Breaking rear spokes

7

737ng

Guest
I have a Giant Farrago which is just over a year old. It has not seen
a lot of use as I have been overseas for 2 months.

But now I am breaking spokes in the rear wheel, 2 in the last few
rides. They appear to be caused by corrosion pits.

Has any one had similar experiences? Although the 1 year warranty has
just expired, what chance Giant remedying this problem?

Could this corrosion be caused by the dissimilar metals - spoke to rim?

737ng wrote:

> I have a Giant Farrago which is just over a year old. It has not seen
> a lot of use as I have been overseas for 2 months.
>
> But now I am breaking spokes in the rear wheel, 2 in the last few
> rides. They appear to be caused by corrosion pits.
>
> Has any one had similar experiences? Although the 1 year warranty has
> just expired, what chance Giant remedying this problem?
>
> Could this corrosion be caused by the dissimilar metals - spoke to rim?

Hi, I had a very similar experience on my Diamondback road bike. When it
was about twelve months old the rear wheel broke a total of four spokes
over a month or so. Each spoke broke at the elbow, and I eventually put it
down to inadequately tensioned spokes and quick'n'nasty wheel building.
The front wheel spokes were also too loose, and made pinging noises when
going around some corners until I re-tensioned them.

Now, when riding I carry a spoke spanner and a spare spoke, along with my
puncture repair kit and spare tube. Nothing has broken over the last few
months, so carrying these things seems to have fixed the spoke problem!

Cheers,

Vince

737ng wrote:
> I have a Giant Farrago which is just over a year old. It has not seen
> a lot of use as I have been overseas for 2 months.
>
> But now I am breaking spokes in the rear wheel, 2 in the last few
> rides. They appear to be caused by corrosion pits.
>
> Has any one had similar experiences? Although the 1 year warranty has
> just expired, what chance Giant remedying this problem?
>
> Could this corrosion be caused by the dissimilar metals - spoke to rim?

Common problem with relatively cheap bikes. Get the rear wheel re-spoked
with stainless steel spokes and you won't have any further problems.
That's what I did nine years ago, haven't twanged a spoke since.

"ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 737ng wrote:
>> I have a Giant Farrago which is just over a year old.

> Common problem with relatively cheap bikes. Get the rear wheel re-spoked
> with stainless steel spokes and you won't have any further problems.
> That's what I did nine years ago, haven't twanged a spoke since.

Farragos already have stainless spokes. I had the same problem with a Giant
Sedona for a while there until I tightened the spokes up under advice from
this group. Been good as gold ever since.

737ng wrote:
> I have a Giant Farrago which is just over a year old. It has not seen
> a lot of use as I have been overseas for 2 months.
>
> But now I am breaking spokes in the rear wheel, 2 in the last few
> rides. They appear to be caused by corrosion pits.
>
> Has any one had similar experiences? Although the 1 year warranty has
> just expired, what chance Giant remedying this problem?
>
> Could this corrosion be caused by the dissimilar metals - spoke to rim?

funny you mention that, I took my Mongoose Tyax in for a check up, had
it for 8months, black rims, black stainless spokes, disk brakes, I
noticed a wobble in the front rim, I did check for broken spokes but
didn't see one, anyway the bike mechanic found one that had just broken
and after checking both wheels found other spokes that will break
eventually, he said it was caused by impurities in the stainless spokes,
maybe a bad batch, he said it doesn't happen to every bike, and even on
my bike some spokes were bad with corrosion pits, while others were fine.

they respoked both wheels with new spokes, and it was still covered
under warrantee :)

I should point out the bike is used to go to the local shops during the
week and goes on longer runs over the weekend, I use slicks instead of
knobbies so I don't this bike for bush bashing single tracks, it wasn't
hard use that broke the spoke.