Breastmilk for adults

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Todd Gastaldo, May 9, 2004.

  1. In 2002, 15 adults received donor milk...

    "HUMAN MILK MAY BE A LIFESAVING THERAPY..."

    "Donor milk has been used to successfully treat a number of medical
    conditions in infants. This article highlights 3 such success stories
    describing the use of human milk in cases of velocardiofacial syndrome,
    very-low-birth weight, and failure to thrive. In 2002, more than 300 infants
    and young children ***and 15 adults*** received donor milk from 6 milk banks
    in
    the United States and I milk bank in Canada. Donor milk is often used to
    ensure optimal outcomes in full term or preterm infants until their own
    mother's milk volume is sufficient to meet their needs. However, human milk
    may be a lifesaving therapy for infants and young children with unusual
    medical conditions."
    --Tully et al.^^^ J Hum Lact. 2004 Feb;20(1):75-7. PubMed abstract
    (***emphasis added***)

    ^^^Tully MR, Lockhart-Borman L, Updegrove K. Lactation Services, University
    of North Carolina Healthcare, Chapel Hill, USA.

    "...Milk bank[ing] mandates pasteurization and freezing of the donors' milk.
    Most of the nutritional and immunological advantages of human milk are
    preserved ..."
    Riskin and Bader^^^. Harefuah. 2003 Mar;142(3):217-22, 237, 236. PubMed
    abstract

    ^^^Riskin A, Bader D. Department of Neonatology, Bnai Zion Medical Center,
    Haifa, Israel.

    Breastfeeding IS immunization. (See LITTLE KNOWN FACT below.)

    Vaccination is NOT immunization.

    Vaccination is ATTEMPTED immunization, i.e., some vaccinated children are
    NOT IMMUNIZED by their vaccinations.

    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Breastfeeding women scan their environments for
    pathogens and manufacture IMMUNIZATIONS which they "inject" with their
    breasts daily.

    WHY aren't MDs telling the world that breastfeeding women are IMMUNIZERS -
    esp. since breastfeeding
    reportedly makes MD-needle-vaccinations work better?!

    Why are ostensibly "pro-immunization" MDs missing this GOLDEN opportunity to
    make the immunization rate *and* the vaccination rate skyrocket!?

    Ask yourselves...

    What woman is going to fail to at least ATTEMPT to breastfeed after being
    explicitly informed that she can immunize her baby daily and that her
    breastfeedings possibly make MD-needle vaccinations work better?

    The relatively few women who can't or won't breastfeed should consider
    breastmilk from breastmilk banks before going to formula; and breastfeeding
    women who aren't already pumping should consider pumping and donating any
    amount of this precious fluid that they don't use.

    If we make the immunization (breastfeeding) rate and the vaccination rate
    skyrocket, there will be PLENTY of milk banked for the few women who have
    difficulty breastfeeding...

    AND there will be more breastmilk to help adults...

    Thanks for reading, everyone.

    Sincerely,

    Todd

    Dr. Gastaldo
    [email protected]

    PS Pass the word...

    Key IMMUNIZATION controversy is being SQUELCHED because parents aren't
    being told that massive numbers of immunizations are being DENIED simply
    because relevant cultural authorities (MDs) aren't telling the world that
    women are natural IMMUNIZERS.

    VACCINATION controversy is also being squelched: State laws must be
    changed: MDs are endangering *vaccinated* children - by pretending that
    vaccination equals immunization and by failing to report serious adverse
    events following vaccination...

    See Vaccination is ATTEMPTED immunization (Attn: Mitch Haas, DC at WSCC)

    See also: Interviewing pediatricians (re: immunizations and vaccinations)

  2. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Todd Gastaldo writes:

    > In 2002, 15 adults received donor milk...

    That's not many out of over 300 million people.

    Breastmilk is quite high in lactose, as I recall, and most adults are at
    least slightly lactose-intolerant, so drinking significant quantities of
    human milk may produce tummy upsets. It's not clear from your post
    exactly what the benefit of breastmilk would be for adults over cow's
    milk, and breastmilk is in very short supply and is not tightly
    controlled for quality and consistency.

  3. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Todd Gastaldo writes:

    > True. But how many of those 300 million people have heard that breastmilk
    > contains IMMUNIZATIONS?

    Breastmilk does not contain immunizations; it contains antibodies, IIRC,
    which are not the same thing.

    > But lactose-intolerant persons could be informed of the risks - and
    > they may not *need* "significant quantities" to produce a therapeutic
    > effect - whatever that therapeutic effect might be.

    I doubt that there is much of a therapeutic effect. Human milk has
    essentially the same ingredients as all other mammalian milks; the basic
    ingredients are always the same across all species, with the only
    differences being in proportions and some trace ingredients.

    > I had assumed that the immunizations and other immune factors in breastmilk
    > would work as well in adults as in babies.

    They probably would, but adults usually have their own antibodies
    already.

    > Is human milk "lifesaving"?

    In adults? I don't think so.

    > Cow's milk is EXCELLENT for baby cows - but adult cows normally don't drink
    > it.

    Replace "cow" with "human being," and the statement is still true.

    > Similarly with humans - so maybe adult humans shouldn't drink human milk?

    Maybe. But in that case they probably shouldn't drink cow's milk,
    either.

    I think the main reason people drink cow's milk is that it is much more
    plentiful and easy to cultivate.

    > Something tells me though that humans should not be drinking **so much**
    > cow's milk.
    >
    > I do like my cafe mochas though! : )

    I've been drinking cow's milk all my life, and I haven't seen any harm
    from it.