Brand name matter

tdcadillac

Jul 1, 2020
Hello all,
I found a Norco Valence 105 on good price.
I heart that bikes with same specs are all the same except that when you resell the bike the brand name hold its value and also for service the brand name has a good service
is it true that with the same specs it doesn't matter Norco vs Cannondale ?

I don't know about you, but when I buy a bike I don't buy it intending to sell it at some point, so the resale potential means nothing to me.

I still have my last racing bike I bought while competing made in 1984, I keep all my bikes unless I give one away to someone who needs it like my oldest grandkid got one of mine. I did have a collection of 2 Miyata's from the 80's, a 88 712 and a 87 Team, both were in excellent condition and had very low miles on them, some guy saw the bikes while I was cleaning out the garage and asked if I would sell them, I said no, but he gave me a great offer for the both, so I sold them, I wasn't riding them anyways. I bought the Team brand new, it was to be my backup bike to my main racing bike, but I never used it. I think I had maybe 2000 miles at the most on it; the other one I found in a garage sale, not sure the mileage on it, but the owner claimed it was low, nothing was worn out on it so i can assume it had low miles.

I still had one Miyata left that I found on the side of the road, a 512, I kept that bike, the guy didn't want it, but I gave the 512 to my grandson this summer.

I don't know about you, but when I buy a bike I don't buy it intending to sell it at some point, so the resale potential means nothing to me.

I still have my last racing bike I bought while competing made in 1984, I keep all my bikes unless I give one away to someone who needs it like my oldest grandkid got one of mine. I did have a collection of 2 Miyata's from the 80's, a 88 712 and a 87 Team, both were in excellent condition and had very low miles on them, some guy saw the bikes while I was cleaning out the garage and asked if I would sell them, I said no, but he gave me a great offer for the both, so I sold them, I wasn't riding them anyways. I bought the Team brand new, it was to be my backup bike to my main racing bike, but I never used it. I think I had maybe 2000 miles at the most on it; the other one I found in a garage sale, not sure the mileage on it, but the owner claimed it was low, nothing was worn out on it so i can assume it had low miles.

I still had one Miyata left that I found on the side of the road, a 512, I kept that bike, the guy didn't want it, but I gave the 512 to my grandson this summer.
Hopefully I will get the right bike and avoid selling it in the future. My main fear is end-up with a bike that will not meet my need in the next 3 years.
I want to use it now for training and after 3 years do a triathlon sprint or Olympic.
do you use a different bike for racing and training?

Hopefully I will get the right bike and avoid selling it in the future. My main fear is end-up with a bike that will not meet my need in the next 3 years.
I want to use it now for training and after 3 years do a triathlon sprint or Olympic.
do you use a different bike for racing and training?

I don't race anymore, I use to between 1975 and 1989. When I trained and race I only used one bike, because I was attending college, was married, and had a child, so money was tight. I got lucky that I never crashed in a race but I did crash my first racing bike while commuting. I did use my racing bike for commuting but that was because after work our team got together to train. I later, when I was working I had a bit of money so in 1988 I bought the Miyata Team as a back up bike in case I crashed out, that never happened so the Miyata went largely unused, in fact it never got used for racing or training

I only did road racing, I didn't do triathlons, but once I did a 3 legged, or 3 person triathlon, where one person swam, another rode a bike (me), and another ran.

In 1976 i bought a Trek TX900 in Santa Barbara where I use to live at a bike shop called Open Air Bicycle that use to be located at the old depot station, they since moved to some location on State St, anyway that was my first racing bike. 2 years after I bought it I sold the bike and quit racing for a short time because back in those days women thought it strange that a guy would have a nicer bike than his car, so in order to date women I sold the bike and my car, combined the money and put a down payment on a better car.

So here is the weird part; last week I was visiting the Vintage Trek site, which I hadn't been to in quite a few years, on their main page about 3/4 of the way down starting where it says HOW TO CONTACT ME, there is a story, I was reading the whole page and then read the story, as you read the story you get to a place where it says MY TREKS that story about the teenager that sold his bike...that teenager was me!

Read: http://vintage-trek.com/

There are some minor errors in the story, I bought the bike in 76 not 77; the writer went a bit overboard calling me an accomplished racer! LOL! I was 20 when i bought the bike and sold it when I was 22 not 16, but I always looked really young for my age so he probably thought I was a teenager and with the story I told him about needing a car he assumed I was 16, maybe I lied to him about my age because I needed pity to buy a car! but the story is close enough. At first when I got to the part about the teen I wasn't keyed in on the story yet till he starts explaining the parts, they were the same parts I had put on the bike. The parts I had put on the bike were parts the bike shop had that either never sold but most were lightly used, which is why there were parts from 1973 on my bike, I think one of the Campy parts was from 1971. I didn't know the writer Skip other than when I sold my bike to him (I had long forgotten his name, and even now it doesn't really ring any bells) and he asked why I was selling it, so that's how he knows the story of why. I think Skip may have had connections with Open Air Bicycles because Skip found out about the bike through them because I went to Open Air to see if they would buy the bike, they didn't want the bike, but thought they might know someone who might be interested.

I don't recall too much about the conversation between myself and that Skip guy due to the passage of time.

Reactions: tdcadillac