Breakfast

Janice Kennish

Guest
Hi everyone,

I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
sprinkle of powdered sugar on it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
to get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I
would assume not many if any at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70
calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
204.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let me know how many points for the waffle if they
figure it out? Thanks!!

--
Janice
204/1/150 (maybe 130)

Hi Janice,

It looks like 3 points to me. Also sounds very nice!

Carol

318/239.4/169
78.6 lost since December 2002
I am a slim person in process.
"Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It
> may be something you all have tried already--I may be behind the times. I
> had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a sprinkle of powdered sugar
on
> it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
> get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error,
> but here's the nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the
> powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I would assume not many if
any
> at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70
> calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
> 203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
> 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb
> breakfast but possibly a fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
me
> know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!
>
> --
> Janice
> 263/252/150 (maybe 130)

I'm going to have to take your word on the nutritional info for the waffle, but I've never seen any
that are that low in calories or fat. Usually these mixes will have two or three different sets of
nutrtional values, so you have to be really careful as to which one you use for calculations. If
using for the mix only, remember to add the other ingredients into the equation. Just as an example,
I have a box of Krusteaz fat free baking mix sitting in front of me ... says that 1/2 cup mix will
make 3 pancakes ... 200 calories/0 fat/6g fiber. Now here is where my giggles start. I just read the
directions for pancakes on the back of the box. 1 cup of mix will make 6 pancakes. Is MY math wrong
(I THINK there are 3, one-third servings in a cup ... so would expect that 1 cup of mix would make 9
pancakes - based on the nutritional info provided). BUT - point being ... you may have divided the
given information by the amount of waffles you made ... but maybe not multiplied the information to
equal the amount of mix you used? I would have a very hard time buying that a waffle from a regular
mix was less calories than 3 pancakes from the same companies fat free mix. Know what I mean?

From the information you give, looks to me like the waffle is close to 1.5 points
- taking a guess that fiber isn't used in your program.

Joyce

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:30:11 GMT, "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
>have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
>sprinkle of powdered sugar on it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I
>tried to get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
>nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle
>I would assume not many if any at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about
>70 calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
>203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
> 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
> fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let me know how many points for the waffle if they
> figure it out? Thanks!!

sure does sound good, Lee
Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
> have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
> sprinkle of powdered sugar
on
> it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
> get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the nutrition
> information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I would
> assume not many if
any
> at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70 calories, less than 1 gram
> of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
> 203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
> 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
> fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
me
> know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!
>
> --
> Janice
> 263/252/150 (maybe 130)

Joyce,

After mixing the mix with water (that's all I use for Krustez) I made 10 waffles with 1-3/4 cup mix.
That works out to about 3 waffles for 1/2 cup of mix. It's 210 calories for 3 waffles so if you
divide 210 by 3 you get 70 calories per waffle.

I have found a lot of "fat free" products have only a few calories than their "regular" products--in
this case it seems to be only a 10 calorie difference and not that much fat.

As for fiber no, it isn't taken into account in RS much but that is the .34 dietary--that's
the fiber.

--
Janice
263/252/150 (maybe 130)

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
on
> >it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
> >get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
> >nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a
> >sprinkle I would assume not many if
any
> >at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70 calories, less than 1
> >gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
> >203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
> > 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly
> > a fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
me
> >know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!

I love waffles, but haven't made homemade in a long time. The last time I did, I think I used
Hodgkins brand whole wheat mix - came out to about 2 or 3 points per waffle ... for the big belgian
waffle size though. Doubt I could get 3 waffles out of 1/2 cup of dry mix. LOL! I'm horribly lazy, a
convenience cook. Now I buy the Eggo lowfat nutri-grain fozen waffles - 2 waffles, 2.5 points. Quick
and easy. <g>

I've noticed the same thing with many lowfat items, am pretty discriminating about buying items when
only a few calories difference. Cool whip is one of those items
- only something like a 5 calorie difference between versions, not enough to make a big difference.

Joyce