Breakfast

You need to have a light breakfast only. There should be a bit of protein and carbohydrates and that should be enough. I would normally eat an egg and then a piece of bread plus half of a banana and that's usually enough to keep me going from like 5:30am to 9am. If you eat too much, your body will feel sluggish and your endurance is consequently affected. On the other hand, if you eat too little, your body will get exhausted easily and it will feel like your body is not having proper blood circulation. You wouldn't want any of these distractions during biking.

It all depends on how well you can take it. If you are able to perform the same by having a breakfast and then cycling then it's good to have a breakfast
Otherwise I think it is advisable not to have.

I would definitely recommend eating before, getting calories before riding is pretty important. Also you need to be hydrated, so for about 30 minutes constantly drink water. Before I workout in the morning, I always eat something that has carbohydrates and some sugar, really makes me feel more energetic and ready to get on the workout and day itself

[SIZE=medium]Black coffee and coconut oil, start off with a teaspoon and work your way up. Has MCT’s and other goodies like lauric acid well worth looking into.[/SIZE]

Start eating breakfast before you head out! It's supposed to be the biggest meal of the day and that is where you will be getting most of your long term energy from! Once you run out of those power bars, you'll be toast... I'd say eat oatmeal with raisins and some pourage. Half cup of water, half cup of milk, some oatmeal of your chocie, sprinkle some bananas and raisins in there and that should be a energy boosting breakfast, along with orange juice. Not a big fan of caffeine though since you may feel fine with lots of energy at the beginning, but you will crash pretty darn fast going further down on your trip...

Usually for breakfast I like to have something simple most of the time when I'm trying to have a good breakfast I sit back and I think what would give the energy for the day. I usually have a nice energy/protein bar mixed in with a lot of other different vitamins and minerals. And then I also enjoy having an Apple may be an orange and some sort of vegetable for breakfast as well.

I don't eat until I get back. I don't like feeling weighed down. It's the same reason I drink coffee, but not coffee drinks.

I don't eat until I get back. I don't like feeling weighed down. It's the same reason I drink coffee, but not coffee drinks.

I feel better when I have a bit of food in my belly. It might just be a mind trick, but it works for me. Also, as they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Try having an egg and a smoothie along with your coffee and see if you feel better.

A light breakfast should suffice. I use to start working out at 4am, 5 days a week. I never use to eat and was running on power bars, some water, but I did take a bunch of vitamins and mineral an hour before heading out.

If you are going out on a long ride,power bars are good. I normal snack on little sandwiches which for me, don't induce sudden urges to use the toilet.

joshposh said:
A light breakfast should suffice. I use to start working out at 4am, 5 days a week. I never use to eat and was running on power bars, some water, but I did take a bunch of vitamins and mineral an hour before heading out.

If you are going out on a long ride,power bars are good. I normal snack on little sandwiches which for me, don't induce sudden urges to use the toilet.
Yeah, try to stay away from juices and milk. If you're lacotse intolerant it's going to suck trying to find a usable toilet on the road.

I say, eat breakfast after your ride. I don't know about you but I usually feel slower and heavier after I eat. Also, I just don't want to go for a ride, go for a walk or exercise after I eat a meal. You're not starving yourself just because you ride before you eat so you'll be fine waiting on breakfast. Just remember to bring some water and drink often!

Another thing too. If you do decide to eat something before heading out, eat lightly. You don't want to be pedaling and you can hear your stomach shifting weight and water from left and right. That sucks.

Ah the swishing of water moving back and forth in your stomach. Who hasn't felt that before. I use to do a lot of sit up and will feel and the reason why you shouldn't fill your belly with too much food and water. So keep it light.

I like plain oatmeal sweetened with a little bit of honey and a teaspoon of butter added for flavor. I'll often grab a hard boiled egg and a banana as well.

We are all different.

I did a 250 mile ride the other day with only coffee and coconut oil before the start....so, that was my breakfast.

I consumed a total of 3400 calories of very specific carbs, proteins, and fats for the whole day. Sounds like a lot but not really. I'm 190 LBs.

The first 200 miles took just over 10 hours including stops. The last 50 miles were more leasurely for no real reason.....just over 3 hours. Felt great. No sloshing and swishing in my stomach, this would represent a dietary or work output error. No GI issues. Could have done the ride again.

Personally, I need to eat every morning before I do anything. If I'm doing physical activity, it needs to be something light that won't weigh me down or make me feel sick. Something like fruit, toast, or yogurt is good. Eggs are alright too as long as I don't eat too many of them.

This is a very to each their own subject. It really depends on YOU. I have to do a little experimenting before I determined I needed to eat before my day kicked off. I have a friend who works the whole day on just coffee, and I have friends who eat 1000 calories before noon. I function best on 3 square meals a day.
Can I suggest trying oatmeal for your breakfast? Dirt cheap and super healthy and give you good clean energy and keeps you full. NOT that instant sugar-filled garbage but honest to goodness real oats.