Bread experiment

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Bubbo, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I added a
    palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to use honey
    instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.

    It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited, I'll
    keep you posted.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

    Tags:

  2. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:p[email protected]
    >I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I added a
    > palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to use
    > honey
    > instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    >
    > It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited, I'll
    > keep you posted.

    Have you made it with sourdough?
    Pandora

    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com
    > Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  3. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    > "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:p[email protected]
    >>I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I added a
    >> palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to use
    >> honey
    >> instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    >>
    >> It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited, I'll
    >> keep you posted.

    > Have you made it with sourdough?
    > Pandora

    nope, no sourdough. I've not worked with sourdough starter yet, but I might
    start soon.

    Final verdict on the bread..."meh". It was okay but not nearly as exciting as
    I had hoped. It was good with cherry jam though.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:
    > Pandora wrote:
    > > "The Bubbo" writes:
    > >>I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I added a
    > >> palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to use
    > >> honey instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    > >>
    > >> It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited, I'll
    > >> keep you posted.

    > > Have you made it with sourdough?
    > > Pandora

    > nope, no sourdough. I've not worked with sourdough starter yet, but I might
    > start soon.
    >
    > Final verdict on the bread..."meh". It was okay but not nearly as exciting as
    > I had hoped. It was good with cherry jam though.

    I don't think ginger is compatable with yeast breads, especially not
    the strong yeastiness of sourdough... the two Alpha/Machismo flavors
    clash, mano y mano. However, ginger is good with quick breads.. I've
    often added grated ginger to muffins, especially good in raisin bran
    muffins. Naturally gingerbread contains no yeast either, neither
    ginger snaps.... ginger snaps make an excellent crust for cheesecake,
    as will candied ginger added to the cheese mixture, and/or blended with
    pineapple jam as a topping.

    Sheldon

  5. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:p[email protected]
    > Pandora wrote:
    >>
    >> "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:p[email protected]
    >>>I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I added
    >>> palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to use
    >>> honey
    >>> instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    >>>
    >>> It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited,
    >>> I'll
    >>> keep you posted.

    >> Have you made it with sourdough?
    >> Pandora

    > nope, no sourdough. I've not worked with sourdough starter yet, but I
    > might
    > start soon.

    Ah! Ok!

    > Final verdict on the bread..."meh". It was okay but not nearly as exciting
    > as
    > I had hoped. It was good with cherry jam though.

    With bread , we must work a lot. And every time is a surprise :(
    Cheers
    Pandora

    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com
    > Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > I don't think ginger is compatable with yeast breads, especially not
    > the strong yeastiness of sourdough... the two Alpha/Machismo flavors
    > clash, mano y mano. However, ginger is good with quick breads.. I've
    > often added grated ginger to muffins, especially good in raisin bran
    > muffins. Naturally gingerbread contains no yeast either, neither
    > ginger snaps.... ginger snaps make an excellent crust for cheesecake,
    > as will candied ginger added to the cheese mixture, and/or blended with
    > pineapple jam as a topping.
    >
    > Sheldon

    yeah, you're right. I think the flavors just didn't go together as well as I
    had hoped. But live and learn I say.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  7. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    ~
    ~It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited,
    I'll
    ~keep you posted.

    Well? I'm up to the 11th, and haven't seen your report. How did it
    turn out?

    inquiring minds
    maxine in ri

  8. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:28:42 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
    > connected the dots and wrote:
    >
    > ~I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I
    > added a
    > ~palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had to
    > use honey
    > ~instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    > ~
    > ~It's on its first rise right now, should be done by 11. Very excited,
    > I'll
    > ~keep you posted.
    >
    > Well? I'm up to the 11th, and haven't seen your report. How did it
    > turn out?
    >
    > inquiring minds
    > maxine in ri

    it was only 'meh'. The bread was okay, but the ginger flavor wasn't very
    strong. I was unimpressed.

    Mostly I am trying to get better about experimenting with things I was scared
    to experiment with before AND be fine with them not turning out.

    I made jam this weekend for the first time. It tasted good (though a bit too
    sweet) but it didn't set at all. So that was disappointing but I'm okay with
    it.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  9. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:52:44 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>

    ~maxine in ri wrote:
    ~> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:28:42 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
    ~> connected the dots and wrote:
    ~>
    ~> ~I have this bread recipe chugging away in the machine right now. I
    ~> added a
    ~> ~palmful (about a tablespoon) of crystalized ginger chunks and had
    ~> use honey
    ~> ~instead of molasses as I am out of molasses.
    ~> ~
[...]

    After I sent the message, I found your responses way down the list for
    whatever reason.

    Definately add at least 1/4 cup of the ginger to the bread.

    I tried to make Turkish Delight, and ended up with jelly. I think the
    recipe calls for too much water, since the simmering stage never
    raised the temperature above 100C. Saw some other recipes with
    different balances of ingredients to liquids, will try one of them
    this week and see if I can't get it to solidify.

    maxine in ri