Braqke Pads/Shoes

Status

E & V Willson

Guest
I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.

Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Ernie

Harris

Guest
"E & V Willson" wrote:
> I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
> presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
> present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
>
> Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
> appreciated.

That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
performance.

Art Harris

E & V Willson

Guest
Art,

I'll try the Kool Stops.

BTW the cables are new, and the rims are alloy, although I sometimes use a second set which are
polished steel.

Thanks for your reply, Ernie

Harris wrote:

> "E & V Willson" wrote:
> > I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
> > presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
> > present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
> >
> > Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental
>
> But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
> be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
> performance.
>
> Art Harris

Dougc

Guest
[email protected] (Fred Hinkson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Try Kool Stops or Aztec by Delta.
>
> MTB Ride hard die free.

I have used the Aztec road shoes, but have given up on them. The stop well, but the road pads
invariably come loose from the holder. They are only retained under a load by two shallow pins
molded into the back of the pad. The pads are glued onto the holder. I had one fly off while riding
recently and did not realize what I had heard until I tried to stop. Almost every time I removed a
wheel, one or both pads would end up on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.