Breaking News - Pedallys Return!!!

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Hopefully the Cycling Gods will smile on many brokenhearted cyclists this week, read on!

Please send this info on to anyone you know who has had a beloved pedally stolen in Melbourne.

Bike Thief's end unlocks giant stash
Page 10 - Melb Yarra Leader May 31

City Cyclists have the chance to claim back hundreds of stolen bikes.

Police recovered the bikes while investigating the death of a 64-year-old man. He died of head injuries in February after falling off a stolen bike in the CBD.

Police checked the man's home in Geelong West and found a stash of 487 bicycles, plus hundreds of bike frames, wheels, lights, helmets and other parts, worth an estimated $250,000.

They believed the man had been stealing bikes since 1994 from the Melbourne CBD and Geelong.

Photos of the stolen bikes will be displayed in the Victorian Police Centre foyer, 637 Flinders, on Thursday and Friday (June 3 & 4), 10am to 6pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5pm.

Proof of ownership will be required to claim bicycles.

Excellent!!!

I seem to remember misplacing a Pinarello Dogma not so long ago!
Hope the cops have been considerate enough to straighten the forks

Originally posted by Shane Stanley
In article <[email protected]>,
"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not breaking news.

Actually, the bit about the police display _is_
breaking news.

Shane Stanley

Ah, Alan has a short memory,
Post send to CF/aus.bike on 19/3,
<http://tinyurl.com/2ggvz>

or longer version,
From Geelong Advertiser - Death leads to 1000-bike haul
<http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102236>

Can think of dozens of bike folk who will heading down to the Police HQ this week, good luck! :D :D

>Originally posted by cfsmtb
>Photos of the stolen bikes will be displayed in the Victorian >Police Centre foyer, 637 Flinders, on Thursday and Friday
>(June 3 & 4), 10am to 6pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 9am
>to 5pm.

Bags anything titanium! or nice steel! or carbon! or alu! ;)

>Proof of ownership will be required to claim bicycles.

Ahh ****!

"and it was over... before it began" - K.B. Wilson

hippy

More from the Geelong Advertiser, found the paperwork/photos tonight in (hopeful) anticipation, but prepared to be philosophical.....

Bike push for owners
Wednesday, June 2,JENNY SHAND

A PHOTO display of more than 400 bikes found crammed in a Geelong West home will go on public view in Melbourne from tomorrow in a police push to find their owners.
Geelong police are organising the four-day display in the foyer of Melbourne City Police Station in Flinders Street.

The viewing, which ends Sunday, comes less that a month after a similar event in Geelong that helped police double the number of confirmed owners for the stolen bicycles.

Police found 435 bikes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in the home of deceased man Ken James in March. Police know Mr James bought 34 of the bikes. They also know others were stolen.

Constable Chris White said police had found owners of 30 bikes from the haul so far. They had another 40 people who were ``80 per cent'' confirmed as owners.

``A lot of that is down to the Geelong viewing,'' Const White said yesterday.

Police believe the majority of the bikes were stolen in Melbourne, with the remainder sourced from Geelong.

``I'm hopeful we'll get another 100 confirmed owners (from the Melbourne viewing),'' Const White said.

``And if people missed the viewing in Geelong, most definitely go up there and have a look and see if it's yours. But if you already viewed the bikes in Geelong, there's no use travelling up there.''

Another story in today's Age

Me thinks me is wandering down there at lunchtime

wonder if that bike i 'lost' at prahran central back in 1990 will be there...

or that Pinarello Dogma, or Cannondale Six13, or that ...

Originally posted by flyingdutch

Me thinks me is wandering down there at lunchtime

Been there and done that.
A big queue of people. the guy in front of me listed 5 bikes he had lost (obviously subscribed to the theory of Karma, not Kryptonite!)

2 big folders full of colour pics.
2 officers manning the desk, not really having a clue what they were dealing with...
"I have lost a Shogun"
"Yeah, but want brand? mtb, racer or hybrid?"
Guess they'll have a crash course in bikeology

courier looking thru seemed to be setting up some kinda scam with his mates on the 2-way as to what was available.

Apparently the bikes wil lget passed onto a kids charity (yeah) or an auction house in Dandenong (adv in Age, he said)

Most of the stuff was your everyday treddly you see locked up to posts around town.
Lots of shoguns, Giants, Apollos. Didnt spot any exotica but there was a Klein listed and some Giant roadbikes

"courier looking thru seemed to be setting up some kinda scam with his mates on the 2-way as to what was available."

Not that i am about to paint all couriers with the wrong brush here but i sincerely hope that the above mentioned scam doesnt come to fruition.
I would be very disappointed to hear a fellow cyclist profiteering from the loss of one's bike.
Hmm

[...]

You were probably in the queue ahead of me!
I didn't find my bike & neither did a mate who accompanied me.
Gotta say the thief had no taste in bikes or wasn't fussy what he stole.

Originally posted by coowoowoo

Not that i am about to paint all couriers with the wrong brush here but i sincerely hope that the above mentioned scam doesnt come to fruition.
I would be very disappointed to hear a fellow cyclist profiteering from the loss of one's bike.
Hmm

At least the bike would be going to a good home and put to good use!
The other dude who had lost 5 bikes is either very unfortunate or deserves to have his bike ridden into the ground by the 'hardest working people' in showbiz!

Originally posted by flyingdutch
At least the bike would be going to a good home and put to good use!
The other dude who had lost 5 bikes is either very unfortunate or deserves to have his bike ridden into the ground by the 'hardest working people' in showbiz!

Well if he had lost five bikes i would be saying to him..
buy a lock
buy a good lock
lock through the frame not the front quick release wheel
or
lastly .. get some good insurance.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:00:00 +0000, hippy wrote:

>>Originally posted by cfsmtb Photos of the stolen bikes
>>will be displayed in the Victorian >Police Centre foyer,
>>637 Flinders, on Thursday and Friday (June 3 & 4), 10am to
>>6pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5pm.
>
> Bags anything titanium! or nice steel! or carbon! or alu!
> ;)
>
>>Proof of ownership will be required to claim bicycles.
>
> Ahh ****!

But the cops will auction off anything that's not claimed
right? You'll have to keep your eye out for when it's on.

IIRC up here there's one a year.

-kt