Brass washers for spoke heads - 2.2 or 2.5mm

Stein Ballangru

Guest
When using brass washers (from DT Swiss) between the spoke heads and the hub flanges; when do I use
2.2mm washers and when do I use 2.5mm? Are the 2.5mm washers only nescessary for spokes larger than
2.2mm, or do the spoke hole diameters in the hubs have something to do with it as well?

Stein

Stein Ballangrud Andersen writes:

> When using brass washers (from DT Swiss) between the spoke heads and the hub flanges; when do I
> use 2.2mm washers and when do I use
> 2.5mm? Are the 2.5mm washers only necessary for spokes larger than
> 2.2mm, or do the spoke hole diameters in the hubs have something to do with it as well?

What is the purported purpose of these washers?

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

* [email protected]
> Stein Ballangrud Andersen writes:
>
> > When using brass washers (from DT Swiss) between the spoke heads and the hub flanges; when do I
> > use 2.2mm washers and when do I use
> > 2.5mm? Are the 2.5mm washers only necessary for spokes larger than
> > 2.2mm, or do the spoke hole diameters in the hubs have something to do with it as well?
>
> What is the purported purpose of these washers?

Initially, I believed (the marketoids who claimed) that such washers allowed the spoke heads to sit
tighter and without play in the spoke holes, thereby making the wheel less likely to becoming
untrue, and reduce wear on the spoke elbows. After a bit of googling on the subject, I'm not really
sure. Maybe such washers are only needed with (too) large spoke holes or too thin hub flanges. What
do you think? I usually use DT
2./1.8/2.0 spokes and Shimano hubs.

Stein