Brava Leontien

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    1 Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Netherlands) 31.11
    2 Deirdre Demet-Barry (USA) 0.25
    3 Karin Thuerig (Switzerland) 0.44

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:53:29 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >1 Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Netherlands) 31.11
    > >2 Deirdre Demet-Barry (USA) 0.25
    > >3 Karin Thuerig (Switzerland) 0.44
    > >

    > And Christine Thorburn in fourth (I think). That's a spectular debut
    > at the top level for her.
    >
    > JT

    Very good indeed considering the amount of work she did in the road race.

  3. On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:53:29 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >1 Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Netherlands) 31.11
    >2 Deirdre Demet-Barry (USA) 0.25
    >3 Karin Thuerig (Switzerland) 0.44

    And Christine Thorburn in fourth (I think). That's a spectular debut
    at the top level for her.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:17:33 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    >"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> And Christine Thorburn in fourth (I think). That's a spectular debut
    >> at the top level for her.

    >Very good indeed considering the amount of work she did in the road race.

    Also very good of LVM considering what she did in the road race.

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:17:33 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> And Christine Thorburn in fourth (I think). That's a spectular debut
    > >> at the top level for her.

    > >Very good indeed considering the amount of work she did in the road race.

    > Also very good of LVM considering what she did in the road race.

    Her comment that everything hurts in a time trial so a few bruises wouldn't
    matter was a good one and true for her. Perhaps Hamilton should have
    crashed as well.

  6. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > >Very good indeed considering the amount of work she did in the road

    race.

    > > Also very good of LVM considering what she did in the road race.

    > Her comment that everything hurts in a time trial so a few bruises

    wouldn't
    > matter was a good one and true for her. Perhaps Hamilton should have
    > crashed as well.

    Am I the only one who picked her for the TT?

    Yes, that's the way to do it Leontien. She got guts. You get up, brush
    yourself off and get back on the bike. Well, she didn't quite do in time in
    the Road Race, but this is the one that matters for her. Now show the world
    what you are made of in the track events Lizzy! One gold is great, and the
    TT is huge! She will go out on top just the way she wanted! Crashing in the
    RR adds spice to the whole thing in a way, because that wasn't her target
    anyway, she was riding for Milkers.

    Good show, you go girl!

    B-

  7. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]

    debut

    > race.
    > > >
    > > > Also very good of LVM considering what she did in the road race.

    > > Her comment that everything hurts in a time trial so a few bruises

    > wouldn't
    > > matter was a good one and true for her. Perhaps Hamilton should have
    > > crashed as well.

    > Am I the only one who picked her for the TT?
    >
    > Yes, that's the way to do it Leontien. She got guts. You get up, brush
    > yourself off and get back on the bike. Well, she didn't quite do in time

    in
    > the Road Race, but this is the one that matters for her. Now show the

    world
    > what you are made of in the track events Lizzy! One gold is great, and the
    > TT is huge! She will go out on top just the way she wanted! Crashing in

    the
    > RR adds spice to the whole thing in a way, because that wasn't her target
    > anyway, she was riding for Milkers.
    >
    > Good show, you go girl!
    >
    > B-

    http://www.nrc.nl/europa/artikel/1092807583913.html

    translated with errors...

    Of Moorsel, first olympic gold the Netherlands wins

    ATHENS, 18 AUG. Leontien of Moorsel has conquered in Athens in the
    individual time trial on the way the first golden medal for the Netherlands
    this afternoon. Sunday came the 34-birthday wielrenster yet to fall in the
    road race, where they her olympic title of Sydney (2000) defended. She
    walked schaafwonden on, but wanted to start today really.

    Leontien Zijlaard-of Moorsel on away to her golden medal on the time trial
    Photograph AFP Files . Olympic Games 2004

    In presence of her parents and in-laws showed Van Moorsel self after result
    by the finish quite emotionally. ,, Whole my head bangs from each other,
    but I am so glad'', said the complete exhausted renster, that last year the
    werelduurrecord broke and self since then totally focused on the summer game
    in Athens where they nearly certain parting takes of the wielersport.

    Next week Van Moorsel comes yet in action on the piste and makes they chance
    on a second (fifth in totally) golden medal. She is now with four golden
    slices all the most successful Dutch sport woman on the Games.

    Of Moorsel, winner of three golden medals in Sydney 2000, went today on the
    relatively flat and straight parcours convincing of start in the race
    against the bell. With a time of 31,11.53 minute they the competition held
    on large arrears. The American Deirdre Demet-Barry got with an arrears of
    24 seconds silver. The Dutch Mirjam Melchers fell with a thirteenth place
    outside the prices.

    Judoka Mark Huizinga is its olympic title in the class until 90 kilograms
    rid. In the second round of the olympic tournament, the 30-birthday
    Schiedammer lost this morning of the South-Koreaanse world champion Hee-Tae
    Hwang. With a minimal difference, a boiled. Via the herkansing, Huizinga
    can want to do yet a to bronze.

    Judoka Edith Bosch (-70 kg) has reaches this morning the half final. The
    24-birthday Vlaardingse won also her second party, of the Argentinean
    Elisabeth Copes, with ippon. Bosch is the governing European champion. In
    the the half final treft Bosch at the end of the noon the German Anett Böhm.

    By the roeitoernooi the men self respect has placed this morning for the
    final. The netherlands remained France and Italy for. The men respect is
    the second Dutch boat that self qualifies for the end fight. Before this
    tournament had respect the women all a final place safe stem. Skiffeurs
    Dirk Lippits and Femke Dekker knew not self this morning for the final to
    place.

    The Dutch hockeysters won this morning also the third groups competition.
    The netherlands defeated Germany with 4-1.

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:53:29 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >1 Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Netherlands) 31.11
    > >2 Deirdre Demet-Barry (USA) 0.25
    > >3 Karin Thuerig (Switzerland) 0.44
    > >

    > And Christine Thorburn in fourth (I think). That's a spectular debut
    > at the top level for her.

    As per our prior discussions on this subject: 32 of the 37 men finishers had
    lower times than the Gold Medal in the Women's TT and they were only at half
    distance for them.

  9. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > 1 Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Netherlands) 31.11
    > 2 Deirdre Demet-Barry (USA) 0.25
    > 3 Karin Thuerig (Switzerland) 0.44

    Heres the translation with errors from LZ's site.

    Gold for Leontien! Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel has furnished the
    Netherlands the first golden medal. Of Moorsel prolongeerde her olympic
    title on the time trial. She let her largest competitors, the German Arndt
    and the Russian Zabirova far behind self. Zijlaard drove the 24 kilometers
    in 31 minutes and 11.53 seconds. The American Deirdre Demet won the silver
    in 31.35,62, the Swiss Karin Thuerig the bronze in 31.54,89. Mirjam
    Melchers became thirteenth.

    She had never had been more ago, never the pain so dominant. But Leontien
    Zijlaard-Van Moorsel was Wednesday in Athens through nothing and nobody of
    gold in the time trial off to hold. Her fourth olympic title meant a
    fitting parting for the queen of the women bicycle racing.

    The uncertainty had struck came up then after ten kilometers a not too hard
    headache. She thought of her failed wegrace, that Sunday ended on the
    asphalt after a fall. ÇMaar perhaps came that koppijn also well because I
    for it chosen had no bidon with to take and too little had drunk. I wanted
    to see to me. Thought: immediately there something cracks in my head. ç

    Of Moorsel however a haste own on-Dutch mentality. She rams must as it
    through pain border off. On hunt to a hallow target. A medal wanted they
    get in Athens, but who her good knows, know that they certainly in the time
    trial not with less pleasure would take then gold. Certainly after the
    failed act from Sunday, that her almost a dramatic parting of the
    wielersport had yielded. ÇJe thinks of all that times that you that col in
    the Sierra Nevada are driven up, at everything you for it let have, at the
    feeding which you the whole year on have gelet, at everything that you
    yourself denied have already that years. ç Sunday evening was it yet a large
    treurnis been. ÇDe darkest page from her loopbaanç, meant father Van
    Moorsel, that together with its woman in a next car behind 'Tinus collided
    with was,'. ÇIk had tuesday evening then I they at the telephone had the
    feeling gotten that it well well sat. I ride all my lungs from my body, had
    said they. ç

    Of Moorsel yet a time her body decided had to afflict. Ç Topsport is not
    sometimes healthy, that is prevent me geblekenç, laughed she afterwards.
    The day was not so cheerful begun. çIk was morose, that has Michael
    conscience. ç

    But Michael Zijlaard, her man, knows the showers of its woman already
    longer. Ç I wanted to do nothing good, yesterday already not. If I a towel
    somewhere put down was it not good. Moved I 'm, was not it again good. I
    must that thing almost eat up. ç Only Zijlaard knew out experience that it
    well good drunkenly with its woman. ÇVanochtend began they yet over the
    material, had to ride they suddenly on her reserve bicycle. We have but
    exchanged a wheel Leontien a little bit safely to put. ç

    That uncertainty has had Van Moorsel always. ÇIk am not says someone that:
    at this come am I, I the best. Certainly by a time trial goes it round the
    form of the day. ç The amazed little that it with the form well well sat., .
    Of Moorsel was halfweg the fastest and loved her on that moment conquered
    lead 24 seconds on the American Deirdre Demet-Barry till the end fixed.,.
    The Swiss Karin Thuerig took on 43 seconds the bronze. Mirjam Melchers
    became thirteenth.

    Her action in Athens has been succeeded no matter how. She do not takes is
    think yet part of the 3 kilometers persecution on the job, çmaar the good as
    I that on now just. ç A dream parting, named Michael Zijlaard her last
    action on the way. ÇDat earns she also. Perhaps is it yet well weller
    become because they Sunday on her crack wanted to lie. ç

    It is been beautiful, found the viervoudig olympic champion self Wednesday
    also. ÇEr is more in the life. I have already a beautiful fellow, now that
    yet a few children. ç

  10. MMan37x

    MMan37x Guest

> [...]
    >form of the day. ç The amazed little that it with the form well well sat., .
    >Of Moorsel was halfweg the fastest and loved her on that moment conquered
    >lead 24 seconds on the American Deirdre Demet-Barry till the end fixed.,.
    >The Swiss Karin Thuerig took on 43 seconds the bronze. Mirjam Melchers
    >became thirteenth.
    >
    >Her action in Athens has been succeeded no matter how. She do not takes is
    >think yet part of the 3 kilometers persecution on the job, çmaar the good as
    >I that on now just. ç A dream parting, named Michael Zijlaard her last
    >action on the way. ÇDat earns she also. Perhaps is it yet well weller
    >become because they Sunday on her crack wanted to lie. ç
    >
    >It is been beautiful, found the viervoudig olympic champion self Wednesday
    >also. ÇEr is more in the life. I have already a beautiful fellow, now that

    I'd glad to be aware that translation programs are imperfect. Otherwise I'd be
    thinking that Dutch people sound like this to each other. That would be
    freaky.

    (I think "viervoudig" mean "four-time," doesn't it?)

    M Man

  11. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    MMan37x wrote:
    > I'd glad to be aware that translation programs are imperfect. Otherwise I'd be
    > thinking that Dutch people sound like this to each other. That would be
    > freaky.

    They sound like that after spending a few hours in an Amsterdam coffee
    shop.

    Actually I find it much easier to understand Dutch (Hollands for Ewoud)
    than Flemish as the Flemish speakers seem to speak rather fast.

    > (I think "viervoudig" mean "four-time," doesn't it?)

    Yes (vier = 4)

  12. B.deBurcht

    B.deBurcht Guest

    Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sierraman wrote:
    > >>Of Moorsel yet a time her body decided had to afflict. Ç Topsport is not
    > >>snip
    > >>It is been beautiful, found the viervoudig olympic champion self Wednesday
    > >>also. ÇEr is more in the life. I have already a beautiful fellow, now that
    > >>yet a few children. ç

    > MMan37x wrote:
    > > I'd glad to be aware that translation programs are imperfect. Otherwise I'd be
    > > thinking that Dutch people sound like this to each other. That would be
    > > freaky.

    > They sound like that after spending a few hours in an Amsterdam coffee
    > shop.
    >
    > Actually I find it much easier to understand Dutch (Hollands for Ewoud)
    > than Flemish as the Flemish speakers seem to speak rather fast.

    Correction, you find some Dutchmen easier to understand than some
    Flemings. West-Flemish sounds nothing like Flemish Limburgs. And
    Limburgs is slooooow. :)

    > > (I think "viervoudig" mean "four-time," doesn't it?)

    > Yes (vier = 4)

    Literally: fourfold.

  13. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Donald Munro <[email protected]@privacy.net>...
    > Sierraman wrote:
    > >>Of Moorsel yet a time her body decided had to afflict. Ç Topsport is not
    > >>snip
    > >>It is been beautiful, found the viervoudig olympic champion self Wednesday
    > >>also. ÇEr is more in the life. I have already a beautiful fellow, now that
    > >>yet a few children. ç

    > MMan37x wrote:
    > > I'd glad to be aware that translation programs are imperfect. Otherwise I'd be
    > > thinking that Dutch people sound like this to each other. That would be
    > > freaky.

    > They sound like that after spending a few hours in an Amsterdam coffee
    > shop.
    >
    > Actually I find it much easier to understand Dutch (Hollands for Ewoud)
    > than Flemish as the Flemish speakers seem to speak rather fast.
    >
    > > (I think "viervoudig" mean "four-time," doesn't it?)

    > Yes (vier = 4)

    Eins, zwei, drei, vier, Zuffe!