Brasstown Bald Profile and Times?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by joemw, Jan 22, 2007.

1. joemw

joemw New Member

I'm trying to get an idea on the metrics for the final climb up Brasstown Bald. All I've found on the net so far is that it's "very hard." Something a bit more specific would be nice. How fast the top GC guys go up would be interesting to know as well. More specifically, I've been wondering if it's comparable to a climb out my way; the Palm Springs Tram Road which is 3.5 miles with a gain of just under 2200'.

Tags:

2. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Here's the profile from the Tour de Georgia. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/apr06/georgia06/?id=stages/georgia065. From the base, it looks to go from about 2000' to the summit (4784') in a bit under 10ml. That's 2784' climbing in 10ml, which equates to average of 5.3%...but that includes the small downhill section before it kicks up again. That final section looks like about 3ml climbing from ~2700' to the summit...if my very rough estimates are right, that would make the final section average 13.9%! These are just estimates based on this profile...I'm sure that with GoogleEarth, you could do something more accurate.

GoogleEarth might be useful in checking alititude.

3. Walrus

Walrus New Member

ps. based on your stats, Palm Springs Tram Road would be 3.5ml @ average 11.9%...so not quite as steep...but steep enough :D

4. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

It hurts more than you think... hahaha

5. cdy291

cdy291 New Member

you will be doing good if you can do 10mph in a car.