Breaking the good news?

bomba wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>
>> grow up and deal with things that cost money in a responsible, open, communicative manner?
>
> Do what? How? With a what-me-what?
>
> You do realise that you're talking to a bloke and you've just mentioned growing up, responsibility
> and open communication. Quite frankly, I'd not be surprised if he's imploded :)

Men can do this quite well if they get a clue oops I mean choose to grow up and act like an adult.

> Time I stuck my 0.02 Euro in...
>
> I think you're fortunate Penny, in that your hubby is the outdoorsy-type who shares many of your
> passions (shut it, Rimmer :) and understands why you have to spend significant money on them.

Damn straight - First year we were together he took me alpine skiing and said, if you want to be
with me you have to learn to ski! And he bought me my first m-bike too. then again, I have no use
for 300 pairs of color coordinated shoes or Martha Stupid decorator accents or some of those othe
black holes of money suck that some women choose. Fabric tho is another story.

> Many relationships aren't like this. I've had girlfriends who really can't grasp the concept of
> spending that much cash on bikes, and I think this is where the conflict point is. A lot of the
> time, it doesn't matter if the cash is spare, the SO has numerous 'better' plans for spending
> the money.

you really need to make better choices in women. ;-)

> You can argue that you shouldn't be with somebody who doesn't understand why you have to spend
> that much on your hobbies, but at the end of the day, some people are ugly and can't be choosy :)

If you'd only do something with your hair...

<ducks>

Peneny

I like the best, just like you honey.

D'

Penny S. wrote:

>>>grow up and deal with things that cost money in a responsible, open, communicative manner?
>>
>>Do what? How? With a what-me-what?
>>
>>You do realise that you're talking to a bloke and you've just mentioned growing up, responsibility
>>and open communication. Quite frankly, I'd not be surprised if he's imploded :)
>

> Men can do this quite well if they get a clue oops I mean choose to grow up and act like an adult.

There you go again, talking in riddles...

>>Time I stuck my 0.02 Euro in...
>>
>>I think you're fortunate Penny, in that your hubby is the outdoorsy-type who shares many of your
>>passions (shut it, Rimmer :) and understands why you have to spend significant money on them.
>

> Damn straight - First year we were together he took me alpine skiing and said, if you want to be
> with me you have to learn to ski! And he bought me my first m-bike too. then again, I have no use
> for 300 pairs of color coordinated shoes or Martha Stupid decorator accents or some of those othe
> black holes of money suck that some women choose. Fabric tho is another story.

I took the girlfriend skiing for the first time in January, and we're going mountain biking in the
Massif Central (France) this summer. At some point I'll work on decimating her shoe museum...

>>Many relationships aren't like this. I've had girlfriends who really can't grasp the concept of
>>spending that much cash on bikes, and I think this is where the conflict point is. A lot of the
>>time, it doesn't matter if the cash is spare, the SO has numerous 'better' plans for spending
>>the money.
>

> you really need to make better choices in women. ;-)

Well, I'm doing ok at the moment ;)

>>You can argue that you shouldn't be with somebody who doesn't understand why you have to spend
>>that much on your hobbies, but at the end of the day, some people are ugly and can't be choosy :)
>

> If you'd only do something with your hair...

Meeeeeow! Actually, I shaved it all off at the weekend.

> Peneny

Jononony

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I'm wanting to spend "a lot" of money on a new bike and I was wondering if anyone has any useful
> > tips or advice on how to get this past the tother half.

> A long time ago we got separate joint checking accounts. Her money became her money and my money
> became my money. I don't give her guff for spending it on what she wants and she doesn't me. Now
> if I can just get the IRS to see it that way!!!!

Separate checking accounts is a great marrige saver. Even better is being able to afford stuff you
are buying. I see too many people who are willing to spend "a lot" of money on something when they
already owe for something they bought last month... year... whatever.

I call it better living through a debt free lifestyle.h

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Penny S. wrote:
> John G wrote:
>>How about I quit smoking and save the $3.00 per pack per day untillI can afford a really
>>nice bike.
> you could quit drinking beer and the funds would add up a lot sooner.

Harpoon or Redhook 12 pack "sampler packs" (3) samples of 4 different beers runs me $9.99..... I
allow myslef 1, MAYBE 2 beers a night. Even @ 2 beers a night we are only talking $2.40 a day. Still
WAY cheaper, and MUCH better for you!

RE/
>I'm wanting to spend "a lot" of money on a new bike and I was wondering if anyone has any useful
>tips or advice on how to get this past the tother half.

One technique, learned in windsurfing: accumulate a pile of related stuff in the garage that's big
enough so that nobody notices an addition.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

RE/
>I was hoping for a few handy tips for broaching the subject.

"I don't drink (much...), I don't smoke, I eat my lunches out of a paper bag...and we're all gonna
die in X years...." ?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John G wrote:
> > Gyp wrote:
> >> Hells Bells
> >
> > Good idea, I think I'll toss that CD inthe player right now!
> >

> >> Perhaps I would have been better to have asked "What's the best way of justifing the purchase
> >> of an expensive bike to the other half?"
> >
> > How about I quit smoking and save the $3.00 per pack per day untillI can afford a really
> > nice bike.
>
> you could quit drinking beer and the funds would add up a lot sooner.
>
> Pennyh

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

Not the beer, anything but the beer.

:)

Spider

First you start hiding money every time you get paid until you have enough to buy the bike. Then you
buy it and hide the bike from you wife...somewhere like my house. This is guaranteed to work 100%.

OzarkMtbr

OzarkMtbr wrote:
> First you start hiding money every time you get paid until you have enough to buy the bike. Then
> you buy it and hide the bike from you wife...

Like the bike that went straight from the LBS to work and stayed there for 8 months...... not that
_I_ would do anything like that...... Come to think of it, SWMBO is still under the impresssion that
the LBS owns the RedLine and are just letting me "borrow it" for "extended stress testing"

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote: <snip>
> > I'm a Britanian. I figured I'd got you pegged right.
>
> <Chuckle> Its sometimes easy to forget that there is the atlantic ocean between subscribed
> newsgroups.

Hey, don't foget the Pacific too...
--
Westie

> You well at least I know how to flame on this newsgroup? <Grin>
>
> Gyp

> Penny S. wrote:
>
> > grow up and deal with things that cost money in a responsible, open, communicative manner?
>
> Do what? How? With a what-me-what?
>
> You do realise that you're talking to a bloke and you've just mentioned growing up, responsibility
> and open communication. Quite frankly, I'd not be surprised if he's imploded :)
>

> > Seriously, read some of the relationship wisdom being posted here.
> >
> > I'll add my own. Hopefully you and your SO have extra $$ to play with
once
> > in a while, If not then forget the bike. the way it works at my house, we support each others
> > passions that have occasional $$ outlays, when there is the money to do it. He may need
new
> > skis and boots or a Goretex drysuit, I may need a new bike. The new bike
had
> > to wait for the tax refund check, and he was very supportive of me spending more than **I** had
> > originally budgeted...but we talked about
it, I
> > communicated my budget and why I needed to spend that much, and then I
had
> > to wait until we had it, without a need for it to go elsewhere.
>
> Time I stuck my 0.02 Euro in...
>
> I think you're fortunate Penny, in that your hubby is the outdoorsy-type who shares many of your
> passions (shut it, Rimmer :) and understands why you have to spend significant money on them.
> Many relationships aren't like this. I've had girlfriends who really can't grasp the concept of
> spending that much cash on bikes, and I think this is where the conflict point is. A lot of the
> time, it doesn't matter if the cash is spare, the SO has numerous 'better' plans for spending
> the money.

I'd kinda agree with this. My partner used to spend a lot of money on horses - vast, great
gob-smacking globs of it. It made money spent on bikes pale in comparison. We didn't share accounts
so for the most part it was her money to do with what she wanted. However, we invariably couldn't do
a lot of stuff together because she was strapped for cash and paying a loan off for a horse too. I
always seemed to be paying for the extra things - movies, dinners, a few extra groceries here and
there, maybe a coupla cups of coffee, lunch, petrol, insurance bills, all the car maintenance,
accommodation on holidays... the list kept going on and on. In the end, we both paid for her hobby
but she couldn't (or didn't want to) see it that way. Her horses were her 'better plans' for 'her'
money. It nearly broke us up in the end. But we got it sorted out and now, for a couple of
completely different reasons, she's given up the horses and we're share the finances quite happily.
While it appeared to be a black and white situation, sorting it out wasn't as cut and dried as you
might think.
--
Westie

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Gyp wrote:
> > Hells Bells
>
> Good idea, I think I'll toss that CD inthe player right now!
>

> > Perhaps I would have been better to have asked "What's the best way of justifing the purchase of
> > an expensive bike to the other half?"
>
> How about I quit smoking and save the $3.00 per pack per day untillI can afford a really
> nice bike.

That's EXACTLY how I got into it! :) Except I was smoking thirty Benson & Hedges a day and it was
more like USD$7.00 a day.
--
Westie

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Perhaps I would have been better to have asked "What's the best way of justifing the purchase of
> an expensive bike to the other half?"

You could always try John G's method, just buy the damned thing and tell her it belongs to someone
else and you are just "borrowing" it.

-- The Ogre

Cheers Chaps and Chapeses there has been some solid replies and have been most helpfull.

So I've gone for the subtle approach of asking for a new bike for xmas (I like to plan ahead). Thus
we have plenty of time to save for it, oh and this also give me a chance to save for her equivilent
xmas pressie.

Amusing ideas like upgrading my current bike peice by peice until it became the bike I wanted. But
my other half is far from stupid and this wouldn't impress her much. Still I dare say there is
milage with this for upgrades..

Thanks again for the reponses..

Gyp

P.S. In response to posts that seem to insinuate that I am "childlike" I would like to point out
that I am nearly 40 (Next year!! <Whimper>) and would like to confirm that I have a mental age
of 12 <Chuckle>. Saddly crying and stamping my food until I get what I want doesn't work!
<Sigh> unless I am in a super market..

wanguard wrote:
> I like the best, just like you honey.
>
> D'

That's a goodone..

Reminds me of what shap assitants say if you look at something expensive and are trying to justify
the expense "But you obviously have good quality to appreciate the quality!.

Ta

"Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Cheers Chaps and Chapeses there has been some solid replies and have been most helpfull.
>

> So I've gone for the subtle approach of asking for a new bike for xmas (I like to plan ahead).
> Thus we have plenty of time to save for it, oh and this also give me a chance to save for her
> equivilent xmas pressie.
>
> Amusing ideas like upgrading my current bike peice by peice until it became the bike I wanted. But
> my other half is far from stupid and this wouldn't impress her much. Still I dare say there is
> milage with this for upgrades..
>
> Thanks again for the reponses..
>
> Gyp
>
> P.S. In response to posts that seem to insinuate that I am "childlike" I would like to point out
> that I am nearly 40 (Next year!! <Whimper>) and would like to confirm that I have a mental
> age of 12 <Chuckle>. Saddly crying and stamping my food until I get what I want doesn't work!
> <Sigh> unless I am in a super market..

I find holding my breath until I turn blue works pretty good. You should try
it.
--
Westie

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John G says:
>
> >Come to think of it, SWMBO is still under the impresssion that the LBS owns the RedLine and are
> >just letting me "borrow it" for "extended stress testing"
>
> Man - I hope your helmet is up to some "extended stress testing" when she
finds
> out.
>
> ;-)

Oooo, painful.........

Shaun aRe - should get a jock box for that.

Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I take your point Corvus, and I agree wholeheartedly, however, do you
really
> > think that's what this guy was about here? Not the impression I got from
the
> > post.
>
> ;-)
>
> My comments were not so much aimed directly at poor Gyp. I was more using his unfortunately
> phrased question as a stepping off point for a generalized unfocused rant.

Ah, hard to beat a generalised unfocussed rant. I like um.

> Collateral damage is unavoidable in this sort of thing...

Yeah yeah, tell that to the boss on judgement day.......

Shaun aRe - There's always more room in Hell.