breakfast on a bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ben Pfaff, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Ben Pfaff

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    spoon, either, from the looks of it.

    No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    ever will be.
    --
    Ben Pfaff
    email: [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. > Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    > holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    > He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    > the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    > spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >
    > No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    > ever will be.
    > --
    > Ben Pfaff

    Ben: That's why you bring a small camera with you when you ride. You just
    never know what you're going to see out there!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    Ben Pfaff wrote:
    > Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    > holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    > He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    > the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    > spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >
    > No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    > ever will be.

    I hope he was using soy milk. Man, lactose and riding at the same
    time...blech!
    \\paul

  4. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:31:53 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    >> holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    >> He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    >> the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    >> spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >>
    >> No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    >> ever will be.
    >> --
    >> Ben Pfaff

    >Ben: That's why you bring a small camera with you when you ride. You just
    >never know what you're going to see out there!
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    mostly hands-free.

    I'll hunt around and see if it's anywhere online. It's about 8
    minutes long and often appears as a short at some bike film nights.

    --
    zk

  5. "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    > holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    > He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    > the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    > spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >
    > No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    > ever will be.
    > --
    > Ben Pfaff
    > email: [email protected]
    > web: http://benpfaff.org

    Was it a bowl of Cheerios?
    -tom

  6. Ben Pfaff

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    >> holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    >> He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    >> the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    >> spoon, either, from the looks of it.

    > Was it a bowl of Cheerios?

    I didn't get close enough to tell. When I approached him, he was
    on the MUP that runs along Palm Drive on Stanford campus, whereas
    I was in the bike lane in the street. (I did see him negotiate a
    couple of intersections where he had to stop. Pretty impressive
    in my opinion.)

    Why?
    --
    Ben Pfaff
    email: [email protected]

  7. "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    >>> holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    >>> He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    >>> the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    >>> spoon, either, from the looks of it.

    >> Was it a bowl of Cheerios?

    > I didn't get close enough to tell. When I approached him, he was
    > on the MUP that runs along Palm Drive on Stanford campus, whereas
    > I was in the bike lane in the street. (I did see him negotiate a
    > couple of intersections where he had to stop. Pretty impressive
    > in my opinion.)
    >
    > Why?
    > --
    > Ben Pfaff
    > email: [email protected]
    > web: http://benpfaff.org

    I was going to say, if you indeed noticed the cyclist was eating a bowl of
    Cheerios with milk and fresh cut strawberries, then you have extremely keen
    eyes.
    -tom

  8. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    An amusing thought: I wonder whether eating cereal in traffic is as
    hazardous as talking on a cell phone. e.g. If the car in front of you
    stops suddenly, do you give priority to braking, or not spilling?

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ben Pfaff wrote:
    :: "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> writes:
    ::
    ::: "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ::: news:[email protected]
    :::: Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    :::: holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    :::: He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    :::: the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    :::: spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    :::
    ::: Was it a bowl of Cheerios?
    ::
    :: I didn't get close enough to tell. When I approached him, he was
    :: on the MUP that runs along Palm Drive on Stanford campus, whereas
    :: I was in the bike lane in the street. (I did see him negotiate a
    :: couple of intersections where he had to stop. Pretty impressive
    :: in my opinion.)

    Did he stop in a track stand?

  10. jb

    jb Guest

    Ben Pfaff wrote:
    > Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    > holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    > He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    > the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    > spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >
    > No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    > ever will be.

    traditionally, it's eat a powerbar, think about milk

  11. > There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    > her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    > mostly hands-free.

    How does one change clothes on a bike? Difficult enough to put on a
    windbreaker without stopping.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:31:53 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    >>> holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    >>> He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    >>> the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    >>> spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >>>
    >>> No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    >>> ever will be.
    >>> --
    >>> Ben Pfaff

    >>Ben: That's why you bring a small camera with you when you ride. You just
    >>never know what you're going to see out there!
    >>
    >>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >>

    > There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    > her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    > mostly hands-free.
    >
    > I'll hunt around and see if it's anywhere online. It's about 8
    > minutes long and often appears as a short at some bike film nights.
    >
    > --
    > zk

  12. Don Freeman

    Don Freeman Guest

    >> There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    >> her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    >> mostly hands-free.

    > How does one change clothes on a bike? Difficult enough to put on a
    > windbreaker without stopping.

    ..
    Hell, I'm trying to picture the pantyhose going on. Now that would
    definitely cause a few more accidents then just her own.

    --
    -Don
    Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

  13. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in news:tKgUf.58484$Jd.53613
    @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
    > Ben: That's why you bring a small camera with you when you ride. You just
    > never know what you're going to see out there!

    I remember seeing a photo of Jon Boyer eating a plate of spaghetti with a
    fork during the RAAM race. He won that year.

  14. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:40:20 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    >> her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    >> mostly hands-free.

    >How does one change clothes on a bike? Difficult enough to put on a
    >windbreaker without stopping.

    I remember the skirt going on over her head so she was, for a few
    moments, riding blind. The whole thing was filmed by bike too.
    Judging by the lack of traffic along the bike path it looks like it
    was shot on a dreary Sunday morning.
    --
    zk

  15. Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > "Ben Pfaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    >>holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    >>He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    >>the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    >>spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >>
    >>No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    >>ever will be.
    >>--
    >>Ben Pfaff
    >>email: [email protected]
    >>web: http://benpfaff.org

    > Was it a bowl of Cheerios?
    > -tom

    as long as it wasn't one of those "Meat-normous" breakfast sandwiches
    from Burger king. EWWWWWWWWWW.

  16. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Ben Pfaff wrote:
    > Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    > holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    > He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    > the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    > spoon, either, from the looks of it.
    >
    > No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    > ever will be.
    > --

    Dangerous, crazy, and thumbs up. :-D

    If you're gonna be nutso on a bike, be original.

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Ben Pfaff wrote:
    :: Yesterday I saw a fellow riding a bike with one hand dedicated to
    :: holding a cereal bowl. The other hand was holding the spoon.
    :: He'd ride along no-hands eating cereal, steering and braking with
    :: the spoon hand as necessary. It wasn't a paper bowl or a plastic
    :: spoon, either, from the looks of it.

    Where do you suppose he put the bowl when he was done? I can't imagine
    stuff a stoneware bowl in my rear jersey pocket for the duration of a long
    ride.

    ::
    :: No way am I well enough coordinated to do that, nor do I think I
    :: ever will be.
    :: --
    :: Ben Pfaff
    :: email: [email protected]
    :: web: http://benpfaff.org

  18. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Zoot Katz wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:40:20 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> There exists footage of a Vancouver woman eating breakfast, changing
    >>> her clothes and, IIRC, applying make-up all while riding her bike,
    >>> mostly hands-free.

    >> How does one change clothes on a bike? Difficult enough to put on a
    >> windbreaker without stopping.

    > I remember the skirt going on over her head so she was, for a few
    > moments, riding blind. The whole thing was filmed by bike too.
    > Judging by the lack of traffic along the bike path it looks like it
    > was shot on a dreary Sunday morning.

    Dreary, maybe, but it sounds like the moon was out to brighten things up a
    bit.

  19. I ride for long periods of time freehanded. Mostly to loosen up the
    shoulders and arms. But this isn't in heavy traffic. And usually if a
    car is coming, I start steering, just so they don't worry about me
    getting out of control.
    Jim Gagnepain
    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

  20. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:56:50 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in news:tKgUf.58484$Jd.53613
    >@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
    >> Ben: That's why you bring a small camera with you when you ride. You just
    >> never know what you're going to see out there!

    >I remember seeing a photo of Jon Boyer eating a plate of spaghetti with a
    >fork during the RAAM race. He won that year.

    I remember that. He made it a point to sit up and dine while passing a
    competitor's rest break.

    Ron