Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

>Depending on this **** to communicate with other traffic will get you killed.

very true. a driver will not know what the lights are saying. it is pretty pointless.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Truepurple wrote:

> Im looking for a few different light kinds.
>
> Break lights that come on when you stop on a bike.

I see no use for these.

Brake lights are useful on cars because it's normal for all cars to move at approximately the same
speed. Bright brake lights alert the following drivers that the car in front is doing something
pretty unusual - that is, it will soon be going slower than other vehicles.

Drivers don't need to be told that about bikes, because it's normal for a bike to be going slower
than other vehicles.

> Turn signal lights you can use instead of sticking your arm out. Im not as concerned about looking
> goofy as much as the difficulty and risk associated with taking ones hands off the bar and
> sticking there arm out.

?? I don't see how a signaling cyclist looks goofy. And I don't see any great risk in signaling.

--
Frank Krygowski

Originally posted by Frkrygowhaltspa

I see no use for these.

Brake lights are useful on cars because it's normal for all cars to move at approximately the same
speed. Bright brake lights alert the following drivers that the car in front is doing something
pretty unusual - that is, it will soon be going slower than other vehicles.

Drivers don't need to be told that about bikes, because it's normal for a bike to be going slower
than other vehicles.

Apparently you 've never had a car ride your fender. As i'm going down a road its common for cars to come up drive right behind you for a bit then pass you, if they can(as in no traffic the other way) If I were to suddenly stop i'd get hit by said car riding my fender.

What difference does it make whether they expect you to go slow or not? If they don't expect you to stop and you do you could be in trouble. Hopefully a light letting them know your stopping would help with that.

@steve knight And whats hard to understand or risky about a flashing turn light?(not talking about the first link I posted) If a driver can't understand that then they should get off the road and go back to driving school since just about every car out there uses such a system. How often do you see cars signal a left hand turn with there arm? Or a motorbike signal a turn by sticking there arm out?

And it is somewhat hard and risky to stick your arm out. Sure it would get easier with practice but your still taking your hand off the break, not to mention risking some car trying to pass you taking your arm off.

@Mathias yah that light looks nice. Perhaps I could get that or tireflares http://www.buytireflys.com/. Nicest thing about the tireflares over the wheelie bike light is that the tireflares have antitheift mechanisms on them so someone couldn't just pop them off and walk off with em. But the tireflares do use two batteries instead of the wheelies one. Anyone have experience with either? Anyone know what battery type the tireflares use?

@the obnoxious Ryan Yah I did searches first. And came up with nothing. Clearly you are so much more skilled at using search engines then me. Thats great, now shutup. I looked and looked and found nothing so asked here just in case someone knew. You can either be nice and help or not. Either way no need to give me grief.

How about one of those miniature LED lights on your gloves? Motorists wouldn't see them until you
were sticking your hand out to signal, and extended thirty inches or so out from the bike would make
it much nore obvious as a turn signal at a distance than the six inch seperation you would get on a
bike mounted signal.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

See you on the road. Chris Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

ruepurple asked:

>Whats a retro reflector and how does it differ from a regular reflector?

No differance. just another name for it (English?)

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

See you on the road. Chris Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Truepurple <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lights at the end of handle bars for increased side visability

If you have a road bike, your basic red rear light with seatpost mount will fit just fine on the
bottom of the drops.

RFM

Truepurple wrote:
>
> Apparently you 've never had a car ride your fender.

Oh, I've had that happen occasionally. But I've never needed a brake light.

> As i'm going down a road its common for cars to come up drive right behind you for a bit then pass
> you, if they can(as in no traffic the other way) If I were to suddenly stop i'd get hit by said
> car riding my fender.
>
> What difference does it make whether they expect you to go slow or not? If they don't expect you
> to stop and you do you could be in trouble. Hopefully a light letting them know your stopping
> would help with that.

Well, I imagine that whatever's up ahead and causing you to stop would be quite visible to a driver
just behind you. And a car can stop _much_ more quickly than a bicycle. So your sudden stop is
unlikely to surprise them, and they won't likely hit you anyway.

The rest of the world seems to think bike brake lights aren't needed. Certainly, I've _never_ seen a
cyclist using a brake light. I've _never_ seen a bike brake light for sale.

But if you feel you need one, go ahead and install one. It's little things like this that help keep
our economy going. ;-)

--
Frank Krygowski

"Truepurple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Apparently you 've never had a car ride your fender. As i'm going down a road its common for cars
> to come up drive right behind you for a bit then pass you, if they can(as in no traffic the other
> way) If I were to suddenly stop i'd get hit by said car riding my fender.

As if a driver would be able to see or understand what the illumination of a dim red light on the
back of a bike is supposed to mean.

As I said, having such a light might do no harm, as long as you don't actually depend on it to have
any benefit.

I've been in the situation you describe many times. If I've needed to signal to the following
driver, my hands are far more expressive and visible. If I've needed to come to such a sudden stop
that I had no time to signal, the need was just as obvious to the driver. And if they didn't see the
hazard, they're even less likely to see a little red bike light go on.

> What difference does it make whether they expect you to go slow or not? If they don't expect you
> to stop and you do you could be in trouble. Hopefully a light letting them know your stopping
> would help with that.

What reason to stop while riding in a thru lane could possibly apply to you but not the driver
behind you? It's not like you're blocking his view of anything.
>
> @steve knight And whats hard to understand or risky about a flashing turn light?(not talking about
> the first link I posted) If a driver can't understand that then they should get off the road and
> go back to driving school since just about every car out there uses such a system. How often do
> you see cars signal a left hand turn with there arm? Or a motorbike signal a turn by sticking
> there arm out?

Again, flashing lights on bikes mean something different to drivers than do flashing lights on cars.
They *expect* cyclists to signal with their hands (if they signal at all).

The single most important principle of vehicular cycling safety is to do what's expected, to be
predictable.

> And it is somewhat hard and risky to stick your arm out. Sure it would get easier with practice
> but your still taking your hand off the break, not to mention risking some car trying to pass you
> taking your arm off.

You're imagining dangers that don't exist. First, if you lack the skill to execute a turn signal
with your arm I question whether you should be riding in traffic at all. Second, don't you have a
mirror? Or at least a head that turns? If you're trying to move left across traffic and worried
about your arm being injured, you're not looking behind you sufficiently. Third, under what
circumstances would you be moving left across traffic in a situation where you'd need to signal
*and* be braking at the same time?

It obviously doesn't affect me whether you buy turn signal lights or brake lights. Be my guest. But
as a fellow cyclist I'd be very concerned if you then relied on such lights to protect you in any
way, or substituted them for improved cycling skills.

RichC

On 17 Nov 2003 08:33:30 +1050, Truepurple <[email protected]> w

>@steve knight And whats hard to understand or risky about a flashing turn light?(not talking about
>the first link I posted) If a driver can't understand that then they should get off the road and go
>back to driving school since just about every car out there uses such a system. How
>
but flashing lights on the rear of a bike at night are the norm. why would a driver assume it is a
stop light or a turn signal? since no one has one on their bikes it is not something drivers are
aware of. hell it is hard to find a bike with lights period.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.