Brand Spanking new to road bikes... Raleigh sport?

testdummy

Mar 19, 2010
Hey all, Im thinking about getting into road cycling. Im very athletic and competitive when it comes to sports and love going fast. I mostly ran distnace for the past 6-7 years of my life. I went to a few stores on longisland today to see what i could find. The best looking to me that was good on price was the raleigh sport - heres the link for 630$ im not thinking its a bad bike for me to start on, but i do want something that is going to last me for awhile, not a piece of junk.... and its more affordable : ) I know at the store they shoud help to see if it fits me, but is there anything I should know about this bike or anything i should know in general about purchasing and road bike? thank you

There's a dilemma for most people when buying a road bike for the first time. That bike up there pretty much belongs to the bottom line of new road bikes, so IF you're still cycling seriously three years from now you'll probably want some more bling. However, if you buy an expensive bike and later decide you don't like road cycling, you'll have wasted a pretty big investment.

When I started road cycling I bought a bike similar to this (2002-03 Trek 1000), which did most of the things I asked it to do, but when I started racing I decided that I needed something better. That bike up there will probably give you a good introduction to what it's like to be on a road bike. You won't be able to do some things though. For instance, with Shimano 2200 or Sora you won't be able to shift up from the drops (the bottom of the handlebars). This isn't really a problem unless you need race-level responsiveness, as most people can probably shift up before they move their hands to the drops.

Another question is, what's your budget? If you have money to spare, I would suggest getting something higher-end (like Shimano 105), but if you don't (i.e., student) you should get something on the lower-end. Eventually you will have to replace parts, for instance, a chain every 500-2000 miles, and a cassette every 15,000-20,000 miles, depending on your riding style and how well you maintain your parts. For 8-Speed groups, replacement parts aren't very expensive since you can get 8-speed chains and cassettes for around $20. However, for 9 and 10 speed groups these replacement parts are more than twice, or even three times as expensive (A Campy Super-Record 11-speed cassette costs $450!!!).

Anyways, I probably can't tell you whether or not to buy that bike since I've never ridden it. To open up your options, however, you can consider buying a used bike. There are a lot of people who buy expensive bikes, ride them for very few miles and decide they don't want them anymore, and sell them for much cheaper. This will allow you to buy upper-end bikes for a bargain. However, I would only recommend that you do this if you really know what you want, and know what size you are, and if you know how to tell if the bike is in good condition.

thank you for that, I went to my local bike shop today and was told that the Fuji newest series would be a good bike for me for my price range - wish is about under $900. He had none in stock because he sold his last but told me that the Fuji newest 3.0 and 2.0 would be something for me to look into and that he should be getting another one in next week. Does anyone have any experience or know about the Fuji Newest 3.0 or 2.0 ?

I can't tell you anything about the Fuji's, though I do have a Fuji Marseille that I find to be very reliable. I forgot to mention a few more expenses that you might have in the future.

Once you get into road biking, you'll probably want to buy shoes and clipless pedals. These are pretty expensive and can cost you anywhere from $100-$500 depending on how good of a combination you want. Additional expenses for a novice road biker are: tools, flat kit, saddle bag, spare tubes, helmet, clothing, floor pump, frame pump/CO2, etc. There's probably more I'm missing, but it's a start.

Happy hunting

testdummy said:
thank you for that, I went to my local bike shop today and was told that the Fuji newest series would be a good bike for me for my price range - wish is about under $900. He had none in stock because he sold his last but told me that the Fuji newest 3.0 and 2.0 would be something for me to look into and that he should be getting another one in next week. Does anyone have any experience or know about the Fuji Newest 3.0 or 2.0 ?
If you have (which is to say, "If I had ...") a limited budget & was looking at the new bikes you indicated, I would get the RALEIGH ... then I would remove the 8-speed shifters & re-sell them on eBay (you'll get $100-or-more) AND THEN buy a pair of non-QS Campagnolo 10-speed shifters which will index perfectly with the existing 8-speed Shimano components on the Raleigh ...

IMO, if you repack the bearings & adjust the cones on the wheels (presuming loose bearings) and you'll have as good-or-better a bike than if you ponied up $1500+ at your bike shop.

IMO, if you change the hubs/wheels & BB/crankset then you'll have a better bike than if you had spent $2000 at your bike shop.