Brasstown Bald Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I know that the BB climb goes over 20% at some points. Does anyone know the
    maximum %grade and for how long it stays that way and/or above 20%? I've
    used a topo program on it and there are some readings of 30+%. Topo isn't
    always accurate though.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > I know that the BB climb goes over 20% at some points. Does anyone know the
    > maximum %grade and for how long it stays that way and/or above 20%? I've
    > used a topo program on it and there are some readings of 30+%. Topo isn't
    > always accurate though.

    A long time ago I drove to the top in a econobox Dodge Colt. It
    had a manual transmission and most of the way up I had it in
    2nd gear. There was one really nasty stretch not too far from
    the top where I had to slip it into 1st to keep it going. It
    was the only paved climb I ever went up in that car where I
    had to do that.

    When I rode up, that was the point where I had to circle a little
    bit and recover so I could make it to the top without putting a
    foot down. It's a bitch of a climb.

    Bob Schwartz

  3. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    Bob Schwartz wrote:
    > When I rode up, that was the point where I had to circle a little
    > bit and recover so I could make it to the top without putting a
    > foot down. It's a bitch of a climb.

    Typical fattie trackie wanking...

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Mark Fennell wrote:
    > fattie trackie wanking...

    Redundant terms.

    Bob Schwartz

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Check out http://www.mountainmapper.com/SARC_nav.htm,

    They have a lot of details on several appalachian climbs including BB.
    Some details on the climb below

    Stats:
    1800' climb
    3.5 miles