brazilian cooking

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Aspiring Cook, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. i got turned on to brazilian food for the first time
    recently, particularly the meat dishes. now i'd like to know
    which cookbook is recommended for brazilian cooking. any
    suggestions appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Glenn Jacobs

    Glenn Jacobs Guest

    On 7 Mar 2004 16:16:52 -0800, aspiring cook wrote:

    > i got turned on to brazilian food for the first time
    > recently, particularly the meat dishes. now i'd like to
    > know which cookbook is recommended for brazilian cooking.
    > any suggestions appreciated.

    What dishes? A few years ago I sent 2 weeks on business in
    Rio and didn't have a meal better than mediocre all the
    time i was there. The food tended to be very bland. When I
    asked about the food the people there said that up near the
    Amazon the food was better. I've spent time in both Chile
    and Venezuela and liked the food in both of these places
    very much.

    I would like to think that I just had bad luck picking
    restaurants in Rio. Has anyone had better luck?

    JakeInHartsel

  3. Glenn Jacobs <[email protected]> writes:

    >On 7 Mar 2004 16:16:52 -0800, aspiring cook wrote:

    >> i got turned on to brazilian food for the first time
    >> recently, particularly the meat dishes. now i'd like to
    >> know which cookbook is recommended for brazilian cooking.
    >> any suggestions appreciated.

    >What dishes? A few years ago I sent 2 weeks on business in
    >Rio and didn't have a meal better than mediocre all the
    >time i was there. The food tended to be very bland. When I
    >asked about the food the people there said that up near the
    >Amazon the food was better. I've spent time in both Chile
    >and Venezuela and liked the food in both of these places
    >very much.

    >I would like to think that I just had bad luck picking
    >restaurants in Rio. Has anyone had better luck?

    >JakeInHartsel

    Well, it has been twenty or more years since I have been in
    Brazil, and I had never been in Rio.

    Brazil is a very big country. In the few years I spent in
    Sao Paulo, I encountered several local cuisines.

    There are a couple of things which distinguish Brazil.

    In Sao Paulo, at least, on Wednesdays and Saturdays,
    one enjoys *fejoida*. That is a stew of the last few
    days (much like US restaurants offer a soup being
    "cream of yesterday"), served on rice, and surrounded
    by slices of orange.

    And then there was cachaca, the principal ingredient of a
    caiperinha.
    --
    J.Otto Tennant [email protected] Forsan et haec olim meminisse
    juvabit. Charter Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy