Not only does she have cancer to fight but she also
has to fight quackery.
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0350/031210_news_breastcancer.php
Running With Fear
Confessions of a breast cancer poster child.
by Jeanne Sather
[...]
"One relative, who happens to sell high-priced vitamins, pushed me to add
her brand of vitamins to my regimen while I was in chemotherapy. When I told
her that my doctor asked me not to take vitamins during chemo, because they
may interfere with its effectiveness, she said, "Doctors don't know what
they are talking about."
In fact, my doctor, Dr. Robert Livingston, does know what he is talking
about. He and a well-known local naturopath, Dr. Dan Labriola, have
collaborated on research on this subject.
But that's not really the point. It's my disease. I get to make the
decisions. If I want to eat peach pits and douse myself with holy water from
Lourdes, it's my decision. "
[...]