BREAKING NEWS: ASTANA & HIGH ROAD BANNED FROM GIRO !!!!

Crankyfeet said:
And I am not defending Astana or Stapleton. And I agree that a your pro tour full of Slipstreams is where we need to end up. I am just concerned that cycling has to walk a tightrope to get there, and a continuation of everyone trying to outhurt each other, may cause damage that makes it difficult to recover from. Its not about covering things up. The omerta should be broken. The truth should come out. But future sponsors (and current for that matter) are always weighing up risks, and they will see risk from this type of measure that goes beyond their control. Even Slipstream carries risk that one of their "clean" riders is not busted in a Vienna lab style case, where the doping was unbeknownst to them.

Really the problem here occurs from the fact that the initial investigation was covered up. It is this slow bleed of revelation/cover-up that makes it risky. Get the friggin SWAT team in there and blow this thing wide open. Doctors, DS's, Labs, everything. Unfortunately... UCI has too much to be scared of, if everything is revealed IMO.
I didn't imply in my post that you were defending Astana or Stapleton. Unfortunately, there is a lot of politics involved, and cycling is taking the brunt of it at the expense of sparing other sports. But if all teams were to implement a good transparent anti-doping program, the question can change from "did the rider dope x years ago" to "is the rider doping today". OP will continue to haunt for some time, but if tainted riders are in a good testing regime that shows them to be clean, maybe there will be a better case to let them ride?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHA AHAHA AHAHA AHAHAHA, oh christ this is the funniest thing to happen in a long while.

You know why they are doing it, it is because Astana are cheats, Bruyneel is a cheat, Discovery were cheats, Armstrong was a cheat, Contador is a cheat.

I love this, enough is enough, stands are being taken and casualties occuring, yes they are all as guilty as each other but you can't ban everyone just those big enough to send shockwaves.

It will take a couple of years but I hope and pray cycling is on the road to recovery and can be seen as an example fo taking sports past doping.

TheDarkLord said:
I like this statement:

"We don't see the logic of this decision. I don't believe there is another team which practises as much internal anti-doping control as we do." :rolleyes:

If he takes away the "anti-" and "control", maybe he is accurate? ;) :p
No I think "anti-doping" should be perhaps replaced by "anti-testing positive". Gotta give them some credit.

Crankyfeet said:
So what's the story for why Credit Agricole and Bouygues Telecom were left out?
What about Acqua Sapone? Garzelli won stages last year and he is a former winner.

Maybe after dissing Cantadore' team, RCS did not want to upset the Spanish more by not inviting Euskatel; so a French team got the chop. Maybe the French teams told the RCS they did not want to ride the Giro.

One thing that may have hurt High Road is that Aldag dissed the Giro by saying that if they sent Rogers and Gerdemann then they might not finish. The team's objective is the Tour and the Giro's mountains were too hard.

Bro Deal said:
One thing that may have hurt High Road is that Aldag dissed the Giro by saying that if they sent Rogers and Gerdemann then they might not finish. The team's objective is the Tour and the Giro's mountains were too hard.
Yeah..It's hard to know what goes on behind the scenes. It makes sense that RCS would find out first if teams were going to accept the invitation before sending them out. But Team High Road wouldn't appreciate speculation that they weren't invited for doping reasons... if it wasn't the case.

Your Aldag-dissing-the-Giro seems the most plausible explanation. These promoters are forced to wield the only power of retaliation and influence that they have really... which is the invite list.

Bro Deal said:
What about Acqua Sapone? Garzelli won stages last year and he is a former winner.

Maybe after dissing Cantadore' team, RCS did not want to upset the Spanish more by not inviting Euskatel; so a French team got the chop. Maybe the French teams told the RCS they did not want to ride the Giro.
From what I've read, CA is extremely disappointed about this. No much out of Bouygues, so they probably are happy not to go.

Still very surprised by Aqua & Sappone - wonder what happened there.

I don't think this had anything to do with doping, come on DiLuca is still going. RCS is just taking care of 'old' hurts now that they have the power back from the UCI.

cyclingheroes said:
but LPR, the new Ceramiche Panaria whatever their name and godawful jersey, Selle Italia new name, all those teams, Barloworld... Tinkoff

Why invite them. Come on, its a big joke. They just wanted to invite the domestic teams.

Someone at Aqua Sapone must have ****** off the Giro organisers. Or Garzelli badmouthed them.

thunder said:
but LPR, the new Ceramiche Panaria whatever their name and godawful jersey, Selle Italia new name, all those teams, Barloworld... Tinkoff

Why invite them. Come on, its a big joke. They just wanted to invite the domestic teams.

Someone at Aqua Sapone must have ****** off the Giro organisers. Or Garzelli badmouthed them.
Or he tried to bang Zomegnan's daughter who was a podium girl.:confused:

It's a tuff call, I mean these riders should be inocent until proven otherwise, however there is a large cloud over some of these riders and there teams, maybe they should be banned from the larger races. There needs to be a major clean up in the sport otherwise the sport will decline. People say it's unfair for sponsors, well I think some of these sponsors should and have the inside information to choose weather to take this risk. The sport can never be 100% clean as science in medicine and controls is reactive rather than proactive ( how can you create a test for a drug that does not yet exist ). Maybe freeze everyones dna to use in further tests ( I know they do this) should be done at all times. A drug free sport would be great and I do believe some are innocent, but perhaps is never possible. But there is a great room for improvement.

Riders with half a brain would never sign a contract with a team under suspicion, no matter how lucrative a deal ( not if they cared about the sport ). If these teams are banned from the tdf maybe we might see a fairer race. And a more deserved winner!!!!

I blame the international zionist jewish conspiracy for Astanas exclusion.

Borat.

It's all spelt out in the book 'Protocols of the Elders of Zion'