Bread Pudding Ride... I'm planning to do it

Mark Blewett

Guest
Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to
this ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)

I'm pretty sure (unless there are really really big hills) I should
cope with 20-25 miles (last Sunday I broke my PB, and did 67.5 miles
in a day... and broke my goal of doing the 100km.. not bad for just 6
weeks after starting cycling / exercising again).

Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.

1) In general what's the etiquette for organised rides? Do you just
turn up, or contact the organiser. Do you tip, or is there normally a
small fixed cost?

2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in a group?

3) What should I take?

I'm sure there's other things I have missed... I know I'd enjoy it,
just trying to be prepared.

Thanks
Mark

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:38:21 +0100, Mark Blewett wrote:

> Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to this
> ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)
>
> Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.

The first rule about the Bread Pudding Ride -
no-one talks about the Bread Pudding Ride.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:43:44 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:38:21 +0100, Mark Blewett wrote:
>
>> Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to this
>> ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)
>>
>> Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.

>The first rule about the Bread Pudding Ride -
>no-one talks about the Bread Pudding Ride.

Ok, anyone for apple crumble ;o)

"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to
> this ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)
>
> I'm pretty sure (unless there are really really big hills) I should
> cope with 20-25 miles (last Sunday I broke my PB, and did 67.5 miles
> in a day... and broke my goal of doing the 100km.. not bad for just 6
> weeks after starting cycling / exercising again).

You will have no problems.

> Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.
>
> 1) In general what's the etiquette for organised rides? Do you just
> turn up, or contact the organiser. Do you tip, or is there normally a
> small fixed cost?

Don't know. Always worth a phone call first though.

> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in a group?

The pretty girls ;~)

> 3) What should I take?

Yer bike & bits

Mark Blewett wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:43:44 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:38:21 +0100, Mark Blewett wrote:
> >
> >> Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to this
> >> ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)
> >>
> >> Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.

> >The first rule about the Bread Pudding Ride -
> >no-one talks about the Bread Pudding Ride.

> Ok, anyone for apple crumble ;o)

<FX: pomp and circumstance>
Oh what a luverly crumble
Oh what a luverly pud
Oh what a luverly crumble
Tastes like good crumble should
(we like it)
Oh what a luverly crumble
Oh what a lu-ver-ly pud.
</FX>

...d

Mark Blewett wrote:

> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in
> a group?

The following page gives a good summary of the etiquette of group
riding.

<http://tinyurl.co.uk/9x7d> which should take you to

<http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/255/SP/332911698259342130258/v/4>

Relax but stay aware, have fun, don't bring the group down in a heap.
:)

--
Dave...

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:35:12 -0700, dkahn400 wrote:

> Mark Blewett wrote:
>
>> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in a group?

The Bread Pudding Ride is listed as an easy paced LCC ride.
Mark, I wouldn't worry too much about group riding.
As long as you are confident to ride your bike on the road you'll get on
fine.
Just be aware of what's going on around you.

LCC rides of that type are generally not run along the lines of
a road cycling peleton. People ride in a group, but (in my experience)
generally don't draft each other, take turns at the front etc.
Certainly on our rides the ride leader rides the way, and a back marker is
appointed.
After difficult junctions or if traffic lights turn red the leader
might wait on the other side for the group to reform.

I've never been on a bread pudding ride, so I can't comment really.
But as others have said, bring yourself plus bike with tyres pumped up
hard and appropriate clothing for the day.
Bring a spare inner tube to fit your bike - there will always be someone
on the ride who has tools and will lend a hand. A spare tube means the
group can get on the move quicker, and you can inspect/patch the old one
at the lunch stop.
Bring some money for the bread pudding of course.

Note down the organisers number and bring this with you.
If you are late to the start they might wait 10 minutes for you,
or if you get lost in the wilds of Surrey the leader might take pity and
come to retrieve you.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:01:52 +0100, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Blewett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Having never done an organised ride before, I'm really attracted to
>> this ride (mainly because I'm an old fashioned pudding type person :eek:)
>>
>> I'm pretty sure (unless there are really really big hills) I should
>> cope with 20-25 miles (last Sunday I broke my PB, and did 67.5 miles
>> in a day... and broke my goal of doing the 100km.. not bad for just 6
>> weeks after starting cycling / exercising again).

>You will have no problems.
>
>> Back to the questions... they maybe silly, but I don't have a clue.
>>
>> 1) In general what's the etiquette for organised rides? Do you just
>> turn up, or contact the organiser. Do you tip, or is there normally a
>> small fixed cost?

>Don't know. Always worth a phone call first though.

In the end emailed them... so at least they are expecting me.

>> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in a group?

>The pretty girls ;~)

I didn't realise there were so many until I started cycling :eek:)

>> 3) What should I take?

>Yer bike

:eek:)

> & bits

I think (hope!) I pretty well organised now for day trips... if I
travel anywhere I always carry a d lock + cable, tool kit, puncture
kit, pump, water, lights, waterproof, mobile phone. The only thing I
can think of which I don't have (which I guess maybe useful in a group
ride where a quick change is useful) is a spare inner.

Thanks
Mark

On 21 Jul 2005 02:35:12 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mark Blewett wrote:
>
>> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in
>> a group?

>The following page gives a good summary of the etiquette of group
>riding.
>
><http://tinyurl.co.uk/9x7d> which should take you to
>
><http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/255/SP/332911698259342130258/v/4>

Thanks for the link.. interesting reading. I'm guessing that the ride
is more fun oriented, and not so formal... but then again just having
a bit of knowledge / terminology may help on the day.

A question.. on the page given it says;

"Relax
Try to relax your upper body as much as possible. This will help
prevent fatigue and also prevent you from making sudden changes in
direction. Bend the arms a little and keep your head up."

From my (limited) experience.. I'd say keep you upper body as still as
possible... ie cycle like a swan... above the water appear to glide,
under the water paddle like hell :eek:)

Am I saying the same thing, or am I missing their point?

>Relax but stay aware,

I think this maybe the challenge... not the distance but the
concentration.

>have fun, don't bring the group down in a heap.
>:)

I don't want to scratch my frame.. myself, or anyone else :eek:)

Thanks
Mark

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:23:39 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:35:12 -0700, dkahn400 wrote:
>
>> Mark Blewett wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Having cycled alone, what should I look out for cycling in a group?

>The Bread Pudding Ride is listed as an easy paced LCC ride.
>Mark, I wouldn't worry too much about group riding.
>As long as you are confident to ride your bike on the road you'll get on
>fine.
>Just be aware of what's going on around you.

I think that's really the challenge for me... not the distance, but
getting use to the close continuous presence of other cyclists.. and I
guess the concentration needed (initially until your used to it).

>LCC rides of that type are generally not run along the lines of
>a road cycling peleton. People ride in a group, but (in my experience)
>generally don't draft each other, take turns at the front etc.
>Certainly on our rides the ride leader rides the way, and a back marker is
>appointed.
>After difficult junctions or if traffic lights turn red the leader
>might wait on the other side for the group to reform.

Thanks... not knowing what to expect, that's what I hope it would be..
and I have that impression from the group leader too.

>I've never been on a bread pudding ride, so I can't comment really.
>But as others have said, bring yourself plus bike with tyres pumped up
>hard and appropriate clothing for the day.
>Bring a spare inner tube to fit your bike - there will always be someone
>on the ride who has tools and will lend a hand. A spare tube means the
>group can get on the move quicker, and you can inspect/patch the old one
>at the lunch stop.

A spare inner is on my list to do next week.

>Bring some money for the bread pudding of course.

:eek:)

>Note down the organisers number and bring this with you.
>If you are late to the start they might wait 10 minutes for you,
>or if you get lost in the wilds of Surrey the leader might take pity and
>come to retrieve you.

I have no problem getting lost... I've done it often enough :eek:) I
treat as an adventure... eventually (having lived around these parts
for awhile) I should find my way home, albeit not via the most direct
route!

Thanks
Mark