braking surface rim wear?

how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
underneath?

On 25 Apr 2005 12:25:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?

Only the rim manufacturer knows. (If they know.) For some cheap rims
I've seen, if you can feel the lip, chuck the wheel before it blows
out.

>does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?

Not in my experience.

>to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
>underneath?

That much wear is probably way too much.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

feel whose lip?
feel the lip?
i can set those guys who follow me around on you you know!
feel the lip
everyone's a bin settin round watching expletive deletd tv and their
brains done gone to

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
> does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
> to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
> underneath?

On unmachines rims and whole lot.

On machined rims there are failures fairly early in the wear life because
there are wave patterns in the extrusion and machining makes the low spots
in those waves much thinner than the tops of the waves. The make the
extrusion thicker than they think is necessary but they are constrained by
the buyer's habit of always wanting a lighter rim. This leads them to cut it
as close as possible to meet parket expectations.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
>>does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
>>to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
>>underneath?

> On unmachines rims and whole lot.
>
> On machined rims there are failures fairly early in the wear life because
> there are wave patterns in the extrusion and machining makes the low spots
> in those waves much thinner than the tops of the waves. The make the
> extrusion thicker than they think is necessary but they are constrained by
> the buyer's habit of always wanting a lighter rim. This leads them to cut it
> as close as possible to meet parket expectations.

more jobstian drivel thoughtlessly parroted. true, there are
differences in wall thickness in an extrusion, but it's untrue that
machining makes the slightest difference to their wear-through variance.
- the brake pads are essentially "fixed", particularly for dual pivot
calipers, hence they "machine" a rim relative to the interior face in
excatly the same way as a lathe does.

[email protected] wrote:
> how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
> does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
> to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
> underneath?

think it's about 0.5mm each face. credit card too thick for that. no,
truing makes no difference. better off measuring the pad-to-pad rim
thickness when new, then monitoring during service - depending on a lip
forming is too presumptive that one will. best of all, get a rim with
wear indicators built in.

jim beam wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
>>> does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
>>> to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
>>> underneath?

>> On unmachines rims and whole lot.
>>
>> On machined rims there are failures fairly early in the wear life
>> because there are wave patterns in the extrusion and machining makes
>> the low spots in those waves much thinner than the tops of the waves.
>> The make the extrusion thicker than they think is necessary but they
>> are constrained by the buyer's habit of always wanting a lighter rim.
>> This leads them to cut it as close as possible to meet parket
>> expectations.
>>

> more jobstian drivel thoughtlessly parroted. true, there are
> differences in wall thickness in an extrusion, but it's untrue that
> machining makes the slightest difference to their wear-through variance.

First of all, you misunderstand the concept behind the argument; an
extrusion that has a constant wall thickness but is not perfectly
straight, as in the case of bicycle rims, produces a "wavy" wall profile
that needs to be straightened so as to have an essentially "flat-walled"
rim. Manufacturers do this by machining the walls flat to get rid of
the "wavy" profile. When this happens, it is obvious that a section of
the "wavy" wall that protrudes from the reference point will get
machined, resulting in a thinner section compared to a section which is
depressed from the reference point, and therefore will not be machined
as much. It follows then that you will have a rim where the walls will
vary in thickness after machining. It's quite plausible that the brakes
can wear away the thinner machined sections to minimum required
thickness for structural integrity much earlier than intended by the
manufacturer, had the rim had even wall thickness.

Even if we take your understanding as an argument by itself, if there is
variation in rim wall thickness after extrusion, machining will make the
thinner parts of the wall even thinner. Which part of that do you
misunderstand?

> - the brake pads are essentially "fixed", particularly for dual pivot
> calipers, hence they "machine" a rim relative to the interior face in
> excatly the same way as a lathe does.

So you should not have any problems imagining that thinner sections of
the walls, as produced from the process described above, will wear away
to the minimum faster than the thicker sections.

Your criticism of "Jobstian drivel" is itself thoughtlessly spewed forth.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[ concerning bicycle rims, their varying thickness during manufacture, and
the danger of subsequent machining of the rim to produce a constant rim
width - the thin spots will wear through... ]

> more jobstian drivel thoughtlessly parroted. true, there are
> differences in wall thickness in an extrusion, but it's untrue that
> machining makes the slightest difference to their wear-through variance.
> - the brake pads are essentially "fixed", particularly for dual pivot
> calipers, hence they "machine" a rim relative to the interior face in
> excatly the same way as a lathe does.

a) they're not "fixed" like a lathe. A bicycle brakepad is made with
rubber, the bearings are sloppy, and the mounting is not anywhere near as
rigid as a lathe toolpost.

b) lathes do not machine a part relative to any surface of that part. They
machine relative the the surfaces of the lathe.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>how much wear on the rim's braking area before the rim weakens?
>does excessive wear beyond safety limits show up in the truing process?
>to measure-span the high outsides and slip a credit card thickness
>underneath?

Did you check the FAQ? I'm pretty sure this is covered in the FAQ.
Alex