Braze on Front Derailleur Won't go Low Enough - Oval Seat Tube

pow216

Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

I have a 1980's Raleigh Panasonic 501 frame with aero (oval) tubes and a braze on front mech. I am trying to fit an old shimano 105 front mech but shifting is poor because I can't get the mech close enough to the chainwheel.

What are my options?

Can I file off the braze on mount and use a clamp on? What about the seat tube being oval? Do any clamp ons have a clamp like a jubilee clip or similar?

Can I get the brazed on fitting moved?

Any ideas?

pow216 said:
Hi,

I have a 1980's Raleigh Panasonic 501 frame with aero (oval) tubes and a braze on front mech. I am trying to fit an old shimano 105 front mech but shifting is poor because I can't get the mech close enough to the chainwheel.

What are my options?

Can I file off the braze on mount and use a clamp on? What about the seat tube being oval? Do any clamp ons have a clamp like a jubilee clip or similar?

Any ideas?

Take a file or Dremel to the slot where the FD lives and lengthen it downward to see if it can get the FD lower.

pow216 said:

What are my options?

Any ideas?
Since you are apparently NOT involved in a restoration ... buy a larger chainring and/or a new front derailleur (e.g., 5503).

pow216 said:
Hi,

What are my options?

Any ideas?

Depending on your shifters, a new FD may work better, be lower. Is the FD the one that moves at an angle out from the seattube, rather than perpendicular? That may be the issue also. Not very low as FDs go.

If ya have a friction LH shifter, a modern one, either 8s like Sora or 9s may be lower.

5503 is a triple FD, BTW. Altho it'll work with a double crank, friction shifter and IS lower, a 'modern' double may work also.