Breaking chain for fixed gear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected]*nospam*icantfeelmylegs.com, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Peter Cole wrote:
    > >
    > > Your LBS needs a little enlightening. The load on a fixed gear chain is
    > > much less than a mountain bike chain. Chain tension is related to gear
    > > ratio.

    > I don't think this is entirely true. The torque about your rear axle is
    > related to gear ratio, but your chain couldn't care less what the rear
    > sprocket is (when considering tension anyway).
    > The tension in the top run of chain is determined only by the ratio of
    > your crank length to chainring diameter and the force applied to the pedal
    > perpendicular to the crank.

    Thanks for the correction. Of course to get a small chainring on a fixed gear,
    you'd need an impossibly small rear sprocket. That, and the maximum track
    sprocket size, pretty much sets chainring size on a fixer.

  2. cam-<< Where should one break a chain for fixed gear. My LBS advised me not to
    use
    the proprietary quick link as it's breaking strength was less than regular
    links. >><BR><BR>

    garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with the link, w/o problem.
    If you are really concerned, get a track chain, with the big beefy masterlink.,
    Like a PC-1

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Phil Brown wrote:

    > I think you mean 3/32". That's standard derailleur chain. Track chainwheels and
    > cogs take either 1/8" or 3/32".

    Absolutely right. I was never any good at fractions ;-)

  4. On 2004-04-26, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > cam-<< Where should one break a chain for fixed gear. My LBS advised me not to
    > use
    > the proprietary quick link as it's breaking strength was less than regular
    > links. >><BR><BR>
    >

    > garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with the link, w/o problem.
    > If you are really concerned, get a track chain, with the big beefy masterlink.,
    > Like a PC-1
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Thanks for the useful comments, all. You've been very helpful.

    Cheers

    Cam

  5. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > cam-<< Where should one break a chain for fixed gear. My LBS advised me not to
    > use
    > the proprietary quick link as it's breaking strength was less than regular
    > links. >><BR><BR>
    >

    > garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with the link, w/o problem.
    > If you are really concerned, get a track chain, with the big beefy masterlink.,
    > Like a PC-1
    >
    > Peter Chisholm

    I have about 1000 mile on my first fixed gear. I use a PC-1. At
    about 150 miles the powerlink came apart. I made it home and removed
    the powerlink and joined the chain with a regular link and have cycled
    ~850 miles since then with no problems.

    Note that the powerlink on the PC-1 is different from the PC-48, 58,
    59, etc. (I have used these without problems). On the PC48 it is two
    links with one pin on each link and it looks like it is one piece.
    The PC1 has one link with a pin pressed in on both sides (not one
    piece) and the other link has two slots. In my case one of those
    pressed in pins came out.

    Speaking only from my own experience.
    Tom

  6. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > B. C. Cletta wrote:
    >
    > > i'm getting good service w/ the KMC Z410(?), 8-USD. quiet unless
    > > it needs a lube. it may be a full bushing, i forget.

    > Nope, it's bushingless, unfortunately. That's what I'm using at the moment
    > (too soon to rate it). Funny, it cost me $8 Canadian.

    maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs it's bushed. (i gotta
    clean the chain one day.)
    i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet,
    NJS.
    (it's funny how i've become a big fan of quiet chains. it takes me
    a few miles to adjust to the deafening racket of a multi.)

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    B.C. Cletta wrote:
    > Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>B. C. Cletta wrote:
    >>

    >>>i'm getting good service w/ the KMC Z410(?), 8-USD. quiet unless
    >>>it needs a lube. it may be a full bushing, i forget.

    >>Nope, it's bushingless, unfortunately. That's what I'm using at the moment
    >>(too soon to rate it). Funny, it cost me $8 Canadian.

    > maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs

    What language is that?

    Greg

  8. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    >B.C. Cletta wrote:
    >> maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs it's bushed. (i gotta
    >>clean the chain one day.)
    >> i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet,
    >>NJS.

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:11:28 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >What language is that?

    It appears to be some sort of fusion of English and g.danielsese.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  9. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    wrote:

    > i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet,
    >NJS.

    It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model commonly
    called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities, but certification
    for professional Keirin use (the NJS logo) isn't among them.

    I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read about this chain
    elsewhere. I will leave for others to determine if the ebay
    entrepeneurs and other vendors that claim NJS credentials for this
    model do so out of simple cluelessness, or if they're intentionally
    practicing upon the inexperience of those whom they would entice to
    buy the chain.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

  10. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > I have about 1000 mile on my first fixed gear. I use a PC-1. At
    > about 150 miles the powerlink came apart. I made it home and removed

    Installer error!
    *duck and run*

    Just kidding ;)

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  11. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet,
    > >NJS.

    > It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model commonly
    > called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities, but certification
    > for professional Keirin use (the NJS logo) isn't among them.
    >
    > I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read about this chain
    > elsewhere. I will leave for others to determine if the ebay
    > entrepeneurs and other vendors that claim NJS credentials for this
    > model do so out of simple cluelessness, or if they're intentionally
    > practicing upon the inexperience of those whom they would entice to
    > buy the chain.

    said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will defer to your experience:
    <http://snipurl.com/612s>

    what about these? seems kinda low end.
    <http://snipurl.com/612v>

    > -------------------------------
    > John Dacey
    > Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    > Since 1983
    > Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    > http://www.businesscycles.com

  12. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 28 Apr 2004 20:03:06 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    wrote:

    >John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet,
    >> >NJS.

    >> It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model commonly
    >> called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities, but certification
    >> for professional Keirin use (the NJS logo) isn't among them.
    >>
    >> I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read about this chain
    >> elsewhere. I will leave for others to determine if the ebay
    >> entrepeneurs and other vendors that claim NJS credentials for this
    >> model do so out of simple cluelessness, or if they're intentionally
    >> practicing upon the inexperience of those whom they would entice to
    >> buy the chain.

    > said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will defer to your experience:
    ><http://snipurl.com/612s>

    The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo) appears
    neither on the packaging nor on any of the chain's links. This model
    is _not_ approved for professional keirin use.

    > what about these? seems kinda low end.
    ><http://snipurl.com/612v>

    Except for the dustcap, the pedal in the photos is a dead ringer for
    the MKS "Sylvan Track", which does not have pro keirin credentials.
    However, a closeup of the rear cage shows it to actually be a MKS
    "Unique Custom" model, whose rear cage is stamped with the NJS logo
    (upper right of cage), signifying that it does, in fact, have keirin
    certification.

    The Sylvan Track and Unique Custom models are quite good values, but
    few people will mistake their finish, bearing quality and weight with
    one of MKS' premium track pedals like the RX-1, Custom Nuevo or Royal
    Nuevo.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

  13. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 28 Apr 2004 20:03:06 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model commonly
    > >> called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities, but certification
    > >> for professional Keirin use (the NJS logo) isn't among them.
    > >>
    > >> I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read about this chain
    > >> elsewhere. I will leave for others to determine if the ebay
    > >> entrepeneurs and other vendors that claim NJS credentials for this
    > >> model do so out of simple cluelessness, or if they're intentionally
    > >> practicing upon the inexperience of those whom they would entice to
    > >> buy the chain.

    > > said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will defer to your experience:
    > ><http://snipurl.com/612s>

    > The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo) appears
    > neither on the packaging nor on any of the chain's links. This model
    > is _not_ approved for professional keirin use.

    sorry, guess i should have noted that mid photo far right, one (&
    only one) link has what looks like the NJS circle(?).

    > > what about these? seems kinda low end.
    > ><http://snipurl.com/612v>

    > Except for the dustcap, the pedal in the photos is a dead ringer for
    > the MKS "Sylvan Track", which does not have pro keirin credentials.
    > However, a closeup of the rear cage shows it to actually be a MKS
    > "Unique Custom" model, whose rear cage is stamped with the NJS logo
    > (upper right of cage), signifying that it does, in fact, have keirin
    > certification.
    >
    > The Sylvan Track and Unique Custom models are quite good values, but
    > few people will mistake their finish, bearing quality and weight with
    > one of MKS' premium track pedals like the RX-1, Custom Nuevo or Royal
    > Nuevo.

    the Sylvan are OK but i think the spindle bends a little too
    easily. the Unique Custom might address this issue.

    > -------------------------------
    > John Dacey
    > Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    > Since 1983
    > Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    > http://www.businesscycles.com

  14. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 29 Apr 2004 21:02:19 -0700, bc_[email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
    wrote:

    >> > said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will defer to your experience:
    >> ><http://snipurl.com/612s>

    >> The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo) appears
    >> neither on the packaging nor on any of the chain's links. This model
    >> is _not_ approved for professional keirin use.

    > sorry, guess i should have noted that mid photo far right, one (&
    >only one) link has what looks like the NJS circle(?).

    That's a JIS symbol, seen here on the left side of the wrench flat on
    the axle of a MKS Custom Unique pedal in this picture:
    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/jis3.jpg (43.2k file
    size)

    The NJS logo is seen at the right of the same pedal's rear cage plate
    here:
    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/nis_njs.jpg (33.5k file
    size)

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    http://www.businesscycles.com
    Now in our twenty-first year.
    Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online
    -------------------------------

  15. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    John Dacey wrote:

    > That's a JIS symbol, seen here on the left side of the wrench flat on
    > the axle of a MKS Custom Unique pedal in this picture:
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/jis3.jpg (43.2k file
    > size)
    >
    > The NJS logo is seen at the right of the same pedal's rear cage plate
    > here:
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/nis_njs.jpg (33.5k file
    > size)

    Nice photos. Here's another: