Brands and what they are best known for

SilentShifter

Aug 23, 2005
I am just getting into the road bike scene and have a question on what companies are known for doing things the best.

In other words what companies are best known for their rims, components, forks, seat posts, saddles, etc.? I am probably a long way from making any changes or upgrades, but when I get around to it, I want to be prepared.

I know some companies make a little of everything so what I am looking for is a company that is known for manufacturing one type of product better than other companies for the above said categories (or other ones as well).

Thanks so much!

SilentShifter said:
I am just getting into the road bike scene and have a question on what companies are known for doing things the best.

In other words what companies are best known for their rims, components, forks, seat posts, saddles, etc.? I am probably a long way from making any changes or upgrades, but when I get around to it, I want to be prepared.

I know some companies make a little of everything so what I am looking for is a company that is known for manufacturing one type of product better than other companies for the above said categories (or other ones as well).

Thanks so much!
Rims: Mavic, American Classic, Velocity (to name a few) all make excellent rims. You can buy machine built rims, or hand built. I tend to prefer hand built (you pick out the rim, the hub, and the spokes and someone builds it for you).

Components: Shimano and Campagnolo (Campy) - don't start a fued by asking which is better, they're both good, and each side has its loyal followers

Saddle: Whichever one fits good on your ****

3T, Bontrager,ITM make good bars, stems and seatposts.

Vredestein, Michelin, Continental make good tyres and inner tubes.
Time, Shimano, Look, make good clipless pedals.

badkarma said:
Rims: Mavic, American Classic, Velocity (to name a few) all make excellent rims. You can buy machine built rims, or hand built. I tend to prefer hand built (you pick out the rim, the hub, and the spokes and someone builds it for you).
if you can afford them get Zipp wheels.

SilentShifter said:

Thanks so much!
Reynolds makes a very nice fork, The Ouzo Pro. Easton makes an outstanding carbon seatpost, the EC90. Thomson makes a fine aluminum seatpost. My Bar/Stem combo of choice is Ritchey WCS. It's light, stiff and can be significantly cheaper than some of the Italian brands (Deda, 3TTT, ITM).

In terms of saddles look at: Selle Italia, Selle San Marco and Fizik. One of those will fit your bum. :)

take a look at the pro peloton. statistically the most popular are...:

wheels - mavic
tyres - vittoria
bars, stems, seatposts - deadm
,groupsets - shimano
saddles - fizik
pedals - look

It's about what you can afford, what you're comforatble with and what you want to do with it.

I'm a 100 mile a week guy and I ride a Principia aluminium frame and Isaac carbon forks with a mix of Shimano 105 & Ultegra bits. I've got Vredstein tyres on Mavic rims & hubs, my backside parks on a Gipemme saddle which is VERY comfortable and I hang onto a 3T bar & stem combo. It's a fast and comfy setup, didn't cost the earth and looks damned good in red frame & black 105 setup!

You pays your money you takes your choice. You want Campy, get Campy. You want (& can afford!) Zipp wheels, get Zipp wheel.

Things that some people prefer might not be what you prefer. A saddle made by the top saddle manufactor might feel ungodly uncomfortable on you.

That being said, right now my favorite for tires is Bontrager. I haven't been riding long enough to have other preferences. I rode a while back and used the Bontrager hardcase tire. VERY puncture resistant. Right now I am using the Bontrager race lites. Also very puncture resistant, though the hardcase helps stop pinch flats.

-Matt

Really, if you peruse the various bike companies' sites, check out the specs on the bikes, starting with the high end. Lower end bikes in a manufacturer's line will typically have no-name or minor-name parts on them. You can use this as a guide to who does what well. Of course, some bike makers will put in-house components on in some situations. Cannondale and Specialized both do this. Not to say that they don't make fine cranksets, handlebars, stems, etc., and in some cases even excellent stuff, but you have to remind yourself of what dollar level you're looking at. Sometimes an in-house component is a cost-cutting measure on their part, and might either be a less than stellar item or heavier than sin. Trek, seeing they own half the known universe, treats Bontrager as an in-house component manufacturer, obviously. What I guess I'm trying to say is that even the "name" manufacturers do make ****, depending on the price point they're trying to hit and whether it's OEM on a lower rank bike. Yes, a $400 bike might come with Shimano, but it's going to likely be Sora, and no one needs to be inflicted with that. :D

light, strong, cheap: pick any of the two.

one USA manuf i always stand behind is Thomson posts, made in georgia.

not uber light, not as sexy as CF, and not cheap, but:

bolt it on, and forget about it forever! my kind of part. :)