Breaking news: Lance's House visited by thieves too

kennf said:
Sven is listed as a registered member of Decainio's "army" on Stolen Underground. Not that that really means anything.
I interviewed Sven about a half dozen times back in the day. He came out of the Broadmark system of Seattle. They've produced some pretty heavy hitters over the years. Cam Evens, Tyler Farrar, Tom Peterson.

Sven was one of their first pro-level riders. He came up with two others. One of lesser talent and one of greater talent. The three were very close. The one of lesser talent still races professional in the US.

Sven and the rider of greater talent quit at roughly the same time. It was implied that they did so because doping was rampant in the US peloton and because doping was encouraged on the team they raced for: Prime Aliance. It should be noted that Vaughters once raced for this team too. I believe this is where Sven gets his reputation as a non-doper: from quiting the sport rather than doping. I think that reputation has stuck with him and for a long time was deserved. I believe he garnered many results absolutely clean.

So, let me get this out of the way. Sven is an very nice person. I've interviewed a shitload of jackasses involed with this sport over the years. He is not one of them. Polite. Thoughtful. His parents raised him right.

However, I think he's doping. At the end of the day I think he looked at David Z, Chris VV, and the like. Looked at the way they were living and considered the fact the he owned just about nothing and decided to cash in. I think he has equal if not more talent than those guys. I do not blame him for doping.

Interesting sidebar: The rider who most considered the more talented of the three recently came out of retirement shortly after Tuft's silver at worlds. I can't help but believe that he too has seen the light on this issue.

helmutRoole2 said:
I interviewed Sven about a half dozen times back in the day. He came out of the Broadmark system of Seattle. They've produced some pretty heavy hitters over the years. Cam Evens, Tyler Farrar, Tom Peterson.

Sven was one of their first pro-level riders. He came up with two others. One of lesser talent and one of greater talent. The three were very close. The one of lesser talent still races professional in the US.

Sven and the rider of greater talent quit at roughly the same time. It was implied that they did so because doping was rampant in the US peloton and because doping was encouraged on the team they raced for: Prime Aliance. It should be noted that Vaughters once raced for this team too. I believe this is where Sven gets his reputation as a non-doper: from quiting the sport rather than doping. I think that reputation has stuck with him and for a long time was deserved. I believe he garnered many results absolutely clean.

So, let me get this out of the way. Sven is an very nice person. I've interviewed a shitload of jackasses involed with this sport over the years. He is not one of them. Polite. Thoughtful. His parents raised him right.

However, I think he's doping. At the end of the day I think he looked at David Z, Chris VV, and the like. Looked at the way they were living and considered the fact the he owned just about nothing and decided to cash in. I think he has equal if not more talent than those guys. I do not blame him for doping.

Interesting sidebar: The rider who most considered the more talented of the three recently came out of retirement shortly after Tuft's silver at worlds. I can't help but believe that he too has seen the light on this issue.
fff