Breakfast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Janice Kennish, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
    have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
    sprinkle of powdered sugar on it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
    to get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
    nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I
    would assume not many if any at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70
    calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
    203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
    204.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
    fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let me know how many points for the waffle if they
    figure it out? Thanks!!

    --
    Janice
    204/1/150 (maybe 130)

    Tags:

  2. Carol In Nc

    Carol In Nc Guest

    Hi Janice,

    It looks like 3 points to me. Also sounds very nice!

    Carol

    318/239.4/169
    78.6 lost since December 2002
    I am a slim person in process.
    "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It
    > may be something you all have tried already--I may be behind the times. I
    > had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a sprinkle of powdered sugar
    on
    > it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
    > get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error,
    > but here's the nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the
    > powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I would assume not many if
    any
    > at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70
    > calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
    > 203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
    > 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb
    > breakfast but possibly a fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
    me
    > know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!
    >
    > --
    > Janice
    > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)

  3. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I'm going to have to take your word on the nutritional info for the waffle, but I've never seen any
    that are that low in calories or fat. Usually these mixes will have two or three different sets of
    nutrtional values, so you have to be really careful as to which one you use for calculations. If
    using for the mix only, remember to add the other ingredients into the equation. Just as an example,
    I have a box of Krusteaz fat free baking mix sitting in front of me ... says that 1/2 cup mix will
    make 3 pancakes ... 200 calories/0 fat/6g fiber. Now here is where my giggles start. I just read the
    directions for pancakes on the back of the box. 1 cup of mix will make 6 pancakes. Is MY math wrong
    (I THINK there are 3, one-third servings in a cup ... so would expect that 1 cup of mix would make 9
    pancakes - based on the nutritional info provided). BUT - point being ... you may have divided the
    given information by the amount of waffles you made ... but maybe not multiplied the information to
    equal the amount of mix you used? I would have a very hard time buying that a waffle from a regular
    mix was less calories than 3 pancakes from the same companies fat free mix. Know what I mean?

    From the information you give, looks to me like the waffle is close to 1.5 points
    - taking a guess that fiber isn't used in your program.

    Joyce

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:30:11 GMT, "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
    >have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
    >sprinkle of powdered sugar on it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I
    >tried to get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
    >nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle
    >I would assume not many if any at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about
    >70 calories, less than 1 gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
    >203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
    > 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
    > fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let me know how many points for the waffle if they
    > figure it out? Thanks!!

  4. sure does sound good, Lee
    Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I made a breakfast that was great this morning and thought I'd share. It may be something you all
    > have tried already--I may be behind the times. I had a homemade waffle with sliced banana and a
    > sprinkle of powdered sugar
    on
    > it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
    > get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the nutrition
    > information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a sprinkle I would
    > assume not many if
    any
    > at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70 calories, less than 1 gram
    > of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
    > 203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
    > 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly a
    > fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
    me
    > know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!
    >
    > --
    > Janice
    > 263/252/150 (maybe 130)

  5. Joyce,

    After mixing the mix with water (that's all I use for Krustez) I made 10 waffles with 1-3/4 cup mix.
    That works out to about 3 waffles for 1/2 cup of mix. It's 210 calories for 3 waffles so if you
    divide 210 by 3 you get 70 calories per waffle.

    I have found a lot of "fat free" products have only a few calories than their "regular" products--in
    this case it seems to be only a 10 calorie difference and not that much fat.

    As for fiber no, it isn't taken into account in RS much but that is the .34 dietary--that's
    the fiber.

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    on
    > >it. It was good and filling!! I don't know the exact points as I tried
    > >get the calculator up to figure them out and it keeps coming up an error, but here's the
    > >nutrition information. The banana was 1.5 points, the powdered sugar I don't know, just a
    > >sprinkle I would assume not many if
    any
    > >at all and the waffle (homemade with regular Krusteaz mix) was about 70 calories, less than 1
    > >gram of total fat (.83 grams), 1.67 mg cholesterol,
    > >203.34 mg sodium, 13.34 g total carbohydrates with .34 being dietary and
    > > 2.34 being sugar, 2 grams of protein. This is definately not a low carb breakfast but possibly
    > > a fairly low point breakfast!!! Could someone let
    me
    > >know how many points for the waffle if they figure it out? Thanks!!

  6. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I love waffles, but haven't made homemade in a long time. The last time I did, I think I used
    Hodgkins brand whole wheat mix - came out to about 2 or 3 points per waffle ... for the big belgian
    waffle size though. Doubt I could get 3 waffles out of 1/2 cup of dry mix. LOL! I'm horribly lazy, a
    convenience cook. Now I buy the Eggo lowfat nutri-grain fozen waffles - 2 waffles, 2.5 points. Quick
    and easy. <g>

    I've noticed the same thing with many lowfat items, am pretty discriminating about buying items when
    only a few calories difference. Cool whip is one of those items
    - only something like a 5 calorie difference between versions, not enough to make a big difference.

    Joyce