Bread rising

Ken Knecht

Guest
I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to rise, or does so poorly. It uses
honey as a sweetener. I tried it again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
sugar. The loaf rose nicely. I don't know if this will affect the taste much if at all as I've not
tasted it yet.

Wrong brand of honey or is this sometimes a problem?

TIA

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to rise, or does so poorly. It uses
> honey as a sweetener. I tried it again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
> sugar. The loaf rose nicely. I don't know if this will affect the taste much if at all as I've not
> tasted it yet.
>
> Wrong brand of honey or is this sometimes a problem?
>
> TIA

Honey, as a rule, shouldn't be a problem. However, in her book "Cookwise" Corriher reports that
certain honeys, depending on the type of flowers the bees were visiting, may inhibit the yeast.
Unless you are using bulk yeast, my guess would be that it had nothing to do with the honey, but
everything to do with the yeast. You may have had yeast packets that were no longer vital. The
switch from honey to sugar could have been unrelated to the outcome. You might try a different brand
of honey and try again. I have never had a problem with honey in bread dough.

Ken Knecht <[email protected]> writes:

>I have one bread-machine recipe I like but it usually fails to rise, or does so poorly. It uses
>honey as a sweetener. I tried it again today but replaced the honey with an equal amount of white
>sugar. The loaf rose nicely.

Too much sugar can interfere with yeast growth. Honey has twice the sweetening power of cane sugar.
How much Honey you talking? Post the recipe? Without your recipe all anyone can do is offer wild
speculation.