breaking through plateau's

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by roadster99, Jan 23, 2009.

1. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

LOL, tell me about it. i've weighed this much and had the same body fat percentage since i was in high school. i am now 27 going on 28. it is scary. i had gotten laid off last year and was in a blue funk for a while. all i did was eat, watch tv, play video games and sleep. probably for a month straight. i did not gain 1 pound. i have no idea why, but i just metabolize everything extremely fast.

after i had that incident with that ride, i WAS scared. i went to the doctor and they did some blood work. my glucose level was like about 125 for a couple of days after. but after about 3-4 days, dropped below 110. it's like i wasn't processing sugar for a while and it was just floating around in my blood stream making me feel like total crap. but it wasn't a red flag for them anymore since i think they said 110 was like the cut-off point. at the end of the week, i was back to normal levels. so they told me watch my diet, eat less sugar, more high GI foods like oatmeal, etc. like i've said, i think i metabolize energy just way too fast and if i don't match what goes out with what goes in, i think i may hit a hypoglycemic state really fast, or something like that. it's like my gas tank is really, really small or something and i have to keep refilling it. so at the moment, i'm trying to dial my nutrition with some products like infinitnutrition. i'm not too sure how to tackle it right now since i can't afford professional coaching and nutritionalists, but that in and of itself is a topic on it's own.

so, that's my conundrum. trying to keep the weight, possibly gain, etc. is something my body does not like to do. i'm kind of a wierd specimen.

2. Meek One

Meek One New Member

Sorry, didn't mean go to the gym. I just meant try to add a few hundred calories to your diet and see if you can train harder... Try it for a week or two and see how you feel.

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Adding muscle will likely not equate to an increase in power on the bike. Adding time on the bike and ensuring adequate recovery will add power.

My biggest increases were realised after making my training very basic and solely focused on hard two hour sessions done 4 times a week. Being an English guy who used to do a fair amount of time trials, the training was basically 2 hours at just under my best 50 mile time trial effort. The last 30 minutes was never fun and I had to structure the ride to end with the roads being all slightly up hill. From that, over a period of 6 months I increased from 290watts, to 3 months later 310watts and at 6 months 340watts. These power outputs were at ~190bpm and 6mmol blood lactate. This is the training that I'm slowly working towards again. Now each session is 3x25 with 5 minutes rest.

Recently I "found" that my very limited flexibility was limiting me on the bike. After several weeks of lots of uncomfortable stretching both at home and with the aid of a sports therapist (along with some rather relaxing but uncomfortable massages) I've not only become more relaxed and comfortable on the bike but I can put out more power at a lower heart rate. I've been assigned lots of basic exercises for abdominal work to try and even out the fact that I have a "core" as strong as a newborn hamster and wondered why my back muscles get trashed. So far it's working out great.

Obviously, your milage may vary... but that's what makes it so much fun, no? ;)

4. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

yes, that's what makes it so much fun! seems like your body adapted very nicely to this training. would you consider your plan something like SST? at the same time though, your HR during training seems very high. i know when i start to reach 190bpm, i'm close to my limit. my threshold HR is around 170bpm. so @ 190, i'm starting to go anaerobic. which in my case, would be very difficult to hold for 25 minutes. but i will try the SST methods as mentioned previously. i think those, along with some Vo2 work will target more of what i'm shooting for...hopefully. you never know until you try!

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

SST for sure, although the latter part of each session didn't feel particularly sweet. It's amazing how much the motivation of being in a race makes a given effort so much easier and trying to get to within a few percent of that effort during training on a regular basis is sometimes a test of ones desire to improve. I don't have the same motivation now solely because I don't race... well, not yet anyway but when I did all I'd need to do was remember a certain key point in a race that was either really good or really bad and use that as a reminder as to why I was sat on a bike, dragging my gut out going up a slight hill really hard with a couple of layers of thermal gear and frozen hands and feet.

Good effective training is never easy but it becomes a lot easier if you have a well defined set of goals and expectations that are attainable with plenty of hard work.

6. Piotr

Piotr New Member

+1
    Roadster, I would also add that after 2-3 months of such "pigging out" and SST you may see a gain in power that you haven't seen before. Counting calories or dieting is the worst thing for effective training. Unfortunately, cyclists are forced to try to balance the two. Many times we have an "off" training day that can usually be explained by improper refueling in the preceding days.

I'm roughly your size (although perhaps 9% BF). Like Meek suggested, I believe you'll see some power gains if you allow yourself a few more calories. At your BF you certainly can afford it, especially since 3% may not be optimal for good endurance performance.

This year I'm totally into gaining power rather than losing weight and going to bed hungry is not an option. I've gained 1 kg, but I'm also 10+ W stronger vs. this time last year. I believe I'll be able to shed a couple of kg once I get outdoors.

Good luck.

7. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

well, due to the continuing theme, i think i will try to put a few pounds on. hopefully it will happen. although i haven't had much luck in the past. but we shall see. thanks for your insight and help with my questions, everyone who has contributed!

8. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

well, for those who are interested, attached is my power data on my local climb i've been attacking lately. my goal at the beginning of this thread was to reach 270w pavg up this hill (which equates to 5w/kg). using the methods recommended (4x5's w/2x20's and plenty of eating) i've managed to come close. i think that this goal may be attainable. thanks for the support. hopefully i can get this to work...

9. Piotr

Piotr New Member

Good job! Looks like you'll have it soon. And then you can invite me to stay at your house for 2 weeks and pay the airfare so I can race ya up that hill on my day off from laying on the beach. :D

10. kmavm

kmavm New Member

Not a doctor, not trying to play one on the internetz or anything, but: is there any chance at all you're a borderline type 1 diabetic? Not being able to gain weight is typical of a type 1, and while 110 is nominally "normal", I have never seen anything like 110 back when I was experimenting with glucose testing to lose weight (long story), even after pounding high-GI foods. Sorry if it seems like I'm being alarmist; I just wanted to make sure you really eliminated the possibility.

11. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

i wouldn't be surprised. i know if i eat too much sugar in a day i don't really feel very good, i.e. energy swings, headaches, hard sugar crashes. but i've managed to control my energy levels pretty good by just watching what i eat and sticking to healthier food options. so at the moment i'm not too worried, unless i start to progressively get worse with symptoms.

12. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

Id seriously get it checked out, diabetes is not something to mess around with, especially if you want to be round for the wife and child for the long run. After a quick read, the essential body fat for a man as stated is 2-4% for survival , with the leanest athletes typically compete at levels of about 5–8% for men. Briefly reading on some body building forums around the 3% mark you start to alter the function of your vital organs, so the record lows dipped by body builders only occur briefly before competition to limit long term harm (and they dont have to ride endurance at these levels) The leanest athletes typically compete at levels of about 5–8% for men. Given the rigours of road cycling, i would definately attempt to follow what others have stated and put on weight, being that low doest appear to be a good thing, and id assume would actually limit your endurance performance (ever seen what happens to marathon runners when they bonk, it aint cool). Also, is it possible that the test was not 100% accurate?

13. roadster99

roadster99 New Member

I'm pretty sure that the test was accurate. It was performed by my Doctor. I know I have a high metabolism, to start with. Putting on weight is very difficult for me. I've really been trying to lately. What goes in gets burnt off like kindling in a fire. For example, I can completely STUFF myself at lunchtime. An hour and a half to two hours later, I'm hungry. Weird, huh? In terms of what you say about endurance, I know exactly what you're talking about. After the 3 1/2 hour mark, I start to "crash" pretty hard. Really making sure I get what I need, starting around the 3 hour mark is critical.

Not to change topics, but the Time Trial was today. As stated at the beginning of this thread, I was training to perform a (climbing) Time Trial at 5w/kg. I started @ 240 watts, 20 min power. My goal was 270 watts, 20 min power. Using the advice garnered from the wonderful people of this forum, I accomplished that goal. I'll attach my power data for you all to see. If anyone is interested in the overall results, it should be located at www.bikeshophawaii.com or www.hawaiicyclingcup.com in a few days. Just look for my time, Jonathan Stocker 20:59 if ya don't believe me ;)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL WHO HELPED OUT. I CAN'T STRESS ANY HARDER HOW HELPFUL EVERYONE'S ADVICE WAS!