Braqke Pads/Shoes

E & V Willson

Guest
I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.

Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Ernie

"E & V Willson" wrote:
> I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
> presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
> present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
>
> Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
> appreciated.

That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
performance.

Art Harris

Art,

I'll try the Kool Stops.

BTW the cables are new, and the rims are alloy, although I sometimes use a second set which are
polished steel.

Thanks for your reply, Ernie

Harris wrote:

> "E & V Willson" wrote:
> > I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
> > presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
> > present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
> >
> > Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental
>
> But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
> be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
> performance.
>
> Art Harris

[email protected] (Fred Hinkson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Try Kool Stops or Aztec by Delta.
>
> MTB Ride hard die free.

I have used the Aztec road shoes, but have given up on them. The stop well, but the road pads
invariably come loose from the holder. They are only retained under a load by two shallow pins
molded into the back of the pad. The pads are glued onto the holder. I had one fly off while riding
recently and did not realize what I had heard until I tried to stop. Almost every time I removed a
wheel, one or both pads would end up on the ground.