Breaking Away- 25 years!

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:14:38 -0800, The Real Bev
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Didn't Missy Giove freak out & annoy a bunch of skiers there once, by bombing down admist them on
>> her downhill bike?
>
>Don't see why. I think you can ski downhill faster than you can bike. They might have been annoyed
>that she was wearing clothes or maybe it was the sharpened studded tires.

yow. naked skiing?

h'mmmm.

-Luigi

"The Real Bev" <[email protected]> wrote

> Don't see why. I think you can ski downhill faster than you can bike. They might have been annoyed
> that she was wearing clothes or maybe it was the sharpened studded tires.

A extreme angles, and if you're really crazy, you can go almost as fast on a bike as on skis. The
record, IIRC, on a MTB on a speed ski slope (cliff) is 120+ mph.

Pete

Pete wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Don't see why. I think you can ski downhill faster than you can bike. They might have been
> > annoyed that she was wearing clothes or maybe it was the sharpened studded tires.
>
> A extreme angles, and if you're really crazy, you can go almost as fast on a bike as on skis. The
> record, IIRC, on a MTB on a speed ski slope (cliff) is 120+ mph.

So that was terminal velocity after going over a cliff?

--
Cheers, Bev ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo "Few skills are so well
rewarded as the ability to convince parasites that they are victims." --Thomas Sowell

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Didn't Missy Giove freak out & annoy a bunch of skiers there once, by bombing down admist them
> >> on her downhill bike?
> >
> >Don't see why. I think you can ski downhill faster than you can bike. They might have been
> >annoyed that she was wearing clothes or maybe it was the sharpened studded tires.
>
> yow. naked skiing?
>
> h'mmmm.

They do bikini skiing in the spring at Mammoth, and the last run of the year at some resort
(Killington?) is traditionally done naked. I've seen a picture of a boarder taking a jump with his
pants around his ankles, but I don't think that counts.

--

Pete wrote:

> The current records on skis appear to be 155 mph for men, and 150 for women.
> http://www.speedski.com/

Interesting tidbit: the fastest speed attained on a bicycle, on the flats, is 167 mph. Faster than
speed skiing, and faster than typical skydiving speeds. Obviously, the bicycle was drafting.

> Pete wrote:
>
> > The current records on skis appear to be 155 mph for men, and 150 for women.
> > http://www.speedski.com/
>
> Interesting tidbit: the fastest speed attained on a bicycle, on the flats, is 167 mph. Faster than
> speed skiing, and faster than typical skydiving speeds. Obviously, the bicycle was drafting.

You sure that's not KPH?

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible).

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:48:27 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>You sure that's not KPH?

No, MPH, by Fred Rompelberg. Drafting off of a motor vehicle at the Salt Lake Flats.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Originally posted by Curtis L . Russ
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>You sure that's not KPH?

No, MPH, by Fred Rompelberg. Drafting off of a motor vehicle at the Salt Lake Flats.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Was it a Cinzano truck he was drafting? And was he in the little ring?

I hadn't realized anyone had tried this since John Howard's
151(?) mph event.