Braze-on front mech with 26T range

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Also needs to cope with a 52T big ring. Any ideas? I've heard rumours
that the modern Shimano road triples are OK, despite having a listed
capacity of only 22T, but I don't really want to buy one and find it
rubs constantly.

I know Sheldon will disagree, but I prefer braze-on mechs where
possible, as the existing band-on mech has made a right mess of the
paintwork. The frame is going for a respray and this is an ideal time
to sort it out.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Also needs to cope with a 52T big ring. Any ideas? I've heard rumours
> that the modern Shimano road triples are OK, despite having a listed
> capacity of only 22T, but I don't really want to buy one and find it
> rubs constantly.
>
> I know Sheldon will disagree, but I prefer braze-on mechs where
> possible, as the existing band-on mech has made a right mess of the
> paintwork. The frame is going for a respray and this is an ideal time
> to sort it out.

I have a Shimano FD-R443 front derailleur on my Tour Easy recumbent. It
shifts a 26/39/52 combo fine. The cage is similar to several of the
Shimano braze-on triples- my preference for a braze-on would be a Sora:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FD3316 just 'cause
I'm cheap.

Jeff