breakfast at 1PM today

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sf, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    Nope, I didn't even call it "brunch".

    Dutch Baby for Two
    preheat the oven to 400°
    lower your rack to the bottom 1/3

    2 eggs
    1/2C flour
    1/2C whole milk
    dash salt
    1/4t sugar

    Dump all the ingredients in a bowl. I beat it until light with an
    electric mixer. You can use a wire whip and blend until smooth.

    1T butter (be generous)

    Although you can use a regular 9" pan, I used my cast iron skillet -
    and I preheated it in the oven. When the oven was hot, I took out the
    skillet and melted the butter in it, tilting to coat the bottom. Pour
    in the batter and return to the oven.

    Bake for 15 minutes or until it has risen and browned.
    Take out and let cool for a couple of minutes while you're pouring
    coffee/tea/OJ. Dust with powdered sugar, cut into quarters and serve.

    I served it with diced (fresh) nectarines coated with boysenberry jam
    piled on top of each quarter. The fact that I had just a dab of
    whipped cream stopped me from turning a perfectly healthy meal into a
    glutton's delight.

    YUM! Many thanks to Wayne and Tara for the Dutch Baby reminder! Why
    don't I do this more often? Beats the heck out of me.

    PS: Next time I'll add 1/4 t vanilla to the batter.

    :)

  2. On Mon 16 Jan 2006 03:43:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

    > Nope, I didn't even call it "brunch".
    >
    > Dutch Baby for Two
    > preheat the oven to 400°
    > lower your rack to the bottom 1/3
    >
    > 2 eggs
    > 1/2C flour
    > 1/2C whole milk
    > dash salt
    > 1/4t sugar
    >
    > Dump all the ingredients in a bowl. I beat it until light with an
    > electric mixer. You can use a wire whip and blend until smooth.
    >
    > 1T butter (be generous)
    >
    > Although you can use a regular 9" pan, I used my cast iron skillet -
    > and I preheated it in the oven. When the oven was hot, I took out the
    > skillet and melted the butter in it, tilting to coat the bottom. Pour
    > in the batter and return to the oven.
    >
    > Bake for 15 minutes or until it has risen and browned.
    > Take out and let cool for a couple of minutes while you're pouring
    > coffee/tea/OJ. Dust with powdered sugar, cut into quarters and serve.
    >
    > I served it with diced (fresh) nectarines coated with boysenberry jam
    > piled on top of each quarter. The fact that I had just a dab of
    > whipped cream stopped me from turning a perfectly healthy meal into a
    > glutton's delight.
    >
    > YUM! Many thanks to Wayne and Tara for the Dutch Baby reminder! Why
    > don't I do this more often? Beats the heck out of me.
    >
    > PS: Next time I'll add 1/4 t vanilla to the batter.
    >
    >:)

    Mmmm,,, The nectarine/boysenberry jam treatment sounds yummy!

    BTW, I did send you the recipe by e-mail, but I didn't see your request
    until probably too late, as I was "napping". What are holidays for anyway?
    <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

    Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On 16 Jan 2006 23:53:44 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Mon 16 Jan 2006 03:43:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
    >
    > > Nope, I didn't even call it "brunch".
    > >
    > > Dutch Baby for Two

    <snip>
    > > YUM! Many thanks to Wayne and Tara for the Dutch Baby reminder! Why
    > > don't I do this more often? Beats the heck out of me.
    > >
    > > PS: Next time I'll add 1/4 t vanilla to the batter.
    > >
    > >:)

    > Mmmm,,, The nectarine/boysenberry jam treatment sounds yummy!
    >
    > BTW, I did send you the recipe by e-mail, but I didn't see your request
    > until probably too late, as I was "napping". What are holidays for anyway?
    > <g>

    Thanks, I got the recipe (which is saved to file) when I returned to
    my computer after pigging out on my Dutch Baby. Our recipes are very,
    very similar... so it must be the yorkshire pudding of breakfasts!
    LOL

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > Nope, I didn't even call it "brunch".

    At that time of day I'd have called it "linner" ;)

    Jill