Breastfeeding in public!

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
I was in Dublin today - doing some business.

I had to take the LUAS back to the railway station.
I managed to get a seat when this young lady with a very young baby sat down beside me.

She said "I hope you don't mind..." as she popped out the left one, to have her
baby suckle away on his (her) dinner.

I didn't know what way to react.

In principle I have no problem with breastfeeding...but being in the immediate
vacinity when it's happening and in the middle of rush hour too !?!?!?

Any thoughts??

limerickman said:

I managed to get a seat when this young lady with a very young baby sat down beside me.

Any thoughts??

Get used to it. Things are different now. Don't stare. Say something nice or nothing at all - e.g. "Hey, a kid's gotta eat!". Maybe offer to switch seats so she'll be by the window. Careful here because a mistake in etiquette will brand you as a pig.

DiabloScott said:
Get used to it. Things are different now. Don't stare. Say something nice or nothing at all - e.g. "Hey, a kid's gotta eat!". Maybe offer to switch seats so she'll be by the window. Careful here because a mistake in etiquette will brand you as a pig.
Especially when it has a **** as well, and stinks the bus out on a warm day. So who's in charge of the etiquette of common courtesy. **** off.

Hell yes! Thanks to Jesus that you all felt the need to post this little conversation on the cycling forums!

i dont mind it if it was across the bus, but when it is happening in the adjoining seat it may be a bit uncomfortable.

women have breast pumps these days, so they can extract the milk into before they travel. There is no need for her to get it out on public transport.

then again, i couldnt really give a ferk. doesnt concern me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

disclaimer: i am not against women getting thier knockers out in public for other reasons

limerickman said:

Any thoughts??

Breastfeeding is what boobs were put there for.......if it is done discreetly, and I did it in such a fashion, I think that is fine. I tried not to breastfeed in public though, just around family and such. I don't think one needs to whip the **** out and such, it can be done with a minimum of fuss and no one even need know that you are even breastfeeding. Women who show off and throw their boobs around are the ones that give it bad vibes.

I do think that people need to get read and be more mature about this issue.

I've no problem with breastfeeding.

The lady in question asked a rhethorical question because she had the left one out before I could say yes, aye or no.
The baby had to be fed, I suppose.

ptlwp said:
Breastfeeding is what boobs were put there for
well that is one use for them i suppose...but their applications are pretty extensive.

which reminds me..

blonde goes to the doctors:

blonde: doc, i have a problem with my breasts
doc: okay madam, do you mind if i weigh them?
blonde: no, sure, go ahead
doc grabs one on each hand and goes 'weeehy hey heyy'

limerickman said:
Following up Pro's point - who would you like to breastfeed ya?????
if Britney wants to have a go at shoving her tits in my face, who am i to object?

If you don't mind, Britney or whatever, why should anyone else mind..they should mind their business or look the other way, eh?

ptlwp said:
If you don't mind, Britney or whatever, why should anyone else mind..they should mind their business or look the other way, eh?
i dont understand that sentence but i'll buy it all the same...

MountainPro said:
if Britney wants to have a go at shoving her tits in my face, who am i to object?

Not bad.

Although I've always gone for the brunettes myself (brunette hair that is, not
brunette t@@@).

In her day, Sophia Loren.

limerickman said:
...Any thoughts??
Nowt wrong with it. Better that they're doing that than pouring Nestlé's finest commercial **** down their throats. Breastfeeding is also a big part of bonding (that's why I still like to lock-on for a nuzzle myself - it's the bonding, dontcha know?).
It is a perfectly natural thing to do (about as natural as things get). If social conditioning makes it seem unacceptable, then society is at fault, not the baby (nor the mother).
I'm pleased to hear that there are a few natural processes going on in this ever-more artificial World we are creating.

I think it is inappropriate. Yes, that is the way a baby is fed, but you can bottle the stuff up for times like that.

As much as I like the female bosom, I don't want to see a baby suckin' away.

TrekDedicated said:
I think it is inappropriate...
When I worked in the Highlands in Papua New Guinea, women would often have a baby suckling on 1 *** and a piglet suckling on the other. I guess they didn't know that it was inappropriate.
I would have thought that baby + *** is about as appropriate a combination as mammals have managed to come up with - almost like they were made for each other.
Baby wants milk - Mum has breast with milk - Baby suckles milk from Mum's breast - "Nothing to see here, folks, move down the bus, please..."
The only reason that tits have now become something that everyone's meant to be ashamed of is that social conditioning has made it so. Your social conditioning tells you that it is not good - my social conditioning tells me that it is good.
Most of you parents out there will know that, when a baby is breastfeeding, about all that you are likely to see is the back of the baby's sconce - it's not quite at the level of a lap-dance. What, exactly, does the inappropriateness relate to? I'm not just asking you, TD, I'm asking all of those of you who feel that way. I respect your views and don't wish to change them, but I'd like to know something of the logic behind them.
Why did you feel embarrassed, Lim? Was it because something was actually wrong, or was it because you thought that any wayward glance might be taken the wrong way? Do you think the problem (perhaps not the correct term) was hers or yours? Is it because in modern society, funbags have become totally associated with their sexual arousal function and their primary mammalian function is no longer recognised?

EoinC said:
Why did you feel embarrassed, Lim? Was it because something was actually wrong, or was it because you thought that any wayward glance might be taken the wrong way? Do you think the problem (perhaps not the correct term) was hers or yours? Is it because in modern society, funbags have become totally associated with their sexual arousal function and their primary mammalian function is no longer recognised?

Eoin,

I didn't feel embarrassed.
Seems that breastfeeding is the most natural thing in thw world.

What I was mildly perturbed by was when the question was asked "do you mind if........", the lady in question didn't particularly care if I did or if I didn't mind : she was going to feed the baby regardless.

And I suppose, you hit on a good point.
Women don't breastfeed publicly to a great extent here.

limerickman said:
Eoin,

I didn't feel embarrassed...
Acknowledged, Lim (that was an erroneous assumption by me). It's a weird kind of thing, but some women develop a new assertiveness after having a child. It can stir an inner strength that can be very impressive (or scary) to behold.
My wife makes Boadicea look like a Barbie Doll when the Billie Lids are involved. Not a force that I would try reckoning with (at least not without putting my beer goggles on first).