Braze on v Band on Downtube shifters

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mseries, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Since I can use a 8 from 9 speed cassette on my tourer with 9 speed shifters my next question, which
    I shall check out for myself soon, is this.

    Can the band on band-on shifters (Shimano 105 6 speed) be used to mount braze-on downtube shifters
    on a frame with no braze-ons ? Can the band be used to mount downtube cable stops should I decide to
    use STi or bar end shifters ?

    As an aside, why can't one simply change the SIS piece in downtube levers to convert them from one
    set of speeds to another ? Looking at the exploded diagrams in Shimano.com, there is a small ratchet
    type component in a lever which maybe ought to be exchangable for a higher (or lower) number of
    speed one. Maybe I'll give this a shot too.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
     
    Tags:


  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > Since I can use a 8 from 9 speed cassette on my tourer with 9 speed shifters my next question,
    > which I shall check out for myself soon, is this.
    >
    > Can the band on band-on shifters (Shimano 105 6 speed) be used to mount braze-on downtube shifters
    > on a frame with no braze-ons ?

    Not sure but I think they probably can. Longer bolts may help if the fit's not too good.

    > Can the band be used to mount downtube cable stops should I decide to use STi or bar end shifters

    Yes. I'm doing precisely that with a 105 6sp band-on bit with Campag stops (on my 1984/5 Raleigh
    Royal*!) - and I expect Shimano stops would also fit (but Campag's can be used with Shimano STI if
    not). I ain't ever going back to down tubies!

    > As an aside, why can't one simply change the SIS piece in downtube levers to convert them from one
    > set of speeds to another ? Looking at the exploded diagrams in Shimano.com, there is a small
    > ratchet type component in a lever which maybe ought to be exchangable for a higher (or lower)
    > number of speed one. Maybe I'll give this a shot too.

    I'm not sure about that (give it a go), but the 6sp levers can be used with more speeds, as they
    are, simply by shifting the lever down beyond the 1st position - so you'll have six indexed gears
    and the rest friction. Trouble is, the index will be wrong for 9sp-spacing; might be ok for 8sp.

    * I'm enjoying riding this bike a lot at the moment: completely rebuilt with Campag 9sp triple and
    700c wheels, etc; only original component is the rear brake caliper. At long last all my upgrades
    and adjustments have come together and it's a practical and reasonably comfortably bike. Not fast,
    but I only notice this when looking at the speedo up hills or trying to overtake cars! :)

    ~PB
     
  3. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >> Since I can use a 8 from 9 speed cassette on my tourer with 9 speed shifters my next question,
    >> which I shall check out for myself soon, is this.
    >>
    >> Can the band on band-on shifters (Shimano 105 6 speed) be used to mount braze-on downtube
    >> shifters on a frame with no braze-ons ?
    >
    > Not sure but I think they probably can. Longer bolts may help if the fit's not too good.
    >
    >> Can the band be used to mount downtube cable stops should I decide to use STi or bar end shifters
    >
    > Yes. I'm doing precisely that with a 105 6sp band-on bit with Campag stops (on my 1984/5 Raleigh
    > Royal*!) - and I expect Shimano stops would also fit (but Campag's can be used with Shimano STI if
    > not). I ain't ever going back to down tubies!
    >
    >> As an aside, why can't one simply change the SIS piece in downtube levers to convert them from
    >> one set of speeds to another ? Looking at the exploded diagrams in Shimano.com, there is a small
    >> ratchet type component in a lever which maybe ought to be exchangable for a higher (or lower)
    >> number of speed one. Maybe I'll give this a shot too.
    >
    > I'm not sure about that (give it a go), but the 6sp levers can be used with more speeds, as they
    > are, simply by shifting the lever down beyond the 1st position - so you'll have six indexed gears
    > and the rest friction. Trouble is, the index will be wrong for 9sp-spacing; might be ok for 8sp.

    > * I'm enjoying riding this bike a lot at the moment: completely rebuilt with Campag 9sp triple and
    > 700c wheels, etc; only original component is the rear brake caliper. At long last all my
    > upgrades and adjustments have come together and it's a practical and reasonably comfortably
    > bike. Not fast, but I only notice this when looking at the speedo up hills or trying to overtake
    > cars! :)
    >
    > ~PB

    Gives me encouragement Pete. I was hoping to keep with DT levers to keep the cost of the upgrade
    down so I was looking at Dura Ace 9 Levers. If I couldn't make them fit on the band then maybe bar
    end or STi, then of course I'd need the stops.

    My Royal has original bars, brakes, stem, seat pin, chainset, mudguards, forks. It has the original
    brake levers at present but I have some new (2nd user) aero ones to fit. Until last night had the
    original BB too. The paint work is in poor state but I love the double lining and it would cost a
    fortune to get it redone like that. Wheels are 700c, Deore hubs, Mavic Mach 3 CD rims, built at
    Condor Cycles. Very strong, very true after thousands of laden miles.

    I have not used this bike much in the last 10 years and I'm getting it ready for some winter/spring
    rides and LeJOG next year.

    I am in the process of writing my LeJOG blog describing my thoughts leading up to my ride, the
    upgrade will be described in there.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
     
  4. bhutata

    bhutata New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2003
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've seen clamp-on cable stops, in case the other solution doesn't work for you.

    I'm also a little skeptical that the indexing from your 6-speed shifters will work correctly. Do you have a friction mode available? I know the old Suntours barcons did, but I can't remember about the Shimanos.
     
  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    bhutata wrote:
    > I've seen clamp-on cable stops, in case the other solution doesn't work for you.

    Incorporating cable adjusters? Don't strictly need adjusters but they help a lot.

    > I'm also a little skeptical that the indexing from your 6-speed shifters will work correctly. Do
    > you have a friction mode available? I know the old Suntours barcons did, but I can't remember
    > about the Shimanos.

    At least one of the Shimano 105 6sp versions has a switchable friction mode, but the OP may be
    getting 9sp levers in any case.

    ~PB
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...