advised me not to use the proprietary quick link as it's
breaking strength was less than regular links. >><BR><BR>

garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with the
link, w/o problem. If you are really concerned, get a track
chain, with the big beefy masterlink., Like a PC-1

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Phil Brown wrote:

> I think you mean 3/32". That's standard derailleur chain.
> Track chainwheels and cogs take either 1/8" or 3/32".

Absolutely right. I was never any good at fractions ;-)

On 2004-04-26, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> cam-<< Where should one break a chain for fixed gear. My
> LBS advised me not to use the proprietary quick link as
> it's breaking strength was less than regular links.
> >><BR><BR>
>

> garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with
> the link, w/o problem. If you are really concerned, get a
> track chain, with the big beefy masterlink., Like a PC-1
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thanks for the useful comments, all. You've been very
helpful.

Cheers

Cam

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> cam-<< Where should one break a chain for fixed gear. My
> LBS advised me not to use the proprietary quick link as
> it's breaking strength was less than regular links.
> >><BR><BR>
>

> garbage-I have used a PC-48 for years on my fixie, with
> the link, w/o problem. If you are really concerned, get a
> track chain, with the big beefy masterlink., Like a PC-1
>
> Peter Chisholm

I have about 1000 mile on my first fixed gear. I use a
PC-1. At about 150 miles the powerlink came apart. I made
it home and removed the powerlink and joined the chain
with a regular link and have cycled ~850 miles since then
with no problems.

Note that the powerlink on the PC-1 is different from the
PC-48, 58, 59, etc. (I have used these without problems).
On the PC48 it is two links with one pin on each link and
it looks like it is one piece. The PC1 has one link with a
pin pressed in on both sides (not one piece) and the other
link has two slots. In my case one of those pressed in
pins came out.

Speaking only from my own experience. Tom

Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> B. C. Cletta wrote:
>
> > i'm getting good service w/ the KMC Z410(?), 8-USD.
> > quiet unless it needs a lube. it may be a full bushing,
> > i forget.
>
> Nope, it's bushingless, unfortunately. That's what I'm
> using at the moment (too soon to rate it). Funny, it cost
> me $8 Canadian.

maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs it's bushed. (i
gotta clean the chain one day.) i know people who swear
by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet, NJS. (it's funny
how i've become a big fan of quiet chains. it takes me a
few miles to adjust to the deafening racket of a multi.)

B.C. Cletta wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>B. C. Cletta wrote:
>>

>>>i'm getting good service w/ the KMC Z410(?), 8-USD. quiet
>>>unless it needs a lube. it may be a full bushing, i
>>>forget.
>>
>>Nope, it's bushingless, unfortunately. That's what I'm
>>using at the moment (too soon to rate it). Funny, it cost
>>me $8 Canadian.
>

> maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs

What language is that?

Greg

>B.C. Cletta wrote:
>> maybe i'm using a '410H', KMC's w-pg sezs it's bushed.
>> (i gotta clean the chain one day.) i know people who
>> swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD, bushed, quiet, NJS.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:11:28 GMT, "G.T."
<[email protected]> wrote:
>What language is that?

It appears to be some sort of fusion of English and
g.danielsese.
--
Rick Onanian

On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
wrote:

> i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD,
> bushed, quiet, NJS.

It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model
commonly called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities,
but certification for professional Keirin use (the NJS logo)
isn't among them.

I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read about
this chain elsewhere. I will leave for others to determine
if the ebay entrepeneurs and other vendors that claim NJS
credentials for this model do so out of simple cluelessness,
or if they're intentionally practicing upon the inexperience
of those whom they would entice to buy the chain.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

> I have about 1000 mile on my first fixed gear. I use a PC-
> 1. At about 150 miles the powerlink came apart. I made it
> home and removed

Installer error! *duck and run*

Just kidding ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C.
> Cletta) wrote:
>
> > i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD,
> > bushed, quiet, NJS.
>
> It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain model
> commonly called "Eco" to have some satisfactory qualities,
> but certification for professional Keirin use (the NJS
> logo) isn't among them.
>
> I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read
> about this chain elsewhere. I will leave for others to
> determine if the ebay entrepeneurs and other vendors that
> claim NJS credentials for this model do so out of simple
> cluelessness, or if they're intentionally practicing upon
> the inexperience of those whom they would entice to buy
> the chain.

said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will
defer to your experience: <http://snipurl.com/612s>

what about these? seems kinda low end.
<http://snipurl.com/612v>

> -------------------------------
> John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
> catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
> http://www.businesscycles.com

On 28 Apr 2004 20:03:06 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
wrote:

>John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 26 Apr 2004 17:51:49 -0700, [email protected] (B.C.
>> Cletta) wrote:
>>
>> > i know people who swear by the IZUMI Eco, 20-USD,
>> > bushed, quiet, NJS.
>>
>> It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain
>> model commonly called "Eco" to have some satisfactory
>> qualities, but certification for professional Keirin use
>> (the NJS logo) isn't among them.
>>
>> I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read
>> about this chain elsewhere. I will leave for others to
>> determine if the ebay entrepeneurs and other vendors that
>> claim NJS credentials for this model do so out of simple
>> cluelessness, or if they're intentionally practicing upon
>> the inexperience of those whom they would entice to buy
>> the chain.
>
> said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will
> defer to your experience: <http://snipurl.com/612s>

The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo)
appears neither on the packaging nor on any of the chain's
links. This model is _not_ approved for professional
keirin use.

> what about these? seems kinda low end.
> <http://snipurl.com/612v>

Except for the dustcap, the pedal in the photos is a dead
ringer for the MKS "Sylvan Track", which does not have pro
keirin credentials. However, a closeup of the rear cage
shows it to actually be a MKS "Unique Custom" model, whose
rear cage is stamped with the NJS logo (upper right of
cage), signifying that it does, in fact, have keirin
certification.

The Sylvan Track and Unique Custom models are quite good
values, but few people will mistake their finish, bearing
quality and weight with one of MKS' premium track pedals
like the RX-1, Custom Nuevo or Royal Nuevo.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 28 Apr 2004 20:03:06 -0700, [email protected] (B.C.
> Cletta) wrote:
>
> >John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> It may be that some people will find the Izumi chain
> >> model commonly called "Eco" to have some satisfactory
> >> qualities, but certification for professional Keirin
> >> use (the NJS logo) isn't among them.
> >>
> >> I assume you're innocently repeating what you've read
> >> about this chain elsewhere. I will leave for others to
> >> determine if the ebay entrepeneurs and other vendors
> >> that claim NJS credentials for this model do so out of
> >> simple cluelessness, or if they're intentionally
> >> practicing upon the inexperience of those whom they
> >> would entice to buy the chain.
> >
> > said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will
> > defer to your experience: <http://snipurl.com/612s>
>
> The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo)
> appears neither on the packaging nor on any of the chain's
> links. This model is _not_ approved for professional
> keirin use.

sorry, guess i should have noted that mid photo far
right, one (& only one) link has what looks like the NJS
circle(?).

> > what about these? seems kinda low end.
> > <http://snipurl.com/612v>
>
> Except for the dustcap, the pedal in the photos is a dead
> ringer for the MKS "Sylvan Track", which does not have pro
> keirin credentials. However, a closeup of the rear cage
> shows it to actually be a MKS "Unique Custom" model, whose
> rear cage is stamped with the NJS logo (upper right of
> cage), signifying that it does, in fact, have keirin
> certification.
>
> The Sylvan Track and Unique Custom models are quite good
> values, but few people will mistake their finish, bearing
> quality and weight with one of MKS' premium track pedals
> like the RX-1, Custom Nuevo or Royal Nuevo.

the Sylvan are OK but i think the spindle bends a little
too easily. the Unique Custom might address this issue.

> -------------------------------
> John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
> catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
> http://www.businesscycles.com

On 29 Apr 2004 21:02:19 -0700, [email protected] (B.C. Cletta)
wrote:

>> > said to be an "Eco" & he got the pic right but i will
>> > defer to your experience: <http://snipurl.com/612s>
>>
>> The imprimatur signifying keirin certification (NJS logo)
>> appears neither on the packaging nor on any of the
>> chain's links. This model is _not_ approved for
>> professional keirin use.
>
> sorry, guess i should have noted that mid photo far
> right, one (& only one) link has what looks like the NJS
> circle(?).

That's a JIS symbol, seen here on the left side of the
wrench flat on the axle of a MKS Custom Unique pedal in this
picture: http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/jis3.jpg
(43.2k file size)

The NJS logo is seen at the right of the same pedal's rear
cage plate here:
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/nis_njs.jpg (33.5k
file size)

-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com Now in our twenty-first year.
Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online
-------------------------------

John Dacey wrote:

> That's a JIS symbol, seen here on the left side of the
> wrench flat on the axle of a MKS Custom Unique pedal in
> this picture:
> http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/jis3.jpg (43.2k
> file size)
>
> The NJS logo is seen at the right of the same pedal's rear
> cage plate here:
> http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/nis_njs.jpg (33.5k
> file size)

Nice photos. Here's another: