Braqke Pads/Shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by E & V Willson, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
    presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
    present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.

    Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks, Ernie

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "E & V Willson" wrote:
    > I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
    > presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
    > present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
    >
    > Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental

    But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
    be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
    performance.

    Art Harris

  3. Art,

    I'll try the Kool Stops.

    BTW the cables are new, and the rims are alloy, although I sometimes use a second set which are
    polished steel.

    Thanks for your reply, Ernie

    Harris wrote:

    > "E & V Willson" wrote:
    > > I am fed up with the shoes on my 1970's road bike. It has Dia-comp caliper brakes. The pads
    > > presently installed are a no name special. They were on the bike when I bought it used. With the
    > > present pads it feels like I can stop faster by dragging my feet.
    > >
    > > Recommendations as to the best brand/model shoes to improve the stopping power will be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    >
    > That's easy. You want the Kool Stop "Continentals" with salmon colored pads. See:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#continental
    >
    > But I'd also check some other things that could affect braking. Do you have steel rims? That could
    > be a factor, especially in the rain. Also, replacing your cables and housings may improve
    > performance.
    >
    > Art Harris

  4. Dougc

    Dougc Guest

    [email protected] (Fred Hinkson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Try Kool Stops or Aztec by Delta.
    >
    > MTB Ride hard die free.

    I have used the Aztec road shoes, but have given up on them. The stop well, but the road pads
    invariably come loose from the holder. They are only retained under a load by two shallow pins
    molded into the back of the pad. The pads are glued onto the holder. I had one fly off while riding
    recently and did not realize what I had heard until I tried to stop. Almost every time I removed a
    wheel, one or both pads would end up on the ground.