Braze-On Front Der Won't Adjust Low Enough for 50t Ring.

I saw the photo and now realize that it is a bracket that can not be used to
convert any/all braze on set ups for 52 chainrings to compact. It's just
for Trek or maybe other carbon fiber bikes.

I wonder if Problem Solvers will figure out a thingy.

For now I would use the Mavic FD with an extra hole if I run into that
problem again.

I'm more likely to have a problem fitting a ring bigger than 46 for use with
the braze-on on my randonneur frame made to my specs.

I wish I had listened to Sheldon.
I'm in purgatory.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is there a photo of this new bracket anywhere on the web?
> > Thanks.
> > Gary Jacobson

> Gary: Not much different about it at all, except that it's a bit longer

with
> a slot that goes down further, putting the derailleur closer to the
> chainring. Rocket science it isn't!
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member
>
> "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is there a photo of this new bracket anywhere on the web?
> > Thanks.
> > Gary Jacobson
> > Rosendale, NY
> >
> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

6500

Gary Jacobson wrote:
> I saw the photo and now realize that it is a bracket that

can not be used to
> convert any/all braze on set ups for 52 chainrings to

compact. It's just
> for Trek or maybe other carbon fiber bikes.
> I wonder if Problem Solvers will figure out a thingy.
> For now I would use the Mavic FD with an extra hole if I

run into that
> problem again.
> I'm more likely to have a problem fitting a ring bigger

than 46 for use with
> the braze-on on my randonneur frame made to my specs.
> I wish I had listened to Sheldon.
> I'm in purgatory.

When it's a steel frame, judicious use of a file can often
remove the offending piece without noticable paint damage
(Most of the touchup being under the clamp).
Do not remove any tube. Stop at the bronze/silver layer.
It's a great improvement, well worth ten minutes' careful work.

Rivnutted aluminum frames can accept an extra rivnut or two.
Aluminum welded tabs come off like steel ones but faster.

Carbon frames are a bit harder to save, once possessed in
this way.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:50:56 -0600, A Muzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> 6500

>> "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote

>Gary Jacobson wrote:
> > I saw the photo and now realize that it is a bracket that

>can not be used to
> > convert any/all braze on set ups for 52 chainrings to

>compact. It's just
> > for Trek or maybe other carbon fiber bikes.
> > I wonder if Problem Solvers will figure out a thingy.
> > For now I would use the Mavic FD with an extra hole if I

>run into that
> > problem again.
> > I'm more likely to have a problem fitting a ring bigger

>than 46 for use with
> > the braze-on on my randonneur frame made to my specs.
> > I wish I had listened to Sheldon.
> > I'm in purgatory.

>When it's a steel frame, judicious use of a file can often
>remove the offending piece without noticable paint damage
>(Most of the touchup being under the clamp).
>Do not remove any tube. Stop at the bronze/silver layer.
>It's a great improvement, well worth ten minutes' careful work.
>
>Rivnutted aluminum frames can accept an extra rivnut or two.
>Aluminum welded tabs come off like steel ones but faster.
>
>Carbon frames are a bit harder to save, once possessed in
>this way.

Dear Andrew,

I have a haunting vision of you and Sheldon, each holding a
pair of judicious files up to make the sign of the cross
while advancing upon a bicycle in the loathsome grip of a
braze-on derailleur, spokes cracking, green slime squirting
from the presta valves, and the seat spinning wildly like
Linda Blair's head.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

>I have a haunting vision of you and Sheldon, each holding a
>pair of judicious files up to make the sign of the cross
>while advancing upon a bicycle in the loathsome grip of a
>braze-on derailleur, spokes cracking, green slime squirting
>from the presta valves, and the seat spinning wildly like
>Linda Blair's head.

As Sheldon approaches the awesome spectacle, he reaches into his
mechanic's bib and extracts a Campy aero bottle filled with water from
the fountain in front of the Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza.

He flings the water at the demonic two-wheeler while chanting "the
power of Tullio compels you". After a short bout of gurgling and
smoking the demonic bike ceases to writhe, and the front derailleur
braze-on drops harmlessly to the floor.

"NOW I understand this whle Campy thing" says Sheldon as he unboxes a
new clamp-on front derailleur.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Hi Russell
Yes, now I understand how U do it, using a Third Eye, & I can certainly
see why today why U would have to use 3rd eye for half step. (Today's
detailers aren't meant to work w/ half step rings.
For better or worse, I've always considered a 3rd eye cheating or at
least an inelegant solution. I've used 3rd eyes on bikes that had odd
chainrings & fr. detailers. I've done this when I've gone way beyond
any sane engineers recommendations. Usually way over geared. (Like 52;
34; 22). Or I just didn't want to spend the $ @ that time to get it
right.
I figure w/ 8; 9; or 10 spds. I can live w/ crossover gearing for Mtb.
biking or touring, although getting hi's, hi enough & lows, low enough
is a bit of a problem.
I don't agree that it's always possible to shift back onto the big ring
after over shooting to the crank arm, if one is peddling fast.
Happy New Year, John

[email protected] wrote:

> Just get it within a half inch and ride the bike. The front
> derailleur will shift the chain between the chainrings just fine. It
> does not have to be exactly 2mm above the outside ring to work.

Mine does.

Matt O.