Break squeal?

PiL

Apr 28, 2003
Just got a new TREK 4300 and the rear breaks squeal badly - pretty annoying. The fronts are fine. Do I have to live w/this, or is there a fix?

If they are rim brakes, try toeing the brake pads just a bit towards the front (i.e. the front of the brake pad is slightly closer to the rim than the rear)

Also try cleaning the braking surface with something like isopropyl alcohol or some other cleaner that leaves no residue.

If you've only just recently bought the bike, the bike store you bought it from should be able to help out with this.

Originally posted by PiL
Just got a new TREK 4300 and the breaks squeal badly - pretty annoying. Do I have to live w/this, or is there a fix?

the only time my Specialized's brakes have squealed was when they were wet. If you've been riding it already, getting it wet, let it sit in the sun for a little and dry out.

Originally posted by rek
If they are rim brakes, try toeing the brake pads just a bit towards the front (i.e. the front of the brake pad is slightly closer to the rim than the rear)

Also try cleaning the braking surface with something like isopropyl alcohol or some other cleaner that leaves no residue.

If you've only just recently bought the bike, the bike store you bought it from should be able to help out with this.

Thanks! I'll try that.

If the toe in thing didn't work then set the pads back so they meet the rim squarely, i.e. the pad touches all the way along it's length at the same time. Toe-in was recommended for older style rim brakes but not for V brakes so don't use it unless there's no other solution.
Sounds like the bike is very new? If it is then my best advice would be to see how it goes for a week or two. New rims often scream like a banshee for a little while. Not sure why, the advice on cleaning with alcohol may well prevent it. It normally clears up on it's own, annoying though it is :)

Try dusting the sides of the rims that make contact with the brake pads with chalk. I learned that tip in the July 2003 issue of MOUNTAIN BIKE ACTION magazine.

I reread the article in MOUNTAIN BIKE ACTION. ...don't want to spread misinformation that may lead to injury. Also I am in information hound. ;=)

well i tried the chalk but it didn't work. it worked for the first 10 metres but then it went back to the usiual squeaks.

i was thinkin of getting a knife and cutting a very thin layer off the brake pads. will that work??

Dunno about slicing. Try some 800-1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper, instead.

Dunno. Don't really have experience in that area. Contact your local LBS.

I have had the bike for over a month now and had the great pleasure of getting her real dirty a few times. I have since cleaned her off and the squeal is gone at this time. I guess the breaks just needed broken in.

my brakes however didn't stop squealing.

so i went and bought a set of Avid v-brakes (including levers). SILENT. best brakes i've ever used. but i haven't used disk brakes yet, the whole concept is too high tech and attracts theiving eyes only too well.

i'm happy, if onyl i knew what that small red knob did on my Avid speed dial 5 levers. oh well i've already asked so we'll see if anyone responds.

it could have something to do with the length of the cable (how hard it is to pull back) or possibly how fast the lever will rebound...

maybe you should fiddle round and see what it feels like it is doing...:confused:

i've decided all it does is make the lever feel more "squishy" or "solid". it doesn't pull the cable at all (there's another knob for that). it's quite good i suppose becuase i can change it whenever i feel like it.