Bravo Contador! Takes his place as one of the greats.

rodsteiger

Jan 16, 2008
How sweet it is baby! Congrats to Mr. Contador. What an amazing race this Vuelta. One of the best I've ever watched.

Now his place in cycling history is secure! Truly one of the greats to ever throw a leg over. If those chickens at the TdF hadn't kept him out, he would have gotten the sweep!

And congrats to Mr. Leipheimer too. What a great race for him and taking a stage, just fantastic.

Been drinking champagne, er, Spanish sparkling wine this morning to celebrate. Now I'm off for a training ride.

Enjoy lads! :cool:

Bruyneel is the greatest DS ever!

bruyneel.jpg

rodsteiger said:
Now his place in cycling history is secure!
Yes, he will stand along side the greats of cycling.
His name will forever be remembered along with legends like Fuentes, Ferrari, Cecchini et al.

rodsteiger said:
How sweet it is baby! Congrats to Mr. Contador. What an amazing race this Vuelta. One of the best I've ever watched.

Now his place in cycling history is secure! Truly one of the greats to ever throw a leg over. If those chickens at the TdF hadn't kept him out, he would have gotten the sweep!

And congrats to Mr. Leipheimer too. What a great race for him and taking a stage, just fantastic.

Been drinking champagne, er, Spanish sparkling wine this morning to celebrate. Now I'm off for a training ride.

Congratulations to A.C. from Dr Fuentes. You're the best client by a mountain side.

rodsteiger said:

Yep one of the greats alright.

Contador joins a very select club of Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as being the only riders to have won all three grand tours.

Even more amazing how such a talent could have evaded the horizon for all those years too.
Truly amazing.

limerickman said:
Yep one of the greats alright.

Contador joins a very select club of Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as being the only riders to have won all three grand tours.

Even more amazing how such a talent could have evaded the horizon for all those years too.
Truly amazing.
And if he wasn't associated with such greats in the sport as Saiz, Fuentes and Brunyeel we would all be able to send him non-sarcastic congratulations. I watched about two minutes of this year's Vuelta, just followed the racing online. I'm in two minds about the possible cleanliness of the racing. On the one hand we have AC and Levi running rampant, but then we have the likes of Moncoutie in the top ten. To all intents and purposes it appears that the rest of the teams are cleaning up but Astana didn't read the memo.

Stupid kool-aid drinkers on Aussie TV (SBS) said it was the quickest GT treble of all time, 15 months. ********. Hinault did a treble in less than 12 months. Giro-Tour double in 82, Vuelta in 83 when it was held in May.

Rolfrae said:
And if he wasn't associated with such greats in the sport as Saiz, Fuentes and Brunyeel we would all be able to send him non-sarcastic congratulations. I watched about two minutes of this year's Vuelta, just followed the racing online. I'm in two minds about the possible cleanliness of the racing. On the one hand we have AC and Levi running rampant, but then we have the likes of Moncoutie in the top ten. To all intents and purposes it appears that the rest of the teams are cleaning up but Astana didn't read the memo.

I did watch some of the Vuelta, Rolf and I can tell you that it wasn't as good viewing, as previous years.

For example, saturdays ITT.
Theoretically it should have made great viewing.
The parcour was uphill and should have provided a good test.
In the end it came down to a Leipheimer, Contador contest.

limerickman said:
I did watch some of the Vuelta, Rolf and I can tell you that it wasn't as good viewing, as previous years.

For example, saturdays ITT.
Theoretically it should have made great viewing.
The parcour was uphill and should have provided a good test.
In the end it came down to a Leipheimer, Contador contest.
I did actually see that stage Lim (also saw the last few KMs of L'Angrilu). On Saturday it appeared to be pre-decided in the Astana camp that Levi would win the stage and Contador would ride a time sufficient to keep him in the gold jersey.

Rolfrae said:
I did actually see that stage Lim (also saw the last few KMs of L'Angrilu). On Saturday it appeared to be pre-decided in the Astana camp that Levi would win the stage and Contador would ride a time sufficient to keep him in the gold jersey.

Can't see how anyone (pointing the finger at Velonews) thought that Astana was going to let Leipheimer take the lead from Contador. If it had looked like Contador was losing too much time on Levi, Leipheimer would definitely have had a bad second half of his TT. No way they were going to throw away the marketing value of the title "Winner of all three Grand Tours" just so that the best would have won.
I'm sure Contador would've been second if he had worked for Leipheimer, but let's not get into all that. Just saying that Leipheimer has improved vastly in the past two seasons, or then he just knows how to time his peak form very well

Rolfrae said:

Yes, the ITT result appeared formulaic.
And thus it made boring viewing.

Include the fact that Leipheimer, who had never been in the shakeup for a GT ITT win prior to his joining Disco/Astana, blew away the entire field except
Contador, made viewing the ITT even more surreal.

RdBiker said:
Just saying that Leipheimer has improved vastly in the past two seasons, or then he just knows how to time his peak form very well

Improved beyond recognition.

And the best part is that if ASO didn't give Astana the boot he probably wouldn't have attempted "the double". Now ASO have made Contador even more a legend than he already was ! bravo alberto !!!!

I'm wet with the fact that next year Lance, Levi and Contador could finish the Tour 1-2-3. That would be great for cycling !

How many GT's has Bruyneel won now ? I've lost count !!
rodsteiger said:

whiteboytrash said:
And the best part is that if ASO didn't give Astana the boot he probably wouldn't have attempted "the double". Now ASO have made Contador even more a legend than he already was ! bravo alberto !!!!

I'm wet with the fact that next year Lance, Levi and Contador could finish the Tour 1-2-3. That would be great for cycling !

How many GT's has Bruyneel won now ? I've lost count !!
What was the point in ASO going through all the nonsense of the LA years, the Floyd fiasco, the 2007 disgrace, then all the hard work of 2008 only to have the race turn into a Bruyneel/Armstrong pharce (see how I combined the words pharmacy and farce to come up with pharce?). We might as well welcome back Heras, Botero, Hamilton, Ulle, Basso, Sevilla, Ricco and any other non-retired rogue you can recollect, tell the gendarmarie and the dope testers to take three weeks holiday in July, and see if we can't have the fastest Tour since records began.

Rolfrae said:
What was the point in ASO going through all the nonsense of the LA years, the Floyd fiasco, the 2007 disgrace, then all the hard work of 2008 only to have the race turn into a Bruyneel/Armstrong pharce (see how I combined the words pharmacy and farce to come up with pharce?). We might as well welcome back Heras, Botero, Hamilton, Ulle, Basso, Sevilla, Ricco and any other non-retired rogue you can recollect, tell the gendarmarie and the dope testers to take three weeks holiday in July, and see if we can't have the fastest Tour since records began.
I admire you up to imbecility;)

Very boring Vuelta...
Parcours was interesting with great climbs, but participation of Astana kills every wish of watching the race.
More than that, participation of Astana in any race, kills credibility of the race.
Already mentioned improvements in Leipheimer's and Contador's performance are, at least, suspicious.
I'm curious what will ASO do? They'll have to let them ride the Tour... I mean - they won't but the pressure will be enormous since Astana's been without scandals this season, and that was ASO's main request.
I hope ASO will come up with some mean testing in next year's Tour. This year they've done good job.

Rolfrae said:
I agree it got us no where because the other GT's didn't buy into it..... at the start of the season almost every race was going to be Astana free.... now look what we ended up with...... I really don't see the point of what Bruyneel is doing... why dope knowing that most of the peleton is not.... there is no fun in that........ at least it felt like you were winning when everyone else was doping....

whiteboytrash said:
I agree it got us no where because the other GT's didn't buy into it..... at the start of the season almost every race was going to be Astana free.... now look what we ended up with...... I really don't see the point of what Bruyneel is doing... why dope knowing that most of the peleton is not.... there is no fun in that........ at least it felt like you were winning when everyone else was doping....
He's too much like Lance. He's just a greedy ego whose hunger for Tour wins can never be sated. Nothing matters more than the win.

whiteboytrash said:

You really think the rest of the peloton is clean? :)

Just a bunch of sour grape jealous knuckleheads.

Can't see past their own noses!

Bitter people such as this don't live long, and their quality of life is most pathetic.

Hoist a glass of wine and toast the Mighty Contador. There is no disputing the fact that he is the best big tour racer today. :cool:

See you guys next year and looking forward to more fireworks Mister Contador, simply the best, better than all, ah ... you know how it goes!