Breaking 9 Speed Campy Chain

Hi,

I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
something.

I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
fix it?

I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
with a connector "thing".

Thanks for any help.

Graham

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
> something.
>
> I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
> chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
> fix it?
>
> I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
> sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
> or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
> searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
> to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
> with a connector "thing".

Like Shimano they have a special procedure connecting the chain. Is even
more a PIA and not practical on the road. Yes you can use a conventional
chainbreaker tool to break/shorten the chain, but connect the chain with
a quicklink like a connex. See http://www.connexchain.com/ and click on
products > connectors.
Take a spare one with you on the road, and the chainbreaker tool of coarse.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
> something.
>
> I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
> chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
> fix it?
>
> I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
> sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
> or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
> searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
> to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
> with a connector "thing".
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Graham

No worries, break and rejoin as any other chain. I did this for a number
of years on my Campag Record 9sp chains with no negative effects. Just
make sure the pin is properly centred between the plates.

I now use a Campag Record 10 drivetrain, though with a Wipperman Connex
chain but that requires the special link to join it.

/Robert

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
> something.
>
> I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
> chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
> fix it?

carry a chain tool and splice it like any other chain. don't stand on
the way home.

> I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
> sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
> or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
> searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
> to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
> with a connector "thing".

how exactly will a connector help you ride a broken chain home? you'll
still need a chain tool, and a second connector.

personally, i wouldn't sweat it. if manufacturer instructions are
followed, the chain won't break. oh, and don't use that super green
cleaner stuff on your chain - high risk of stress corrosion cracking.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
> something.
>
> I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
> chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
> fix it?
>
> I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
> sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
> or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
> searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
> to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
> with a connector "thing".
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Graham

C9 chains were some of the last designed to have the pin pushed out and
then same pin pushed back in...BUT I would use and carry a Sram gold
snap link...works great for this and any 9s chain...Chains breaking on
the road, when installed correctly, is pretty rare.

Lou Holtman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently bought my first road bike, and am just a bit stuck on
> > something.
> >
> > I was wondering what the score is with breaking a Campagnolo 9 speed
> > chain (C9)? For example, if it snaps on me whilst out riding, how do I
> > fix it?
> >
> > I'm used to working on Shimano chains on my mountain bike, but I'm not
> > sure if a conventional chain breaking tool will work with this chain,
> > or if infact I may even need different pins for Campy chains? I have
> > searched the internet high and low, but am struggling to find an answer
> > to this. Many people I notice recommend changing for a different chain
> > with a connector "thing".

> Like Shimano they have a special procedure connecting the chain. Is even
> more a PIA and not practical on the road. Yes you can use a conventional
> chainbreaker tool to break/shorten the chain, but connect the chain with
> a quicklink like a connex. See http://www.connexchain.com/ and click on
> products > connectors.
> Take a spare one with you on the road, and the chainbreaker tool of coarse.

Not true with the Campag 9s chain...that happened with 10s,

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
aham

> C9 chains were some of the last designed to have the pin pushed out and
> then same pin pushed back in...BUT I would use and carry a Sram gold
> snap link...works great for this and any 9s chain...Chains breaking on
> the road, when installed correctly, is pretty rare.

Amen. I've been riding this time around-I quit during the 60s for
obvious reasons-for 35 years and I've NEVER broken a chain.
Phil Brown

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> writes:

> C9 chains were some of the last designed to have the pin pushed out and
> then same pin pushed back in...BUT I would use and carry a Sram gold
> snap link...works great for this and any 9s chain...Chains breaking on
> the road, when installed correctly, is pretty rare.

I've had a Sram chain break at the PowerLink three times in about as
many years. The strangest case was apparently simply from vibration as
it happened when coasting on a bumpy (snowy) path, the other two when
pedaling under force. Am just spectacularly unlucky or am I doing
something wrong?

I had something particularly rare happen. I had a Campy C9 chain break
right in the middle of the INNER plates! The chain had less than a
thousand miles on it.

I then did a "no-no" and fished the "extra" links out of my tool box and
spliced in some of those. This "improperly" fixed chain lasted more
than 2000 additional miles with no apparent problems before I retired it.