**** Breaking News: Hamilton Tested Positive? ***

davidbod said:
Hopefully whatever the final outcome is the officials will get it right and there won't be any lingering doubts one way or the other. It is curious though that it is taking such a long time, and I too agree that there must be something that has raised doubt enough to keep the hearing open. A month seems like a long time when your talking about what should be concrete scientific results.

Absolutely agree. And I think that the process has been so damn contaminated now that no one will ever know one way or the other. Personally, I'm willing to give Hamilton the benefit of the doubt, based soley on personal ethics considerations, until someone can logically and soundly convince me of his guilt based on evidentuary considerations. Note: this is not an attempt to start up another flame war. Others are entitled to their diverse opinions on the matter.

I agree that the length of time speaks to the fact that this is NOT an easy test to interpret. The Olympic doping people couldn't make up their mind ...first he's clean, freeze the B sample; ooooooops, another inspector says it's a mixed population, let's put a big asterik next to the gold medal that will last forever.

Phonak hired 5 experts to review the matter, two thought the test was right; two thought there were problems with, the 5th guy couldn't make up his mind. Might be a clue that this is a problem child test. Works brilliantly when there is no false positive consequences but when you attach sanctions for a positive to a test where no one has determined the false positive rate...well, it just plain stinks.

Brunswick_kate said:
Your guess as good as the rest of the world's. The bottle neck is that while the hearing is over (ie testimony wrapped up, etc) for over a month now, the USADA has not closed the hearing officially. When they do, they have 10 days to post their verdict. Until they do, Hamilton is in limbo.

My only guess ( and it's TOTAL guess) is that the panel has questions of the test processes and subsequent results and is doing their own independent examination of it. What I'm very sure of is that if this was an open and shut or ohhhhhhhh so very simple test like some have contended it is (it isn't), the verdict would have been rendered by now.

Yeap, I think so too!

Can someone clarify just who has authority over what? Having been found guilty I thought the national bodies passed punitive judgements. If WADA and the UCI support the blood doping test what authority has the USADA to question this? Why is USADA involved at all? If a rider wishes to question the reliability of a test shouldn't another body be involved, such as CAS?

GuyStevens said:
Can someone clarify just who has authority over what? Having been found guilty I thought the national bodies passed punitive judgements. If WADA and the UCI support the blood doping test what authority has the USADA to question this? Why is USADA involved at all? If a rider wishes to question the reliability of a test shouldn't another body be involved, such as CAS?

The process should be:
- Positive doping test
- Positive B sample
- Disciplinary hearing and sanctioning by the cyclists' controlling body - in this case USCF.
- Appeal to CAS if there is doubt about the test or validity of the sanction given.

This is the process that David Millar followed and Hamilton is effectively pre-empting the visit to CAS by present evidence to invalidate the test process at the national level rather than waiting to have a disciplinary hearing then moving on to a CAS appeal.

linnega said:
The process should be:
- Positive doping test
- Positive B sample
- Disciplinary hearing and sanctioning by the cyclists' controlling body - in this case USCF.
- Appeal to CAS if there is doubt about the test or validity of the sanction given.

This is the process that David Millar followed and Hamilton is effectively pre-empting the visit to CAS by present evidence to invalidate the test process at the national level rather than waiting to have a disciplinary hearing then moving on to a CAS appeal.

CAS it is then....

Whatever happened to Mr. Hamilton?
The last thing I've read he was deeply involved with his foundation. Any new development on his case?????

Yeah.

He is on appeal.

He is looking to pull a Mark French. (Total victory!)

It is a 50/50 chance.

It all depends if the right telephone calls get made to the right people. Nobody cares about the science.

Look for Tyler to be back. He has no other options yet.

Otherwise, he can always get a real job outside the industry.

Look at BALCO--despite massive evidence, witnesses, medical charts, paid bills, client invoices and e-mails it all gets thrown out for a minor plea.

Doping suspensions hurt the business model.

No harm, no foul. This is why crime pays and doping is widespread. No boost w/o the juice.

mareblu said:
Whatever happened to Mr. Hamilton?
The last thing I've read he was deeply involved with his foundation. Any new development on his case?????

Flyer said:
Yeah.

He is on appeal.

He is looking to pull a Mark French. (Total victory!)

It is a 50/50 chance.

It all depends if the right telephone calls get made to the right people. Nobody cares about the science.

Look for Tyler to be back. He has no other options yet.

Otherwise, he can always get a real job outside the industry.

Look at BALCO--despite massive evidence, witnesses, medical charts, paid bills, client invoices and e-mails it all gets thrown out for a minor plea.

Doping suspensions hurt the business model.

No harm, no foul. This is why crime pays and doping is widespread. No boost w/o the juice.

thank you for answering me.

ciao