I'm starting to get a better feel for what I'm supposed to be doing. I just needed a little theory to get it running in my mind. If you got anymore insights, please let me know. Right now I'm going to go out and ride. Thanks alot:D

7. JSWin

JSWin Member

This is funny. Wheelies, really? There must be some youtube videos on how to do that.

8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Dredging up old, retarded threads, he needs technique.

9. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Yeah, what's with all the zombie threads being revived?

10. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

check it I bet all the flotsam is gonna be from 2005 today. :D