brand new to cycling, have shifting question

twspecialized

May 30, 2007
I just bought my first road bike and i dont think i have the shifting down right. Its my first bike with the shifting in the brake lever. Can someone run me threw it? Thanks

twspecialized said:
I just bought my first road bike and i dont think i have the shifting down right. Its my first bike with the shifting in the brake lever. Can someone run me threw it? Thanks

Move the inside lever towards the wheel to downshift and the brake lever inwards to upshift.

twspecialized said:
Thanks for the help, sorry for the dumb beginner question
Might be a dumber question: What system are you using, Shimano or Campagnolo Ergo? The thumb lever works differently on Campy system: Right side, thumb: up, lever in: down. Left side, thumb: down, lever in: up. Just in case!:)

twspecialized said:
Thanks for the help, sorry for the dumb beginner question

My example pertains to Shimano STI models.

No dumb questions, just dumb answers. Welcome!!!

right STI levers for the rear gears.

Left STI levers for the front gears.

+ when you're shifting, don't cross the chain i.e.(Biggest diameter front cog & Biggest diameter rear cog combination).

To avoid this, for example when you're in the biggest diameter front cog, don't shift unto the last two rear cogs nearest to the rear wheel. Instead shift the front gear to the smaller gear if you must access those last two gears.

Summary: For each front gear, there are two back gears you should avoid using.

willocrew said:
right STI levers for the rear gears.

Left STI levers for the front gears.

+ when you're shifting, don't cross the chain i.e.(Biggest diameter front cog & Biggest diameter rear cog combination).

To avoid this, for example when you're in the biggest diameter front cog, don't shift unto the last two rear cogs nearest to the rear wheel. Instead shift the front gear to the smaller gear if you must access those last two gears.

Summary: For each front gear, there are two back gears you should avoid using.
Unless you are using a triple crankset.

in addition to the above, here's another way to figure out your shifters: small levers to go to the small ring/cogs, big lever to go to the big ring/cogs.

boon